Published on 27 Mar 2009 by Philip Kim

3.0 out of 5 stars Grates after a while
Published on 26 Mar 2009 by SilentSinger

3.0 out of 5 stars Grates after a while, 26 Mar 2009
SilentSinger (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a fan of stand up comedy and have enjoyed Frankie's wicked wit on `Mock The Week' so I was looking forward to seeing some of his uncensored stuff on this `near the knuckle' DVD. Boyle spends an awful lot of time interacting with the audience and taking the mickey out of them in a fairly cruel manner. There's loads of swearing, but that is to be expected of a certificate 18 DVD. Material wise, most of it has been heard before on television, which was always the reason a number of comics preferred not to grace the box. I did find myself laughing out loud at several bits but generally it went on too long and 90 minutes is a little too much of Boyle as he grates a little towards the end. There are a few extras: namely a behind the scenes bit on Boyle's UK tour and sketches extracted from the little-known BBC3 comedy show `Rush Hour'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bits of rehashed material does not an unenjoyable show make..., 27 Mar 2009
Philip Kim "Philip Kim" (Temple City, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
As a Yank, it's quite hard to see "Mock the Week" with any regularity (Thanks, YouTube!). While it IS true that there is material in this show that HAS been on "Mock the Week", there is material that hasn't been on the show, and also, as a live show, there are responses to heckles and audience participation (there's one such response to an oil rig worker in his extra "F-ck You Scotland" that made the extra worth watching), some of which are singularly guffaw-worthy.

I did take issue, as another reviewer did, the fact that one line seemed a bit disingenuous as to its origin, but overall, I find this DVD a worthy buy, especially as a Frankie Boyle fan, and doubly especially as someone who lives in the U.S.

The show is basically a series of offensive one-liners, as opposed to a series of narratives (like Dara Ó Briain), so anyone who doesn't take to that kind of humor might not be happy with the experience. I, however, can't get enough of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
Fantastic DVD. Frankie really does cross the line, time and time again. Not for the over sensetive out there :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't make my mind up, 18 Nov 2008
Mr. J. Earl (Taunton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
I've watched almost every episode of Mock the Week and think that Frankie Boyle is the true star of the programme. Whilst I respect he's not to everyone's taste his 'close to the knuckle' style of humour always makes me wet myself, although I do sometimes find myself cringing in disbelief at some of the stuff he comes out with.

When I heard he was coming to my home town of Taunton I immediately snapped up tickets to see him. It's not often an act of his stature comes to visit. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the show and was in stitches throughout, as were the rest of the audience from what I could see. Yes, some of the jokes I had heard before on Mock the Week but this only accounted for around 10% of the show. The rest was fresh to my ears and some of it was obviously brand new material as he was talking about events that had only happened that week. Personally I thought that on the night his interaction with the audience was fantastic and appeared to be 'off the cuff', even if the "what do you do?" line did wear a bit thin come the end. However, be warned... If you don't like the use of the word 'c**t' do not go to see Frankie as it's used very frequently.

So good was Frankie's performance that I had to go out and buy the DVD. To be honest it was a bit of a waste of money cos the routine was exactly the same as the show, minus the recent topical stuff. Even the cruel remarks to the audience were the same. So much for being off the cuff! It soon became clear why he kept asking the audience what they did for work. Any other questions would have required Frankie to make something up on the spot instead of the well rehearsed replies he used at both the live show I went to and the DVD. To be fair to him though I was kind of expecting this to be the case. It was exactly the same when I watched Alan Carr's DVD after seeing him live. I guess most comedians have a well rehearsed routine that they adapt slightly as the tour progresses. Some clearly adapt more than others. However, I have to say that despite all of this I did find myself watching the whole DVD from start to finish and laughing at all the same jokes and put downs as I had the night before. There's just no denying that this guy is extremely funny. Whether Frankie will be remembered in time to come for his stand up routines or his television work on shows such as Mock the Week remains to be seen. I for one shall be watching with interest.

In summary this DVD is a must buy if you haven't seen one of Frankie's live shows. However if you have seen him live, unless you want a memento of your night I would save your pennies and buy something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking stuff, 24 July 2009
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
Honestly, what a miserable bunch of s*ds some of the previous reviewers are! If you 'get' Frankie Boyle, this is vintage stuff, every poisonous observation more deadly and well-aimed than the last. I even winced a few times, and I would have said there's nothing I find offensive. Yes, some of the material's familiar - didn't stop me laughing at it - but what's so remarkable about this DVD is the incessant, remorseless, tastelessness of it all, so dark and grim that you come out the other side experiencing the catharsis only a performance of King Lear could generate. Genius.

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish some people would just get over it, 27 Dec 2008
Robert Bamber - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
Well it annoys me to start like this. But I have to given the negative reaction.

