If you're a Buffy fan, I don't even know why I have to bother explaining why you should buy this - you should be clicking the "Buy" button as we speak.

Published on 2 Feb. 2008 by Nikki

3.0 out of 5 stars Love ANGEL but NO episode guide.....
I can't get enough of Angel, it's a great series! I'd advise anyone who love's Buffy to watch Angel, I recently bought this boxset which I wanted to buy for so long, so I was so excited when it finally came.

However I'm just so annoyed that everytime I buy a boxset from here, I never have the episode guide!!!!! If I knew I wasn't going to get the episode guide...
Published on 13 Dec. 2010 by budmeister22

5.0 out of 5 stars The second best series ever to run, and the spin-off from the first, 2 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Angel - Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)

This is the second best series ever to run (after Buffy itself of course). Season 5 takes place after the ending of Buffy after season 7, so you get something of an insight into what happened afterwards, and a familiar face crops up you thought was gone forever. As for seasons 1-4, they run alongside Buffy seasons 4+, after Angel's tear-soaked departure, even with the occasional guest-spot from Buffy characters.

This box set is a must-have. Better than most things on TV nowadays and you won't get sick of watching it. what're you waiting for: BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars More sheer genius from Whedon, 30 Aug. 2012
I left it late to join the Angel fanclub due to my disliking of his character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I found him to be at times a little dull. This being the case I avoided watching this series and instead proceeded to watch other works of genius from Joss Whedon such as Dollhouse - Season 1-2 [DVD] and Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003], which are both masterpieces of the imagination, and my favourite television programmes to date. However, when a friend introduced me to the first season of Angel, my opinion of him changed. While still not a fan of him in the Buffy series (I was always rooting for Spike) I must admit he is much improved when given his own show, he becomes a more rounded and likeable character. But that being said there are more fantastic characters created by Whedon here, and some familiar faces for fans of Buffy.

And, for those of you turning to Angel after watching Buffy, the similarities are there for all to see, but for want of better words I would describe it as being slightly more 'grown up', more akin to the later season's of Buffy, where darkness and emotion are more prevalent. Having now seen every episode, I can say that there was not one which disappointed me, they are all very watchable, with some outstanding ones to boot (Wesley-centric episodes are always great). Overall I wouldd urge you to dive into this set, and not wait as I did. Whedon, I'm sorry I ever doubted you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shame they ended it., 22 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Angel - Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Really loved the series and how it meshed with Buffy, so gutted that they ended it. It was darker than Buffy, but strangley also lighter in ways. What was the standout point ofr me was the transformation of Wesley, from how he started off in Buffy as a pompous young man, scared of his own shadow to his change to a confident, take chargee man, and somewhat callous, not afraid to stand up to ANYONE

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for splashing out a bit!, 11 Mar. 2009
Angel - Complete Collection [DVD]

Over all I really liked this angel box set. I bought it with out ever having watched an episode on TV, only ever seeing Buffy before, (which is also a good show and DVD box-set, so if you liked angel I'd would recommend that you buy that as well if you haven't already.) and was quite impressed with it.

Darker than Buffy with more adult themes, it depicts a good gritty view of LA with horror and comedy entwined neatly with it, (Plus the added fact that LA is inhabited by demons and that Angle himself is a Vampire.)

Season 1 and up to half way through season 2 are very good showing Angle's constant battle to regain his soul by working for The Powers' That Be, against the evil supernatural law firm Wolfram and Heart. From then on up to the beginning of season 4 the show gets a bit depressing. Season 4 was still quite dark - but not depressing (with the return of Angelus) - which made for an interesting season. Then season 5 was another interesting one not so dark with many twists and turns, plus the return of Spike.

As I said before, I do recommend this box set, if you can afford to splash out that is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece of a show!, 13 Jan. 2013
G. Stephenson - See all my reviews
ANGEL is the spin- off to the wonderful and unique BUFFY: THE VAMPIRE SLAYER. Created by Joss Whedon (BUFFY, THE CABIN IN THE WOODS) and David Greenwalt, this is a darkly humorous and highly inventive fantasy drama that almost matches the very high standard set by its parent show. Addictive from start to finish, I'm quite sad to have finished all five series, but at least now I can watch it all over again. This definitely ranks as one of the best shows I have ever seen!

