4.0 out of 5 stars Why the bad reviews?
I have to ask WHY the bad reviews ? Are you new to nutrition or protein bars? They are not designed to taste identical to chocolate brownies. But the taste isn't as bad as people make it out to be, I find it rather enjoyable.
Each bar has 213 Calories, 23g Protein, 16.5g Carbs.
These bars are IDEAL for a quick protein boost when on the go like at work...
Published 11 months ago by Nathan

1.0 out of 5 stars Cardboard tastes better
Published on 2 July 2010 by Glockdan

4.0 out of 5 stars Why the bad reviews?, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: MaxiNutrition Cyclone 60 g Chocolate Strength and Power Bars - Box of 12 (Formerly Known as Maximuscle) (Personal Care)
Each bar has 213 Calories, 23g Protein, 16.5g Carbs.
These bars are IDEAL for a quick protein boost when on the go like at work.

If you dont like the taste, eat it fast and dont think about it as the bars are great meal replacements. If you REALLY cant handle the taste then just go back to regular chocolate and talk about how hard eating right is and making excuses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maximuscle Cyclone Dark Chocolate - 60g bar, 25 April 2012
I really don't know what all the fuss is about. I think these bars taste OK. They taste like dark chocolate covered German gingerbread. I must admit they do have a sweet after taste but if you are only having one or two then I don't believe the sweetness will be overwhelming.
As recommended by another reviewer just pick one up from the local supermarket and see what you think, before of course buying them in bulk.

Update 08/05/12.
Not sure whether there are two different types of 'Dark Chocolate' bars, but I bought some more from the local supermarket and these taste like a Mars bar. These are actually really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Feb 2013
Simon11 (Heysham, Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have had to write my review again. I didn't like the first bar that I tasted. But they actually grow on you. I like dark chocolate and these bars give you the option to eat the equivalent of two bars of dark chocolate a day.
I look forward to them now as they are a treat in between my training diet. I actually ordered another two boxes at reduced prices because of all the reviews by you
that don't like them they are offered cheap.
Keep up your bad reviews and I might get them even cheaper next time.
First class product..
Just to add. They are not too sweet. I don't take sugar or like very sweet things. But these are just right!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mars Bar, 19 Dec 2014
Phenomenal!!!
I have been eating Maxinutrition bars for the last 3 months.
Before that I initially tried the Quest bars as they advertised some really interesting flavours, however they mostly tested the same, and were frankly not enjoyable, with a consistency like bitumen!

As this was all part of a weight loss program I was doing I had stuck to the 'rest and recover' or 'lean definition' bars, normally cookie dough or dark chocolate. These were decidedly better than the quest bars, and based on nutrition appeared to be one of the best options out there, but even then I admit it took a couple of bars to get used to them. I normally nibble them slowly while drinking a lot of water, basically because they are quite dense, but in terms of taste they are very good.

I have lost over 8kg in roughly 4 months, through a combination of exercise, dieting etc. but I do have to give some credit to these bars as they helped curb my unhealthy snacking habits.

Anyway back to the point, now that I have reached my target weight I decided to try the 'strength and power' bars, which are the same dark chocolate flavour as the 'rest and recover' I had been eating previously. Yes the flavour is consistent, but WOW the density is much less, and overall these bars remind me of a Mars Bar, granted I haven't had a real Mars Bar in a while for comparison but these bars taste fantastic!!!!

I would probably have given 5 stars to the other Maxinutrition bars before, but now I have to down rate them to a 4 simply because of how much better this one is!!

I should note however that these only arrived in the post yesterday, so I haven't tested their effectiveness for muscle gains. However Maxinutrition have not let me down in the past and i'm fairly sure the added 5g of glutamine will help me see results.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cardboard tastes better, 2 July 2010
I'm a dedicated Maximuscle MRP bar fan - but stick to Promax Meal and Promax Diet if you actually possess taste buds. Because I'd always liked the taste of their bars, I actually bulk bought 36 Cyclone bars once......what followed was several weeks of abject torture. The taste is indescribably bad - so much so it became a standing joke in my office as everyone would gather round to enjoy my various facial grimaces as I ate them. One day, I made the claim 'I bet cardboard would taste better' - so you know what happened next don't you? I tore off the corner of a box and ate the cardboard - and it DID. Awful, awful, dreadful stuff. Not fit for slugs. Conversely, the Cyclone shakes aren't TOO bad.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best tasting but for content, superb, 16 Sep 2011
So the foulest bars I have ever tasted, having said that though, if you can stomach the taste, the content is one of the best out there!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nasty aftertaste., 24 Sep 2014
These taste almost clinical, kind of like the taste you get if you leave an aspirin on your tongue without any water. I suspect it is the creatine as I remember some years ago having creatine powder which left the same nasty aftertaste. Therefore eating these is as someone else described it 'abject torture'. Its a shame really. The rebuild/recover bars are delicious and I bought these thinking they would be just as good and so I could use these before training & the red bars after. I've managed to chew extremely slowly through 4 bars.. The rest will most likely end up in the bin when I re-order the red ones.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't taste nice AT ALL..., 2 Sep 2014
I can understand why some people enjoy this product, what's inside of the bars are very good. What got me though was the horrific taste, (i ate on an empty stomach) each bite took very long to chew and i was so disgusted by the taste i resulted to biting the bar then slowly sucking bits down at a time. The after taste made me feel sick and i actually had to walk into my garden and lean over. I've purchased other things from this seller and have been very happy, but this product - in my opinion - is a disappointment. (I purchased the Chocolate Orange Flavour).

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't recommend the dark chocolate flavour, 16 Sep 2014
Kristian (Sunny England) - See all my reviews
I ordered dark chocolate as they were 30% cheaper than the choc orange. I know energy bars and not supposed to taste nice but these are worse than drinking warm water with chunks of protein powder in it... I still intend to eat them all though, just follow it with something to get rid of the after taste. If you really want a nice tasting energy bar go for Syntha-6 Rocky Road. Dangerously yummy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, convenient source of protein and creatine., 12 Dec 2014
These bars should be treated as supplements, therefore the taste shouldn't matter to you. Anyway, that taste isn't as bad as some people say it is, and I think the slight aftertaste may be intentional to stop people who don't know what creatine is taking too many of these and ruining their livers.

Overall, a good product and I'll be ordering more.