5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile Good Quality Lens - Good value, 12 May 2009
This review is from: Sony AF DT 55-200mm F/4-5.6 SAM Telephoto Zoom lens for Sony/Minolta (Accessory)
Sony SAL55200 Compact & Light Weight Telephoto Zoom (55-200mm)
I bought this lens to go with a newly purchased Sony Alpha 200 DSLR. This lens now supplements the standard Sony 18-70mm lens.(Which is very good in itself but of course is limited to 70mm)
This 55-200mm lens is very versatile indeed, increasing my shooting and composition options greatly. I am very impressed with this lens. The quality of the lens, its autofocus and results are very pleasing and for the money represents excellent value.
As an amateur photographer who has just returned to photography (DSLR) this is absolutely ideal.
For a similar price you can get a Sony 75-300mm lens, so if you regularly need more or greater telephoto power in your shooting then the 75-300mm lens may be the better bet.
Sony Alpha 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Lens
However you can stick on this 55-200mm lens for a fantastic variety of shots and it will do the job very nicely.
Just give some specific thought as to the type of shooting you will be doing with it.
For people who do not need to be too consicious of their budget, Sony do a nice looking 18-250mm lens that also looks very good and is even more of an all rounder.
Sony SAL18250 All In One Zoom Lens (18-250mm)

5.0 out of 5 stars CAN'T GO WRONG !!, 1 Aug 2011
I took a long time to select which Zoom Lens to purchase and went for this one because of it being light Weight. Well... it has improved my photography no end! I am an amateur having had attended 2 DSLR courses and what I have learned put me in great stead with this lens. All of a sudden I have professional photo's. I attended my cousins annual BBQ and photograped all evening, the shots I have of everyone and what was going on... so close up is unbelieveable. Even took one from the bedroom window looking down !! Everyone (expecially myself) was so impressed with the results. Fantastic, need to get out and use it daily now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 16 Mar 2011
Exactly what I was looking for at a fantastic price. Results are outstanding ( for me ), recommended seller, Dave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Lens, 23 Feb 2010
SAAB boy (Newcastle upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
I bought this lens to complement a recently purchased second-hand Sony Alpha 300 with 18-70mm zoom lens. Sony originally offered the Alpha 300 with both zooms but for some reason the 55-200mm was not included so I decided to buy a new one.
In comparison to old 35mm film standards the lens are eqivalent to 28-105mm for the 18-70 and 80-300mm for the SAL55200 giving an incredible useful range for the majority of amateur use. The SAL55200 is extremely light in weight and not significantly larger than its shorter zoom partner. It also comes with a useful lens hood to prevent flare on shots. Having image stabilisation in the camera body keeps the lens weight down considerably.
Having used it now for the last month I am extremely impressed with the quality of the images and its functionality. Auto focus is very smooth and having recently photographed kayakers dropping over Low Force waterfall in Co. Durham at 1000th sec shutter speed with motor-drive engaged, the images were extremely sharp and well-balanced. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lens, 14 Dec 2013
This item meets all my requirements, is excellent quality and I would recommend it to a friend and I would certainly purchase it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for general use with extra zoom, 27 May 2013
Got this lens to fit my A500 as I needed a better zoon than the standard 18-55mm lens as was attanding a wedding. It does the job perfectly, I highly recomend it for a good bit of extra zoom ideal for taking perfect photos at a respectable distance with no grain to your photographs.
Ideal for portrait pictures too.
I had looked at other makes to do the job, but SOny lenses with Sony cameras have perfect compatability :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony SAL55200 Compact & Light Weight Telephoto Zoom (55-200mm), 4 Aug 2010
An excellent lens for a beginner and is lightweight. I have tried it and like it very much. Next time I will go for a stronger one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value, 16 Aug 2013
I don`t need to review this lens,Other people have done a far better job than I can. it was bought second hand and came as described, was well packaged and very quick delivery.

ARRAY(0xaaf5cde0)