The re-use of material - Frankie is in an unusual position. Because of the exposure Mock the Week has - and the amount of time he gets on it - he gets through a lot of his own material during a series on the show. And because of his over-exposure (and TV channel 'DAVE' - which shows endless repeats of old series) - there an overspill of material onto this DVD. I don't see this as a problem - its his material - he's written it, he's entitled to use it on his DVD. The way some people review on here is like he's done a 'Peter Kay' and re-released a DVD of Mock the Week jokes - he hasn't.

Secondly. To whatever person said that "90-99% of the jokes are from Mock The Week" - wrong. I can't tell you a rough amount, purely because I've seen endless runs of Mock the Week, I've seen him live on tour, I've watched him on Live at the Apollo, and now this DVD - so I've forgotten what material was used on Mock The Week and what wasn't. But I can say with a fair amount of confidence that its no more than 40-50% at tops. And even so, the 'A' material is only on this DVD - which in itself makes it worth buying.

So to the review. It's four stars mainly because of his interaction with the audience - is poor. It's funny, he'll rip people about how bad their jobs are till the cows come home - but it begins to become a tad predictable - still funny though - it's not predictable to the point where you're not going to laugh.

Outside of that, the material is of a brilliant standard. It's offensive - sure, but unlike some, its not uncomfortably offensive, its laugh out loud offensive. If you think he's crude on Mock the Week, thats a mild chedder compared to the stilton that rears its head at times during the DVD. His observations are brilliant, he takes fairly mundane news stories and turns them into amazing one-liners.

He's not to everyone's taste - if you're looking for family humour, steer clear of this and look at Michael McIntyre or Dara O'Briain (Or better still, make sure the kids are asleep before you watch it). But I still think the guy is a genius. Forget the "Mock The Week - repetition" rubbish. Sure there are jokes you'll remember - but Frankie is entitled to re-use his material as he sees fit - and it sure doesn't take away from the brilliance of this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rude, crude and extremely shocking, but this is absolutely hilarious!, 31 Jan 2009
Tommy Ray (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
You may have heard quite a few of the jokes included on 'Mock The Week', but i think with his live shows Frankie is able to break a boundary that cannot be crossed on primetime television.

Frankie's humour is dark, brilliant and often controversial; so those who are easily offended should probably steer clear of this DVD, but if you're a fan of "M.T.W", in particular Frankie, this is 100% recommended!
This man is a genius!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiendishly funny and just a little bit wicked, 12 Nov 2008
Ms. Amber L. Raven (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
I think Frankie Boyle is amazing on Mock the Week and is definately one of the main reasons I watch the show - he's cutting edge and fearless wit never fails to shock and/or amuse and this DVD is no different. His new material is hilarious, combining topical observations with his general dislike of most things in society. The DVD is interspersed with some of the stuff you may have seen on Mock the Week slightly repackaged, but there's plenty of gaps in between and its his delivery that makes it once again funny.

One of the highlights of the DVD is the parts where he interacts with the audience - his reputation as a 'doesn't hold back comedian' precedes him, and the audience look permantly on edge as to whether he is going to prey on them and it is pure brilliance to watch the way he diligently and comically tortures a wide variety of people, from the 'big fellers' to the ones with boring jobs. No one is safe.

Although he is without a doubt a shocking and quite ruthless comedian, there is a softer side beneath the sarcastic veneer that can be seen (only briefly, mind) when mentioning his children and elderly people, and occasionally in the extras.

This would be a brilliant addition to anyone's comedy collection, whether you are a FB fan already or you have only just briefly heard him mentioned and want to check out the Scottish master at work - but newcomers beware, his style of comedy is harsh and makes comparable comedy performers seem quite tame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frankie Boyle Live - Pure Filthy Genious, 1 Feb 2009
Daniel M. Mort (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
The title says it all. I found this show absolutly hilarious but it's deffinatly not for everyone. The subjects of some of the jokes will offend almost anyone, still he pulls it off in a brilliantly clever way. I would recommend this to anyone who can see the lighter side of some frankly evil gags!

3.0 out of 5 stars Boyling Over, 4 Feb 2009
A. K. Slaughter "stony laughter" (Brighton/Narbonne) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
Most people will have come across Frankie Boyle in the BBC2 programme "Mock The Week". If you like his cruel sense of humour in the show, then you will love this dvd.
His stage show (covering a string of dates through Scotland) allows him to demonstrate his full range of sour, crude and very funny humour. Much of the fun is aimed at hapless audience members but just as Frankie looks to be going one step too far, he reins back ... and then you get that inimitable laugh.
There are one or two parts that work less well but you get full-strength Boyle for a very funny night in. My favourite Boyle joke (not on the dvd) about things you might not often hear at a dinner party. "Do you have a vegetarian option?" "Yes, you can **** off." Except Frankie doesn't say "asterisk, asterisk..." But I guess that this review would not be published if I used his actual (very funny) riposte.

Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD]
Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] by Frankie Boyle (DVD - 2008)