SERIES ONE - 5 stars

This series opened with one of the best episodes of the show, and certainly didn't stop impressing me. ANGEL SEASON ONE introduced characters, old and new, in spectacular fashion, and Cordelia Chase (an old BUFFY character) was very well developed. The acting was great, the storylines were flawless and it ended magnificently.

SERIES 2 - 5 stars

Another fantastic series of ANGEL, this second season was darker, deeper and had a more impressive scope than the first. There were some ground-breaking and thoughtful episodes that completely blew me away, and the characters were even better than ever before. I loved how it tied up some loose ends that appeared in BUFFY. Overall, an outstanding series.

SERIES 3 - 4 stars

Even though it was a little disappointing when compared to the first two series, I still thoroughly enjoyed ANGEL SEASON THREE. It had some extremely interesting story arcs, and Fred is my favourite character on the entire show. The action scenes looked much better and the ending episodes were stunning.

SERIES 4 - 5 stars

The most entertaining, interesting and exciting series of ANGEL, series four contained a brilliant villain, higher stakes and a finale that left my mind racing. Cordelia' s character was developed even further here, and the acting was superb. What a great series!

SERIES 5 - 4 stars

I have to admit, the first episodes of this series were quite bad, and I was worried that the concluding season would end up disappointing me. Luckily, after about five mediocre outings, it began to improve, until it became a strong and immensely powerful final series. Some episodes made me cry (A HOLE IN THE WORLD, SHELLS) while others had me laughing out loud (SMILE TIME, one of the funniest things I have ever seen). And the last few episodes were astonishing. The characters were so well developed as well, and I will miss them. A brilliant ending.

ANGEL is a truly awesome show that I won't be forgetting any time soon. This and BUFFY are two classic shows that I can' t recommend enough. I urge you to watch them! I love how they are not afraid to be completely different. I WILL MISS THEM!

Also, is SMALLVILLE worth watching after watching this? Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall great but with a few hiccups, 11 Jan. 2010
E. Brodie (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angel - Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
(Be warned- a few plot spoilers)

In Angel I commend the idea of an ongoing `big bad' organisation which is constantly in the background of all the series contributes to events that unfold through out the five series. Including the reintroduction of characters thought to be gone, really helping to explore more of Angel's past.
I applaude the character of Lorne played by Andy Hallet who apart from having a superb singing voice brings another demon to the group, who is almost the opposite `good guy demon' to Angel and the use of light humour with his character acts as a bit of relief from the brooding Angel.
The development of the character Wesley is one of the most memorable for me, his slightly geeky school-boyish qualities continue through for the first two seasons meanwhile his love for another player in the `angel investigations `team develops. His situation dramatically changing in season 3 after having to make difficult decisions regarding the welfare of another character based on a prophecy he has deciphered. After he becomes isolated and alone he has to harden as a person turning to others for comfort he normally wouldn't.
For me there are two main problems with these series. First the introduction of Connor in series 3, although pleasant as a baby, as a teenager grows to become extremely `angsty' and aggravating as the series progress. And secondly the appearance of `Jasmine' who although is played by the talented Gina Torres (also starring in Whedon's Firefly) really didn't do anything for me in season four.
However the hilarious relationship between `Angel' and a re-introduced character brings yet more humour to the gang. As the two are forced into situations where they have to work alongside each other. Overall, for Buffy fans it is a must see as it reveals not only more about Buffy and Angel's relationship in a particularly moving episode but about other characters that return later in Buffy. Plus the storylines are darker and are entertaining in their own way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful, 10 Feb. 2009
H (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Angel - Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I think Angel as a spin off often got overshadowed by the cultural icon that its parent series spawned... which is an enormous shame, because this is equally great quality television.

