4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for creating windows compatible documents...
Published on 11 Nov 2008 by L. Hughes

2.0 out of 5 stars Migrating from Windows? Treat Office 2008 with caution.
Published on 17 Jan 2008 by Benjamin Woolley

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for creating windows compatible documents..., 11 Nov 2008
L. Hughes (Manchester, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Office 2008 for Mac, Home and Student Edition (3 User Edition) (Mac) (Software)
I am by no means a computer genius but talking from a novice point of view I have to say that after purchasing this product 3 months ago I have been perfectly happy with it. I previously had the office 2004 for MAC which admittedly was perhaps a little more user friendly and generally straight forward, but decided to upgrade to the new Office 2008 when I purchased a new iMac.

I generally only use Word and Excel, occasionally Powerpoint, and they serve the purpose that they are there for. After a little bit of getting used to, I've figured most things out, although creating web pages with the Word is not as simple as it was with 2004, and would happily recommend it to a friend. I am currently using it with Leopard operating system.

If you simply want to be able to create Windows compatible documents then this pack should give you everything you need. I use mine for writing word documents and creating spreadsheets and transferring these between my Windows based PC at work and my iMac at home. For this everything serves the purpose well.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must if you own a mac, 30 Nov 2008
Have some people been using a different version of this software from me? (or trying to run it on OS9 maybe?)
It's not perfect (lack of VBA support, lack of advanced features in Excel, slow to start up, not fully compatible with spaces), but I think it's quite good and definitely worthy of four stars (I'm running the latest update 12.1.4 at the time of writing).
iWork '08 is not a good idea, as although Apple say it's compatible with the word and excel formats, it doesn't display the advanced formatting in these files properly. The only serious competition Office 2008 has is OpenOffice 3.0 (which now runs natively on the mac).

2.0 out of 5 stars Migrating from Windows? Treat Office 2008 with caution., 17 Jan 2008
Benjamin Woolley (London, UK) - See all my reviews
After years with PCs, I finally migrated to the Mac this Christmas. The whole experience has been remarkably painless. Everything worked, the software is for the most part beautifully designed, and I felt I had found a comfortable new home. Then I got Office 2008 Home and Student Edition, principally for Word and Entourage, so I could access all my Office 2007 files...and found myself back in the Windows world.

Word 2008 looks pretty, but is flaky. It sometimes freezes, and there's an odd problem with the document window sometimes refusing to overlay other windows that are open on the desktop. Also, the interface is different from Office 2003 and 2007, and in my opinion not as good.

Maybe I'll get used to these foibles, but the instability of the software is worrying. Worse, Office 2008 isn't fully compatible with Office 2007. Word will read documents written using earlier versions. But Entourage does not read Outlook pst files AT ALL. Migrating Outlook to Entourage is awkward to impossible without making big compromises and wasting lots of time and effort. Microsoft created an add-on for Entourage 2004 that apparently works with Outlook 2001 pst files, but there's no information from Microsoft on converting Outlook 2003 or 2007 files. There are other solutions for converting pst files, but I can find none that are simple and seamless (or free). And once they're in Entourage format, I notice that there's no way of exporting them to other email programs.

To add to the sense of a fundamental misfit between Microsoft and Apple, Microsoft's support pages for mac don't seem to work with Safari (but do with Firefox). In retrospect, I wish I hadn't tried this half-way house between the Windows and Mac worlds, but just started afresh.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brings Office compatibility to the Mac, 26 Feb 2009
David Turnbull (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's no secret that Office is a complex product with lots more features than most people use or even discover (many of the top ten requested features in Office already exist in Office -- people just can't find them). There are also, of course, power users out there how know the product inside out.

