on 23 May 2010
I bought this to replace an early Roberts FM/DAB radio which I've owned for several years. This new model has much better reception on both FM and DAB than my old radio. Ok, I live in a good signal area but I can now pick up local stations from neighbouring areas quite easily. The sound is quite rich and full, even without adusting the bass and treble controls, and it sounds good with both speech and music stations. There is the option to switch to 'mono' on FM if more distant stations sound a bit hissy in stereo.

The unit is quite solid without being too heavy (although it's noticably heavier with batteries in).

The radio is easy to set up and use, and I really like the relatively old-fashioned rotary volume and tuning controls - much more user-friendly than the modern trend for push-button controls. The controls are all on the top as well, so you can push the buttons and twiddle the knobs with one hand, without having to use your other hand to hold the unit steady.

The only minor quibble I have is that when you are running the radio from the mains, you cannot turn off the illuminated display - hardly 'eco' and probably irritating if you wanted to use this as a bedside radio. When running it off batteries the display turns off and on each time you press a button, and it's a shame that you can't select this option when the radio is plugged into the wall.
on 28 February 2010
this is easily the best sounding portable radio in this price range. i generally listen to 5live, radio 4, radio 2 all on dab and my local commercial station on fm. all sound great. i tried out pretty much all the alternatives in the shops before buying this for my study including the sony and pure, especially as we already have 2 pure radios in the house, but this one beats them hands down for richness of sound. it's not the prettiest of designs but it feels solid, heavy and well made. it's great for music and voice.
on 9 July 2009
I bought this radio to use in my bathroom so only use it on battery, I've had it for months now & still not changed the batteries the battery life for a digital radio is amazing.
Also great looking in black & great sound. I love it & would reccommend this radio to anyone.
on 26 September 2012
After less than five months of very limited usage the on/off switch stopped working. This appears to be a common complaint, and must be due to a design fault.

On this occasion Amazon were quick to arrange a replacement, but will they do so even after the warranty period expires, as radios should last for years.
on 5 October 2012
Major design fault problem with this model, and coincidentally another roberts radio but different model, is the power on/off button being faulty, you end up with a radio that cannot be turned on.
which is a useless radio.
my first roberts lasted 5 months.
my second roberts has lasted nearly 12 months.
there will not be a third roberts until they sort out their massive quality control issues and design failures.im not holding my breath though.

when it does work it is of above average quality and has good sound quality, though beware the next time you turn it off, it may never turn back on again.
55 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 August 2013
bought this radio as a present for my wife. a month later-radio would only give static-no music, etc. had a replacement from amazon-worked well for approx 9 months-then went dead as a dodo. only fit place for it is in the garbage bin-not good enough to put in the recycle bin. Rated radio as one star because no option for a zero.
on 30 July 2009
I have recently purchased this radio from Amazon at a competitive price, plus the bonus of free delivery.
As soon as I set up all my favourite radio stations,I was very impressed with the sound quality, and clarity. Additionally, this is quite a heavy product for it's size, which immediately tells you that this is a real quality product. Great,I'm extremely pleased, a first class radio.
on 19 February 2010
If you live in a good reception area for DAB - then this is the best portable radio I have ever had.
I have another Roberts (Kitchen radio) - that does not even come close to this one.

The audio quality is superb - even compared with a "mini" Hi-Fi system. The separate Treble and Bass controls suit me personally - as I like to turn UP the treble for speach (probably down to some slight hearing impairment). Has great bass that does not seem to make the whole radio vibrate.

Reception is very clear (I am in a good signal area) - I can get both DAB bands from London and from Hannington - so even in Berkshire I can listen to London's Jazz FM.

Battery life is real good - I am not sure of the 150 hours life, as I have recharged the 6 D size batteries in significantly less than that, although I will point out that I did so only to maintain the very high audio quality on Battery power. I could believe that 150 hours is achievable, but I never got there for the reasons stated. I noted some deterioration of audio quality after I had been using it on battery power for about 3 weeks. So I decided to recharge.
If the portability is going to be an important requirement, then I would definitely invest in rechargeable batteries - the cheaper NiMH at 2500 mAH are quite adequate.
on 14 July 2012
The radio worked fine for 3 months and was very easy to use so I was very pleased with it. However ,after this period the radio suddenly turned on in the middle of the night and the on/off button didn't work. Amazon we're great and took it back. I have made a mistake and ordered a replacement which I wish I didn't do because reading the reviews others have had the same problems and it also appears that the radio has a tendency to break just outside warranty so I would avoid buying and go for a reliable radio.
on 22 February 2010
In our house we have gathered more DAB radios than I realised - six, mostly different brands, some with respected names. This Roberts is easily the best. I read the reviews, and placed an order. I returned the first one because of an intermittent problem with the on-button (my first 'return' with Amazon and handled with impressive efficiency). The replacement works very well. Design - excellent. Colour - the black version looks very impressive. Sound - simply top-notch for a portable: excellent depth and quality. Like other reviewers I cannot yet comment on the claimed longevity of battery usage, but I doubt that a company with a good reputation to uphold would deceive. With batteries in, it is a heavy, weighty, item - but that rather adds to the overall sense of solidity and would be an inconvenience only if you wanted to carry it about with you all the time. I suspect the weight adds to the sound quality produced by the casing and speakers. At the time of purchase there was a wide variety of quoted prices - and Amazon had the best.