It's much darker than Buffy; Buffy at heart is about triumphing against the odds, whereas Angel is about the impossible task of trying to redeem yourself from the unredeemable and why we continue to attempt it anyway. But the trademark Whedon humour is still there, and what the series does share with Buffy is its willingness to explore characters and show that the good guys and bad guys aren't always neatly split into two easily identifiable camps. It lets its leads go dark (as well it should when the eponymous protagonist is a vampire), but it also balances that well with the lighter moments - some of the funniest moments in the series are in the final season when Angel and Spike are being juvenile and petty with each other. Great action, great humour, but also willing to get scary. Even the less stellar episodes are still better than a lot of things you'll see on TV.

As ever, Whedonverse writers also give great commentary. They're funny, insightful and just as entertaining as the show (and this from someone who's not overly a fan of commentaries in general). This box set is a great investment in a brilliant show that I think was sadly cut short by the network just when it had hit a great new stride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best purchace I've ever made!, 9 Jun. 2012
I first heard of this series 3 years ago when I was in secondary school when my friend brought in her box set and was saying what a great show it was. At the time, I wasn't into violence or dark storylines. However, a few years later, I have had an interest in the supernatural and decided to give the Angel series a chance.
Well, I must say it was the best decision of my life (so far)! I LOVE IT! The storylines are amazing and the actors are brilliant! You really feel involved with the story and I found myself on the edge of my seat many times. The violence is dynamic and every episode leaves you wanting to watch more. Angel is portrayed by the talented David Boreanaz and with Cordelia Chase (Charisma Carpenter), Doyle (Glenn Quinn), Wesley (Alexis Denisof) Spike (James Marsters) and many more characters battling alongside him, you can bet they'll be a whole load of spectacular scenes. I was also pleasantly surprised to see moments of humour included too, which helps make the series a joy to watch and gives the show a new dimension! Every complement to the fantastic Joss Whedon for creating this amazing show!
Overall, I would absolutely definately reccomend this box set to any vampire fan! A great watch! The only critisism is that I wish the show had a few more series!

5.0 out of 5 stars The complete TV series, but there is now an official season 6, 16 April 2009
Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Angel - Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Angel was the best series on television, and I felt such regret when it ended. If you're reading this, chances are that you probably feel the same. However, because it was never the fans who deserted Angel, Joss Whedon himself personally supervised an official (and canonical) Season 6 in full colour graphic novel format. It's called Angel: After The Fall and it continues the story as it would have been had Angel continued. The drawn likenesses are spot on and all the action, plot and humour of the TV series has been captured perfectly. As someone who never buys comic books, I bought the first volume Angel: After The Fall: After the Fall: After the Fall v. 1 (Angel (IDW Publishing)) hesitantly, but it's fantastic, it really is, and if you want to find out what happened after that fight in the alleyway - the official story as told by Joss Whedon - then you must buy this. Find out what happens to Angel, Gunn, Spike, Illyria/Fred, Wesley, Lorne and also Gwen, Nina and Connor. Hope you don't mind that this isn't a review of the box set as such - which I have and is well worth the asking price - but I hope you've found it helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 3 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Angel - Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I am writing this review after re watching this box set recently {am on early series 5} whilst I can't speak fore the extra's not having watched them the series itself is brilliant,dare I say better than Buffy.
The main theme in Buffy was the trials of growing up with the monsters and threats tying in with more mundane themes {Lesbianism, School life} Angel takes it from the other direction living with the choices you made.
The overall arc is I feel stronger than in Buffy Partly due to the Presence of Wolfram and Hart as an overarching threat/protagonist.
The series is not one to dip in and out of as you have real character progression and growth
Wesley {who we first meet in Buffy} is ace really growing as a character the same goes for all the characters {Cordelia, Gunn, Fred} there are many reasons to recomend this not just that season 5 is post season 7 Buffy so it adds to that show as well but kareoke and puppets. dude puppets

Angel - Complete Collection [DVD]
Angel - Complete Collection [DVD] by Joss Whedon (DVD - 2007)
Used & New from: £29.78