I know Office on the PC inside out, and use it heavily for work. On the Mac, I am much more the novice -- I use it for working on Office documents when at home or travelling. In this context, I have found it flawless. It converts to and from PC formats effortlessly, and I can do most of the editint and creating I need to without even thinking I am working on a different operating system. Can thoroughly recommend it on that basis.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent step-forward from 2004, 17 Jan 2009
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can't really understand the negative reviews. As a University student who needs something simple and effective to produce presentations and make notes, I previously used Office 2004 which has become a very popular package understandably - it's really nice to use, and incredibly simple. However, I honestly believe Office 2008 is a great step-forward for Student's for a number of reasons:

- A HUGE plus... On PowerPoint, you can now use your Apple Remote to switch slides! And about time too! This now means I can use my MacBook for presentations with PowerPoint and not hang around near the projector all the time. Fantastic integration.

- Better presentations on PowerPoint, that not only look more modern but are easier to produce (even easier than previous Windows version's)

- Brand new graphics and animation, universal on all Office programs but primarily again in PowerPoint, which make previous versions of Office already seem old. I love the new themes and general modern approach of the colours/layouts available.

- Better Notebook layout on Word - Colour coded tabs and clearer layouts/easier photo intergation (Including iPhoto) makes lecture notes much better to produce. Also has a great Mic recording feature - I can record speeches/music being played through my MacBook's Mic, and Word will save it and place an Audio tab on your Notebook document, all a very low size. Neat!

- Quicker performance, most likely because this is Intel based, though remember the start-up times differ on whether you've opened the program beforehand whilst the iMac/MacBook has been on.

- Auto-option fields on Excel, which brings up a menu of common Sums/features automatically to save having to remember those awful formulas. Can't say I agree with others about this looking like a cut down version of Excel; it does all the important tasks you could on previous versions, which is mainly important.

- 'My Day' is a new feature which allows you to plan you day. Though I still feel like the only person in the world who uses their Calendar function on their mobile for making notes, this is handy for inputting important dates.

- All the network-computers not just on my campus, but all the libraries/IT suites uses Office 2008 for Windows. Both the Mac and PC saved files integrate without fuss, unlike Office 2004 were a .docx file had to be converted to the old .doc, and vice versa. The reason for this file change is because of the new graphics, fonts etc.

- The most important plus.... This is 10 times better than Office 2008 for PC! All the PC's in University use it, and everyone hates it. This Mac version is much easier to use, and doesn't integrate the ridiculous ribbon interface, making it no where near as intimidating as the PC version.

Don't forget about Entourage too; Mac Office's version of Outlook for PC. I have a Yahoo Mail account, and upgraded to Yahoo plus for less than 99 pence a month. In about 2 minutes, Entourage had set up my account, got my messages, and I haven't needed to go on a browser to write/check my mail since! It even makes some sounds when you receive mail, so you can set-up a schedule to check your mail whenever you like. No more checking my mail constantly! It also has plenty more Diary, Contacts (which sync to Mac's Address Book) and even a Project Mode, making Entourage a life saver for University.

One interesting thing I have noticed across all the reviews on this page is that a fair number of people aren't even Students! In most cases, they are parents who are buying it with the excuse their School-kids need it, when actually it's for them. And then they're disappointed it's not what they expected? If any of you have compared the FULL version of Office to the STUDENT version, their is a massive difference. We used the Full version in College some years ago, and the difference was amazing.

The only reason this gets 4 Stars is down to Microsoft's incompetence. Firstly, I had to download and install 2 'critical' updates (each over 140mb each, and each once upacked ended up just over or just below 500mb!). To release a piece of software that has such issues is not forgivable, and may be the reason why many early reviewers have had performance problems.

Secondly, Microsoft Messenger (MSN) as it's dubbed, still doesn't have iSight integration for video chat, which is very dissapointing. Again, you have to update MSN even after installing it, so the process is pointless. If you DO want to use your iSight cam for instant messaging, I highly recommend the free software 'Mercury Messenger' - basic, but does the job.

In conclusion, I've found this to be an excellent Student package, and other MacBook owners from my class's have also had problem free experiences - we love it. But as said previously, if you're not even a Student in the first place, how do you expect academic features and tools to be of use?

