on 2 February 2011
I have used other bearcat scanners in the past & when starting with the UBC-3500xlt I found it to be quite confusing. The manual doesnt really go in depth on how to begin. A quick trip onto you tube & I found some videos on how to program the scanner & how to use some of the functions.
I am now about a month into using the scanner & it is programmed with most of the local transmissions in my area. I use a wall mounted skan king antenna at the side of my house to get a better range & I bought a wilson-881 handheld antenna which greatly increased reception better than the standard uniden antenna that was included. Plus points on the ubc3500 is the close call function, it is always useful to pick up local transmissions but it is an absolute pain when it picks up paging repeaters,however, the lockout function helps with this. Bad points, there arent many, I would like to have SSB,LSB,USB etc added into the system of the scanner but looking at other scanners that have this would probably bump up the price to near £600.
Plenty of room to store the found frequencies, great function to search & autostore but overall a little complicated if you dont want to spend time figuring it all out. First off if you buy the ubc3500xlt, get a house mounted discone antenna & a moonraker scanner pre amplifier. this will boost your scanning by a million. Secondly, get on the internet & watch a few videos, this helped me to understand the programming a bit better.
44 comments30 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 March 2014
I had no idea about scanners when i bought this i based my choice on reviews from the net and it works as it should, if your going to use this for sitting by the runway and listening to pilot chat then the close call feature will be brilliant for you it will automatically pick up local signals, if like me you just decided to buy a scanner out of general interest you might be able to pick up local bus communications i pick up the London buses from 40 miles away although sometimes i can only clearly hear the base station and not the driver and also i pick up Cab offices and amateur radio operators but i mainly get the same people i know their names now... having said that many times i turn the scanner on and hear nothing at all. The scanner itself can be confusing when it comes to storing frequencies in specific groups because the manual assumes you know what gruops are and different systems etc but you can let the scanner search and stop when it picks up signals and then its not that difficult learning how to store these frequencies and once you have a few stored frequencies you just press the scan button and it will continually scan those stored channels only.The only negative is the batteries take over 12 hours to charge sometimes 15 hours but they do last a good amount of time.Height seems to be the key in picking up signals the higher you are the more you will recieve and keep the ariel upright when listening and searching.
on 21 August 2012
i had already got a scanner but it was old and i wanted a new one and after finding quite a few models around decided to buy the UBC 3500XLT.
its quite complicated compared to my old scanner but i soon got the hang of all its functions and now i can't put it down, i also purchased a MOONRAKER M100 SCANNER PREAMPLIFIER PROFESSIOANL LOW NOISE WIDE BAND 50ohms NEW. its also a good idea to get a scanner frequency book like Pocket Airband Frequency Guide UK & Ireland 2012 Edition 16 and AIRWAVES 2012 complete HF/VHF/UHF aviation frequency directory to identify the frequencies you find while scanning.And a set of Racing Scanner Headset Scanners - Noise Cancelling - RDE-1404 so i can listen in peace without disturbing others.
on 23 September 2009
This is my first scanner and I bought it second-hand, but hardly used, off Ebay.

Really easy to use. I had it working in a few minutes with hardly needing to refer to the instructions for basic operation.

Contrary to the other reviewer, the batteries last ages. Have had it on virtually all day with no loss of power.

Feels sturdy and well made - not at all plasticky.

Extremely pleased with my purchase.
0Comment25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 June 2011
This is the second scanner that I have bough from Uniden the first was the UBC72xlt which I found was not the easiest radio to program. The new Uniden UBC3500xlt is so much better in many ways a pleasure to use, keeping it simple buy it!
on 9 July 2010
As a scanning novice I was after a scanner which would be easy to use and set up. The Uniden ubc350xlt was recomended to me and I purchased one from Amazon. I've been manually inputting frequencies as Uniden don't supply a data cable (or software) with it. The rechargable batteries (supplied) last for ages and I am reasonably happy with it, but the owners manual can be hard to understand and I don't think its the easiest scanner for a beginner to use. Overall I think it's well made, reaonably priced but a little bit too complicated for someone not familiar with scanners.
on 2 September 2012
this must be the best price online for this scanner, came in good time and well packaged.
i would say this is one of the best scanners out there for air/land/sea/mil air.
on 8 August 2012
I bought this for my partner who is very into gadgets. The delivery was spot on and he uses it regularly to sit and relax and listen to the air traffic.
on 11 April 2013
It all looks ok to me .... Instructions are not great for a complete beginner. You need to learn the scanning procedures and techy language elsewhere.
on 25 February 2015
Very good scanner, people say it's impossible to manually program, sit down play with it get to know it took me 2 days to work out how to do it, that's what it's all about getting to know the machine and not plugging it into a computer for that to do all the work for you, more enjoyable inputting your frequencies in manually