5.0 out of 5 stars Great show!
I bought this last year with no idea of what I was buying. I was highly surprised with a very enjoyable and funny series. Love it!

I see there are still questions about the contents and the subtitles so I made this list that I hope will be helpful :) If repeated, sorry! I cannot make it through all the comments right now...

DVD 1 (First series) - No...
Published on 11 Dec 2010 by Oyarsa

3.0 out of 5 stars Love it but NO SUBTITLES!!!
I loved the show from start to finish but was very disapointed that there are no subtitles. My mum is deaf so was not able to enjoy watching the programe and this was very disapointing.
Published on 16 Jan 2009 by V. ward

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show!, 11 Dec 2010
Oyarsa (Madrid, ES) - See all my reviews

DVD 1 (First series) - No subtitles
The Arrival; Songs of Praise; Community Spirit; The Window and the Weather; Election; The Animals
Closing Sermon (end jokes)

DVD 2 (The Specials) - No subtitles

Autumm; Winter; Spring; Summer

DVD 5 (A very Dibley Christmas) - No subtitles
Merry Christmas; Happy New Year
Extras:
Dibley Defrocked (sort of making-off)
Comic Relief - Celebrity Party
Comic Relief - Antiques Roadshow
The epilogues (end jokes)

DVD 6 (A Holy Wholly Happy Ending) - English subtitles
The Handsome Stranger; The Vicar in White
Extras:
The Story of Dibley (interviews with the cast)

The Comic Relief 2007 "Wife Swap" can be found in Now That's What I Call Comedy - The Absolute Very Best of Modern Comedy [DVD] (2009) that also contains other fantastic sketches.
The Comic Relief 1997 "BallyKissDibley" is apparently not available.

5.0 out of 5 stars The COMPLETE collection, 28 Nov 2007
K. Tyler "Kee" (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vicar of Dibley - The Ultimate Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Word of warning - DO NOT BUY the recomended combination of this box set and the "Holy Wholly Happing Ending" as the box set includes all 3 series, all the seasonal specials AND the Holy Wholly ending.

I've noticed Amazon do this before - they do not research what these box sets consist of and you end up buying the same episodes twice.

Otherwise this is a great gift for Xmas enjoyed by all the family. A comedy classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vicar Of Dibley Complete DVD Collection, 10 Dec 2007
M. C. Sheridan "Mick "Comedydrill"" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vicar of Dibley - The Ultimate Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Tried everywhere to be sure and get the entire collection, so many knock offs and incomplete sets available it was hard to know where to turn. Amazon had the answer, very reasonable price with free postage, I saved loads buying this item and it is fantastic. Guaranteed all episodes from first to last including all the specials. This arrived quickly and well packaged, I am extremely pleased with this fantastically funny collection, Dawn French and the entire cast are great, a real watch again series of wonderful programmes, highly recommended and well worth the money. Watch again and again, BRILLIANT, Thanks Dawn, Thanks AMAZON.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great example of Old Fashioned British Humour, 14 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Vicar of Dibley - The Ultimate Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I purchased this collection for my better half, who is a big fan. I didn't consider myself a fan. In fact I usually tried to avoid watching it when it was on TV.
However for a few evenings when there was nothing on TV we decided to put "The Vicar of Dibley" on. Since I had bought the boxset I thought I'd better watch a few episodes anyway. Anything for a quiet life!To my surprise I found myself really enjoying it. There are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, even if you can see most of them coming a mile off.

The "Vicar of Dibley" is not edgy or groundbreaking. It is from the tradition of broad British humour, full of ridiculous situations, puns and double entendres. It gently pokes fun at the upper classes and the establishment. The characters are one-dimensional and in general don't change at all. However the comedic situations are so well written and acted that even the most cynical will be laughing.
Dawn French is brilliant as the trendy but lonely vicar. Even though she gently mocks her parishioners you cannot help but wish her the best. The supporting cast including Gary Waldhorn and Roger Lloyd Pack all experienced comic actors and relish their roles. Particular mention must go to Emma Chambers who plays the really, really thick Alice. She gets the most memorable lines. The "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" speech is a particular highlight. The writing, by the likes of Richard Curtis is also spot on, creating the unique world of Dibley, with its own logic and conventions.

