5.0 out of 5 stars What have the Romans ever done for us?
John Cleese once said that this film is what he'd most like to be remembered for, which coming from a man who wrote some of the best Python sketches and Fawlty Towers, should tell you something about how good this film is.
Hugely controversial at the time, the subject matter of 'The Life of Brian' was considered strictly taboo in 1979, and even today it can still...
Published on 1 April 2003 by Touring Mars

2.0 out of 5 stars Always read the small print
I have steadfastly resisted buying previous versions of this DVD, as the 'extras' are virtually non-existent. Where is the spoof travelogue that accompanied the cinema release (with John Cleese getting increasingly frustrated with the number of scenes including gondolas)? Where is the short Christmas card animation, without which the appearance of the cut-out stagecoach...
Published on 9 July 2004 by John Wyant

5.0 out of 5 stars Something to offend the pompous true believers in life, 30 May 2011
Mum Betty (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
Everything every other reviewer says about this is true: it was hugely controversial at the time, it only pokes fun at those who are what I call "true believers" (i.e. nothing would convince them not to believe, so Brian is unable to shake off the adoring crowds of those who believe he is the messiah), etc. My one and only gripe with the DVD was that the reproduction was not of the best quality and early on in the story we had some white streaks dash across the screen -- they eventually went away. In any case, we shall treasure it.

5.0 out of 5 stars my brother's NOT the Messiah......!, 12 April 2011
I bought this dvd for my brother, as he announced it was the only thing that his wife took when she left that he resented her having! Also, he gave me the opportunity to use the line above when he ate Sunday dinner with us a few weeks ago! Priceless!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great classic, 14 Jan 2011
My son can now cross this off his wish list. I'm glad he asked for it, because it is a great all-time classic and I'll also enjoy watching it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Monty Python's LIFE OF BRIAN - on DVD, and Digitally Re-mastered, 13 Jan 2011
J. Duck "jduck1979" (nr Whitby, North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Despite being nearly as old as I am, this film by the legendary MONTY PYTHON team still feels fresh today, and one of the films you've gotta see before you befall the same fate as the Norwegian blue in the Python team's previous efforts.... plenty of clips from this film around on YouTube to see for yourself before buying.

Picture quality on this DVD is fine - so far just tested on:
1) Toshiba 28" Widescreen TV (2002/3 model), Sony Playstation2 (bought October 2001) & connected via the PS2's composite connectors.

2) my PC's Sony DRU-870S 24x Internal DVDRW Retail Kit SATA ? Black drive, a 15yr old COMPAQ 151FS monitor, Windows media player & Creative Labs EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones ' Black (Eco Packaging) to hear it.

Although the picture was good on both, the sound was a bit too quiet when played over the TV speakers & Playstation2....... seems alright listening to it via headphones hooked-up to the PC though.

The DVD menu is filled with Gilliam animations, but it's a stubborn little sod when it comes to getting the arrows pointing at the option you want to select, both via Official DVD Remote Control SCPH 10172-3 (PS2) & PC mouse on Windows media player.

4.0 out of 5 stars the life of brian dvd, 20 Aug 2010
THIS WAS BOUGHT FOR MY 15 YEAR OLD GRANDSON. i dont know how he knows about the monty python team, but, there you go. I watched it and laughed a bit, (it was not as funny as I remember), but my grandson was rolling around the floor laughing, i suppose some films dont date then, All i all good value for money, 6/10 for me 8/10 for my sibling.

5.0 out of 5 stars "We are all individuals!", 9 Nov 2009
Coc y Gath (Caerdydd/Cardiff) - See all my reviews
This, in my opinion, along with 'Withnail and I' stands head and shoulders above
all other comedies. I first saw it in 1982 and remember the endless repating of the scenes whilst sanding bits of timber in double woodwork. I bought this and thought that
with the passing of time I would not enjoy it as I had in my teens. How wrong I was!
A funny, funny film with and a sharp dissection of the cult of religion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life of Brian, 28 Sep 2009
Mr. A. P. Dicken "Ferret" (Peak District, UK) - See all my reviews
The funniest film ever. If you've not seen it, what planet have you been living on? If you have then you don't need my review!

5.0 out of 5 stars He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!, 26 April 2008
R. Mullaney (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Born on the first Christmas day in the stable next to Jesus, Brian of Nazareth spends his whole life being mistaken for the Messiah with surreal and ridiculous consequences.

Monty Python's controversial comedy classic finally gets the release it deserves with pretty packaging and a wealth of extra features. It looks dated but the genius of the Pythons writing is still as hilarious today as it ever was. From the man about to get stoned to death by twenty bearded women to the annoying ex-leper who still begs for change, the characters are bonkers yet perfect. Not a moment of screen time is wasted on anything other than comedy gold. The Life of Brian will surely be quoted by students for the rest of time which is a worthy accolade to one of the funniest films ever made (take note Scary Movie 4).

Like this? Try: Monty Python and the Holy Grail

5.0 out of 5 stars The Life of Brian: The Ultimate Comedy!, 20 Feb 2006
This film is astounding, brilliant, hilarious! It actually portrays Ancient Rome etc fairly well but with stunningly hilarious satire! Each song is dripping with irony and humour, each paragraph contains a hilarious satirical comment! It uses the narrow minded and pejudiced Ancient Romans and priests to good effect yet never is offensive to Churchy people. this is a MUST HAVE!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best comedy ever, 16 May 2003
It is one of the best comedies of our times with the hilarious humor of the monthy python