5.0 out of 5 stars I became an instant fan after watching this
Some friends of mine went to see Russell at the Colston Hall in Bristol last year, and I declined having never heard of the fella. I'd never really bothered with Mock The Week and didn't have a digital radio at that point, so he was a completely unknown quantity to me. Then my girlfriend had this DVD bought for her for Christmas. I was instantly gutted that I hadn't seen...
Published on 15 Dec 2009 by Ash

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the laugh-fest I'd hoped for!
Writing reviews for comedy DVD's - particularly stand up - is very difficult as comedy is so subjective. I had seen Russell Howard on BBC1's "Live at the Apollo" and I thought his 20 minutes set was one of the funniest and most refreshing performances I had seen in recent years and I bought the DVD on day of release.

To my slight dismay I found it a little...
Published on 20 Nov 2008 by Gary Hilton

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 HOUR OF MY LIFE HAS BEEN LOST FOREVER!!!, 27 Dec 2008
Mr. J. Wain "DEKKER" (YORKSHIRE UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Howard Live [DVD] (DVD)
So what is all the hype about Russell Howard? I wondered this before I received this DVD for Xmas. I sat down to watch this with an open mind, hopeful that I may see what others see. From start to finish I managed half a small chuckle. These aren't jokes that he rattles through but uninteresting anecdotes about his life, that are best kept to himself.

Russell's style is certainly unique. You hear him race through story after story, each one beginning before the previous one ends. He barely leaves time to take a breath and thankfully no pause for people to laugh, which is just as well as he doesn't say anything remotely funny anyway. If you enjoy Mock the Week, as I do, then you will be familiar with his stand-up material already as he recycles it over again in this DVD.

VERDICT - 1 star (ONLY BECAUSE IT ISN"T POSSIBLE TO SCORE IT ZERO STARS!!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Hilarious!, 16 July 2008
Samantha Brookfield (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Howard Live [DVD] (DVD)
I didn't go to see this show at the Bloomsbury Theatre where the dvd was recorded, but I went to the same show at the Royal Court Theatre in Liverpool and there is no denying that this man is side splittingly funny! He was always my favourite comedian on Mock The Week and going to see his show confirmed to me that he's something special. His support act was awful however so I really hope he doesn't make the cut of the DVD! However, if you love Russell's kooky humour on Mock The Week then I highly recommend this to you! I know I'll be buying it to keep me amused before I go and see him live again in December!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 31 Dec 2008
F. Shaw (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Howard Live [DVD] (DVD)
He really is one of the rising stars of our generation, if you don't like someone who manages to find the fun and beauty in life's smallest events then this isn't the show for you. For everyone else though it is one of the best stand up shows I think has come out in the last year.

His energy from the performance almost oozes off the screen and manages to somehow infect you too, certainly a must for your collection for when you are having a down day and need cheering up.

Simply brilliant.

1.0 out of 5 stars Arrrggghhh the Russells they're taking over the world with their bland senses of humour, 11 Dec 2008
This review is from: Russell Howard Live [DVD] (DVD)
There appears to be an epidemic of Russells in the world of stand-up at the moment. There's Russell Brand (the egregious focus of Daily Mail readers), Russell Kane (recently seen on Live At The Apollo) and the childlike Russell Howard (the subject of this review). Unfortunately they all seem to suffer from the same affliction, a nasty case of verbal diarrhoea. Something their fanbase of largely teenage female screamers seem blithely unaware.

Unlike Bland, Russell Kane and Russell Howard are fairly new to me. Both have similar styles and both are young, popular comedians. Both have a sort of machine gun delivery and rattle through there sets like they have somewhere pressing to go to. There's no pause, no change in tempo; one story merges into the next without any noticeable conclusion. Clearly they do this (like Ben Elton used to do in his early days of stand-up) to stop the hecklers having a chance to intervene but unlike Ben Elton their aim is wonky and they rarely hit the funny bone. In fact I found myself drifting off for large parts of both shows and can't say I found anything particularly memorable in either.

On the plus side Russell Howard is boyish and charming and his humour unchallenging and predictable (not that positive obviously!). He clearly has talent, as he showed in the encore when he answered questions with good humour but this show is ultimately just rather dull.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful.., 19 Nov 2008
Stephen Nesbitt (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Howard Live [DVD] (DVD)
I do actually like Russell Howard on mock the week but what was he thinking when doing this dvd. I really dont know how other people have rated this dvd as 5 stars, i thought it was awful. In all honesty, i've only seen the first 20 minutes, i turned it off after that. Russell seems to bounce around the stage like a hyperactive kid, he rushes everything he says, and to top it off, isnt even funny. I was most dissappointed with this dvd. ..

5.0 out of 5 stars just a lovely breath of fresh air, 5 Oct 2008
pete "big blue pete" (edinburgh scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Russell Howard Live [DVD] (DVD)
Just seen him in Edinburgh where the show ended with his support act being licked clean of Rollo Yoghurt by a ginger from the audience. Russell was endearingly lovely, unaffected, honest, funny and infectious. Full of plea bargaining for a more tolerant less angry world full of absurd connections and sexy moments. Also it wasnt just a rehash of what he says on Mock The Week!! You gotta love him for that!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Brakethrough of 08, 4 Dec 2008
This review is from: Russell Howard Live [DVD] (DVD)
This is an absolute must buy, if you're worried it'll e the same old jokes from mock the week DON'T. Highly origional, very quick, very energetic, wonderfully wacky and all the other cliche's. If you get 1 stand up dvd this year make it this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Pure Genius!, 8 Nov 2008
Matthew Wilson "M477H3WW!L50N" (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Howard Live [DVD] (DVD)
I've seen Russell Howard twice on stage, both times I've been rolling in the aisles. His jokes are quick, clever, and outrageous, especially the one about his brother! He deserves to go far. I will definitely buy this DVD as soon as it's released!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even the right product, 29 Oct 2011
This review is from: Russell Howard Live [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this product about 6 days ago when the pre-determined arrival was 2. Also, they sent me a film called OutLander. When you can't find a dvd, don't send us alternatives

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, 6 Nov 2007
Mr. I. Powell "Ian" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Howard Live [DVD] (DVD)
Finally, a Russell Howard DVD! Even thought I'm reviewing this before it's released, I know it's going to be fantyastic, as I was at the show it was recorded (well, there was a dude with a massive camera!) and it was hilarious. I've seen Russell many times (going tonight as well) and he gets beter and better. A must buy

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

Russell Howard Live [DVD]
Russell Howard Live [DVD] by Russell Howard (DVD - 2008)