This boxset contains all the series and the specials. You can buy it as a present for a real fan but you might end up secretly really enjoying it like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for Dibley fans, contains every episode, 2 Aug 2013
Having searched through lots of box sets to find one containing every episode, I found it unclear what i was ordering but this set contains all episodes from the first (Arrival) through to the very last (The vicar in white) this is a great box set at an amazing price. A must for Dibley fans!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I just hope they don't make any more!, 6 April 2008
Mr. M. P. Johnson (County Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vicar of Dibley - The Ultimate Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I absolutely adore this series and bought the "Complete Collection" in 2004. And then they made Christmas/New Year specials in 2004. And then in 2006. ARGH!! It would cost me £30 to buy the specials and only £5 more to buy the entire collection, so I shall be buying this soon. Now all there is to do is to flog my old "Complete Collection" to a mate! A similar thing happened with Blackadder (I bought the first "Complete Collection" and then flogged it to my mate when I realised that an even more "Complete" collection was coming out). The BBC really should stop doing this, it's ludicrous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy, utterly brilliant, 4 Sep 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Vicar of Dibley - The Ultimate Collection [DVD] (DVD)
The only things missing from this wonderful collection is 2 comic relief specials:
-Ballykissdibley
- Wife swap.

Every other regular, special & comic & final episode is included.

It is funny, fantastic, hilarious, a must-have.

5.0 out of 5 stars the whole adventures from dibley!, 14 Mar 2008
Mr. Nathan Armstrong - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Vicar of Dibley - The Ultimate Collection [DVD] (DVD)
this is the ultimate collection...

the series is hilarious with the story of a female vicar in a small little bit behind the times village!

the characters, stories and humour are amazing!!

like other reviewers have said you do have to be careful as so many issues have been released and then a new special was recorded and a new box set issued saying the complete series!

this one includes what was said to be the final ever dibley christmas special where the vicar makes it up the aisle!!!

its a amazing series..full of laughter but if you own any of the other dvds/collections please be careful you arent just duplicating what you already own....if you do nopt own any however, buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly - British Comedy at its best, 19 Aug 2008
Amelrode (Vilvoorde) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Vicar of Dibley - The Ultimate Collection [DVD] (DVD)
The Vicar of Dibley is a household name and most of us are well aware of the happenings in the vicarge of Dibley. It is often hilarious, but never nasty and always with a BIG heart. It leaves you watching with a smile all the time and you leave in good humour.

At the end of each episode, following the closing credits, Geraldine tells a joke to Alice -- most of the time, the joke is rather off-colour. Alice usually doesn't get the joke, but instead tries to interpret it literally and then explains to Geraldine why the premise is implausible. Hilarious!

The Vicar of Dibley is set in a fictional small Oxfordshire village called Dibley, which is assigned a female vicar following the 1992 changes in the Church of England that permitted female vicars.
Geraldine Granger - Dawn French - is the female vicar. She is a bonne vivante and a large, liberal woman who enjoys nothing more than a good laugh. Despite her fun-loving and sometimes outrageous behaviour, she is deeply caring and does her best to help those in her parish in any way she can.

In short, pure entertainment and entertainment as it should be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but no subtitles, 30 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Vicar of Dibley - The Ultimate Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Good comedy and a nice DVD edition, but it's a bit annoying that there are not subtitles available at all. Older TV shows released on DVD come with subtitles, so it should be pretty easy to add them to any TV DVD release. I like the show, it's good fun to watch, but I take one star for the missing subtitles (for people like myself that are not native English speakers and also for people with hearing issues, subtitles are a great help, specially when some characters speak really fast or with strong accents!).

The Vicar of Dibley - The Ultimate Collection [DVD]