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't upgrade, 26 April 2008
A. C. R. Riel "Lecturer" (Belgium) - See all my reviews
I have been using Office 2008 and Office 2004 in parallel for a while, and after a few weeks I have decided to uninstall the full Office 2008 package. Office 2008 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) is slower than the 2004 version, crashes (more) often, does not support macro's or VB, nor can I run EndNote. It also does not seem fully compatible with the PC version. Entourage 2008 appears to be OK, and is probably better than the 2004 version, but Mail and iCal are equally good alternatives and I do not miss it. This is in my view the worst version of Office around, and I do not recommend upgrading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely slow, confused interface, limited feature set and prone to crashes, 20 May 2008
A. J. Azhar "azeem72" (London) - See all my reviews
What more could you want?

Excel:
Several 'must have' features have been removed from Excel. It is also spectacularly slow so as to be unusable. The one upside: it is so bad, the MacBU team at Microsoft has connected me to someone to help me speed up basic operations (like adding graphs).

Word: Much slower. Crashes more. Runs out of memory (I have 4Gb on my machine, good luck)

Powerpoint: Did I mention slow? Couple of really nice features (based on OmniGraffle) to help you design / draw charts and diagrams. But not a patch on the smoothness of Keynote (which I hate anyway). I would give powerpoint 2 stars, maybe 2.5.

Overall it really deserves a one star. It has made me much less productive. I find myself running VMware and switching into Excel 2007 for Windows. As soon as I find my office 2004 discs I will be downgrading back to the previous version.

Extremely disappointing. Extremely confusing. And extremely not worthy of being on my machine or yours.

1.0 out of 5 stars They should be ashamed., 5 Sep 2008
I bought this because the kids need it for school and am amazed how dreadful it is.
First of all when installed it needs a 160Mb "critical" update.
This failed using the auto update (at 155MB). I then downloaded the latest update as a stand alone file from Microsoft. This failed at it could not find any office installation on my computer!
I tried the auto update again and this time it worked, but only after a cryptic "Microsoft does not understand this error" message.
This takes it to 12.1.
I now states that a 12.1.1 update is "Critical" and is another 150MB download.
The current version is actually 12.2 so goodness knows how long it will take to get there.
I have used Macs for 10+ years and never have I seen such shoddy, slapdash work.

They should be ashamed and Mr Jobs should have a word in their ear.

I haven't used it yet and it has been a day wasted so far.
Buy anything else unless you really, really need it.
I would give it no stars if this system allowed it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Office 2008 is just rubbish, 26 May 2008
Dr. Simon Richardson (Iowa, United States) - See all my reviews
I upgraded (?) to Office 2008 from Office 2004 and everything crashed ! I loaded up the new Office SP patch and Office wouldn't open. I have now uninstalled this sad, broken, unfinished program and I am back to Office 2004. It is a shame that Microsoft don't seem to learn from their mistakes as this instability was the main reason I stopped using a PC !

1/10 - must try harder

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine on Leopard, caution on Snow Leopard, 3 Feb 2010
I've had this about a year, running on our Leopard macs, just used for general household stuff and maths homework. It runs fine for our needs & no particular problems encountered UNTIL we bought a new Mac with Snow Leopard. Lo & behold, on the new machine Excel runs so slowly that it is unusable. Every time you hit return there is the spinning beachball & a lag of 10 seconds or so before you move down to the next cell. There is even a similar lag typing numbers into a single cell, i.e. 10 secs between typing and seeing the figures appear. I guess there is a bug causing this to happen - I have searched a bit and it may be related to having a Hewlett Packard printer. At least we can still use it fine on the old Leopard Mac but it is pretty annoying.
UPDATE: Microsoft has now issued an automatic update which has fixed this bug.

Office 2008 for Mac, Home and Student Edition (3 User Edition) (Mac)
115.99