on 14 July 2012
Just got these mudguards after buying a cheaper set which were totally unsuitable and probably too short.
These have only one fixing bolt which goes through the yoke between the front and rear forks. Really quick and easy to fit.
There is a metal bracket which slides into each mudguard, but I found that although they, sort of, click into place, the front one had some free play which would probably have resulted in an annoying rattle or vibration. Remedy was to bend the metal plate very slightly to create pressure on the mudguard once it was slipped in. Did the same with the back one too, just to make sure. They are both now solid with no play at all. Because there is only a single fixing point they will obviously flex a bit, but being plastic this is to be expected. My tyres are 700 x 40c and the rear mudguard looks easily long enough to catch any upward spray. The front one could maybe have been slightly longer, but they both follow the line of the tyres really well. They also look really good once fitted to the bike. All in all, quite a high quality product at a very reasonable price. Very happy, just wish I'd went for these first!
on 27 April 2013
The SKS Beavertail set is the fourth set of mudguards I've tried on my hybrid bike - and now AT LAST I have mudguards that actually do the job they're supposed to!

I ride to work with a backpack on, which obviously sticks out rear-ward. None of the three previous rear mudguards I've tried have prevented road crud from landing on the backpack - but the Beavertail does, completely.

The front mudguard extends down as low as the pedal crank, so it manages to keep crud completely off the downtube and hence none splashing off there onto me.

Fitting was easy and quick. The rear mudguard doesn't interfere with the rear brakes on my bike (unlike a couple of the previous guards I tried) and since it attaches to the frame, the seat post is left free for lights, etc. (On the latter point, I'm not sure why Amazon's product description still refers to a "snap-fit seat tube mount" - it's evident from all the pictures that there simply isn't one on this particular item. I believe SKS do make another model which has this feature, however.)

Finally, I think both mudguards in this set look really good - they certainly enhance the appearance of my bike (see photo).
review image
on 23 January 2011
Using an ATB in winter is no fun if you are going to get filthy wet so mudguards are a necessity. Did the Beavertails do the job? Yes, very successfully. They are easy to fit once the metal fixing bracket is forced into plastic socket on the guard, which I suppose has to be tight. One piece of the plastic actually broke away but with no adverse effect. The single bolt fixing allowed the guards to swivel so that they needed to be re-adjusted after leaning your bike against a wall and this is the only reason for losing a star in the rating.
on 4 June 2013
For a bike with disc brakes these are a neat way of getting guards on to your bike. Losing half a star (I'm rounding down) as because they have one fixing point they are prone to moving around. Losing a star because they could come supplied with a better selection of nuts and bolts for fitting. It was a bit frustrating turning the house upside down to find a bolt for the right size for me.
on 27 April 2012
The quality of these is very good and seems very easy to fit, IF you have a none-suspension MTB. I had to be very creative to fit them to my full-suspension Carrera MTB, the space between knobbly tyres and forks is simply too tight. This included cutting off some of the plastic and usage of a few cable-ties for fitting. But looks great now and does the job.
on 28 June 2013
Easily fitted in 5 minutes, but I don't understand why the rear bolt is 50cm/2" long and yet the nut only fits over the end of it ! Replaced the supplied nut with a wing nut...sorted. Haven't tested their performance yet, but can't see any problem as they can be re-adjusted to suit .Looking smart on large frame Hybrid.
QUESTION ;.......I regard quick release as quick nick ! Has anyone worked out a way to secure these in order to prevent passing rats removing them ? Although my bike is well locked, the scum recently stole the rubber handlebar grips,only a fiver but they seem to take anything just out of spite.
SIX MONTHS ON.........When riding on anything but the smoothest surface the plastic guard would rattle against the steel fixing bracket. I cut strips from old inner tube and wedged them between plastic and steel so hiding the steel......perfect total silence !
on 29 March 2013
I have fitted these on all the family bikes now, that's 5 in total over several years. They give good protection from water and mud yet are light and very easy to fit. They seem a little flimsy at first sight but are very flexible and I've not had one break despite considerable off-road use.
on 23 October 2012
Easy to fit and very effective,wouldn't spend more than £15 for mudguards,when ya can get these bad boys for around that price.
on 16 January 2015
these mudguards are very good for bikes that do not have fixtures to fit full mudguards they keep about 90% of spray off you. I did have to use a cable tie for the back guard as I use a rack and the guard was knocking against the rack when going over bumps I drilled 2 holes in the guard now no more knocking. the only issue I have is that the back guard could be a bit longer as I do get sprayed a little bit up my back with dirty water.
on 17 December 2013
decent mudguards for the price although they are from soft plastic so they can be bend and they don't come in a box so mine was slightly bent to the right so it wouldn't cover the whole back wheel so i get a bit of a splash from time to time but i eventually managed to fix that by heating them and straightening them. In conclusion the mudguards are fine but the seller should be a bit more thoughtful of the packaging

See one answered question