5.0 out of 5 stars Love it
Fantastic DVD. Frankie really does cross the line, time and time again. Not for the over sensetive out there :-)
Published 16 months ago by G. D. McAulay

3.0 out of 5 stars Grates after a while
Published on 26 Mar 2009 by SilentSinger

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 5 Mar 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't make my mind up, 18 Nov 2008
Mr. J. Earl (Taunton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
I've watched almost every episode of Mock the Week and think that Frankie Boyle is the true star of the programme. Whilst I respect he's not to everyone's taste his 'close to the knuckle' style of humour always makes me wet myself, although I do sometimes find myself cringing in disbelief at some of the stuff he comes out with.

When I heard he was coming to my home town of Taunton I immediately snapped up tickets to see him. It's not often an act of his stature comes to visit. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the show and was in stitches throughout, as were the rest of the audience from what I could see. Yes, some of the jokes I had heard before on Mock the Week but this only accounted for around 10% of the show. The rest was fresh to my ears and some of it was obviously brand new material as he was talking about events that had only happened that week. Personally I thought that on the night his interaction with the audience was fantastic and appeared to be 'off the cuff', even if the "what do you do?" line did wear a bit thin come the end. However, be warned... If you don't like the use of the word 'c**t' do not go to see Frankie as it's used very frequently.

So good was Frankie's performance that I had to go out and buy the DVD. To be honest it was a bit of a waste of money cos the routine was exactly the same as the show, minus the recent topical stuff. Even the cruel remarks to the audience were the same. So much for being off the cuff! It soon became clear why he kept asking the audience what they did for work. Any other questions would have required Frankie to make something up on the spot instead of the well rehearsed replies he used at both the live show I went to and the DVD. To be fair to him though I was kind of expecting this to be the case. It was exactly the same when I watched Alan Carr's DVD after seeing him live. I guess most comedians have a well rehearsed routine that they adapt slightly as the tour progresses. Some clearly adapt more than others. However, I have to say that despite all of this I did find myself watching the whole DVD from start to finish and laughing at all the same jokes and put downs as I had the night before. There's just no denying that this guy is extremely funny. Whether Frankie will be remembered in time to come for his stand up routines or his television work on shows such as Mock the Week remains to be seen. I for one shall be watching with interest.

In summary this DVD is a must buy if you haven't seen one of Frankie's live shows. However if you have seen him live, unless you want a memento of your night I would save your pennies and buy something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking stuff, 24 July 2009
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
Honestly, what a miserable bunch of s*ds some of the previous reviewers are! If you 'get' Frankie Boyle, this is vintage stuff, every poisonous observation more deadly and well-aimed than the last. I even winced a few times, and I would have said there's nothing I find offensive. Yes, some of the material's familiar - didn't stop me laughing at it - but what's so remarkable about this DVD is the incessant, remorseless, tastelessness of it all, so dark and grim that you come out the other side experiencing the catharsis only a performance of King Lear could generate. Genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frankie Boyle, 17 July 2009
Mr. Ian Huddlestone "Ian H" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
Really funny stand up concert. Frankie goes to places other comics might avoid so this concert is not for those who can get offended by sensitive issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bits of rehashed material does not an unenjoyable show make..., 27 Mar 2009
Philip Kim "Philip Kim" (Temple City, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
As a Yank, it's quite hard to see "Mock the Week" with any regularity (Thanks, YouTube!). While it IS true that there is material in this show that HAS been on "Mock the Week", there is material that hasn't been on the show, and also, as a live show, there are responses to heckles and audience participation (there's one such response to an oil rig worker in his extra "F-ck You Scotland" that made the extra worth watching), some of which are singularly guffaw-worthy.

I did take issue, as another reviewer did, the fact that one line seemed a bit disingenuous as to its origin, but overall, I find this DVD a worthy buy, especially as a Frankie Boyle fan, and doubly especially as someone who lives in the U.S.

The show is basically a series of offensive one-liners, as opposed to a series of narratives (like Dara Ó Briain), so anyone who doesn't take to that kind of humor might not be happy with the experience. I, however, can't get enough of it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Grates after a while, 26 Mar 2009
SilentSinger (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a fan of stand up comedy and have enjoyed Frankie's wicked wit on `Mock The Week' so I was looking forward to seeing some of his uncensored stuff on this `near the knuckle' DVD. Boyle spends an awful lot of time interacting with the audience and taking the mickey out of them in a fairly cruel manner. There's loads of swearing, but that is to be expected of a certificate 18 DVD. Material wise, most of it has been heard before on television, which was always the reason a number of comics preferred not to grace the box. I did find myself laughing out loud at several bits but generally it went on too long and 90 minutes is a little too much of Boyle as he grates a little towards the end. There are a few extras: namely a behind the scenes bit on Boyle's UK tour and sketches extracted from the little-known BBC3 comedy show `Rush Hour'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frankie Boyle Live - Pure Filthy Genious, 1 Feb 2009
Daniel M. Mort (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
The title says it all. I found this show absolutly hilarious but it's deffinatly not for everyone. The subjects of some of the jokes will offend almost anyone, still he pulls it off in a brilliantly clever way. I would recommend this to anyone who can see the lighter side of some frankly evil gags!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rude, crude and extremely shocking, but this is absolutely hilarious!, 31 Jan 2009
Tommy Ray (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
You may have heard quite a few of the jokes included on 'Mock The Week', but i think with his live shows Frankie is able to break a boundary that cannot be crossed on primetime television.

Frankie's humour is dark, brilliant and often controversial; so those who are easily offended should probably steer clear of this DVD, but if you're a fan of "M.T.W", in particular Frankie, this is 100% recommended!
This man is a genius!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 28 Jan 2009
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
I see some reviews saying it was MTW material. I watch MTW regularly, and cant say I noticed any repeat stuff. I think the links between each funny section could be a bit more fluid, but overall, very enjoyable. I think he's original, and that's important.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mock the week without the co-stars!, 16 Dec 2009
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
It is amusing to a certain extent but just proves that nothing is spontaneous, its all scripted! You'd be as well watching reruns of mock and forwarding to Frankies bits as its word for word. Disappointing.

Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD]
Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] by Frankie Boyle (DVD - 2008)
3.99