on 28 October 2008
I plug mine into the mains using a USB mains adaptor. There are no flashing lights and gives off a nice blue glow from the light around the base. It sits in our living room and is not a distraction. We play the PS3 quit a lot and the charger has no problems recharging the controllers. I would recommend this but buy a USB mains adaptor so that the PS3 does not need to be on to charge the controllers.
on 4 February 2008
This docking station give a tidy place to store your controllers. Plus charges the controllers when the PS3 is switched on. This works fine for me, as one controller can be charged when playing 1 player games. ie one controler is left in the docking station. Also I have the bluetooth remote control, so when watching films or downloading demos etc. both controllers are kept topped up.

As for comments about the flashing lights, well this is optional. Simply press the button on the docking station and they can be on or off, but the controllers still charge in either state...

Another advantage is this is a tidy solution, so the wire can be hidden permanently and just have the docking station available for storing and charging the controllers.
Rather than having a loose USB cable and no where tidy to place the controllers when charging..

Finally this station means two controllers get charged off one USB port, so if like me, you have a 40Gb PS3 and you only have 2 USB ports, this is great.
44 comments|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 July 2008
This is certainly worth buying if you have a ouple of controllers, it keeps them charged at all times and keeps them neat and tidy instead of thrown all over the living room and tucked behind sofas.

I have plugged mine into my V+ box and they sit nicely beside it, I believe some freeview boxes and SKY + boxes have a USB port on the back so if like me you have 40gb PS3 then you don't need to use any of those ports.

Overall I would say buy it.
on 23 July 2012
This is a brilliant purchase, I bought this for my brother as we like doing a lot of 2 player games, I bought this especially because every time I went over, There was always 1 controller which was needed charging so I usually ended up sitting on the floor or something, With this though, Both Controllers are being charged at the same time so that problem will not happen again, My brother seems to have found a way where he can plug it into his TV too so the controllers are charging even if hes just watching TV! And finally the nice little bonus is its a place to store your controllers when not using them. Over all I highly recommend this product, Esecially for anyone who loves to play 2 player games with friends and family, It will eliminate any chance of having to wait for something to charge while everyone else is ready etc, A brilliant price too and free delivery, What more could you ask for.
on 22 February 2013
Have had this for over a year now, fantastic bit of kit. To allow the controller to charge while the PS3 is off, I have it plugged into the back of my Vergin Media box (they have a couple of usb ports on the back, Sky box's are the same I believe). As that is switched on all the time I have power to charge all the time, so the controller is always ready to use. The unit itself is robust and I have had no issues at all
on 6 February 2011
This is a great piece of kit if you have two or more controllers, you can fit two controllers on at a time and they only take a couple of hours to achieve full charge, there is even a button so you can turn on a light (The grey border you can see on the base of the unit) that will illuminate the surrounding area while it charges. This is a space saver too as you can leave your controllers in there overnight or when you are not using them, either to keep em fully charged or remove the usb cable.
You can plug the unit into anything with a USB input, e.g. PS3, computer, cable boxes.
The bugbear is that there is no usb cable supplied with the unit, however! You can use the one you got with the PS3 controller, so it doesn't make too much of an issue.

I would fully recommend this unit as it is good value for money and fits almost anywhere as it is not cumbersome.
on 30 December 2007
Just to clarify a previous reveiwer stated that the lights don't light up on the controller it self when connected to a usb plug charger. This is because they onlylight up when they are connected to a ps3. However they still ae charging.

dont be put off buying
on 9 March 2009
Does what it says on the packaging. Finally - a way to make my hubby put the controllers away!(No longer do we find Staffie teeth marks in them.) What is more, the charging dock itself is inobtrusive enough to rest next to the PS3 on the sideboard, and the blue glow around the base of the dock emitted when on charge is quite stylish. Charge seems to last for ages too. Great to have two controllers so I can prove how much better than him I am at COD World at War!! Lost count how many times I have killed him - so therapeutic!!! Did I say I was a PS3 widow? Oops....
on 15 December 2013
Well I think my headline says it all! It doesn't charge 2 controllers at the same time, in fact it doesn't even charge one often. So my advice: don't buy this s*** item please!
on 3 May 2011
I'm rating this deliberately low so I can highlight to readers that I had a different product delivered by Mr. Gadget's Solutions. It was still a twin charger for my controllers, but it wasn't the one in the pictures that's branded Competition Pro; mine wasn't branded at all.

The one i received seemed to function well and would have been acceptable (despite feeling slightly mislead) if it would allow me to charge two controllers both fitted with EA Sports: Comfort Play Pack with Game Grip Technology (PS3). The small size of the unit is very neat and an advantage unless one needs a certain amount of space between the controllers to allow for the hand grips (which i highly recommend).

The package i received contained the charging unit and an appropriate USB to mini-USB cable. The LED's were green to indicate power and switched to red to indicate charging. I've uploaded some images to demonstrate, hopefully they're there.
review image review image