4.0 out of 5 stars Barry's final minutes...
This product review started out with the greatest of intentions, but slowly reduces itself into the most pointless nonsensical drivel imaginable. For that, I sincerely apologise.

Published 20 months ago by DARKcell

3.0 out of 5 stars Aaaaahhhhggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Published on 30 Aug. 2011 by Simon Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Barry's final minutes..., 17 Aug. 2013
DARKcell - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Spider Catcher (Garden & Outdoors)

This product is good, but not great. Firstly, when using it, you never seem quite far enough away. This however may simply be my level of arachnophobia, and not the fault of the device, which granted, is a decent length. Even the next room at times feels too close. I have about a 50% success rate with this product. In my experience, it's all about where the spider is. If it is on a flat piece of wall, great, it works every time. If however it is at the meeting point of two walls, or worse, the corner up by the ceiling, it's considerably harder. When I have failed to catch the spider, it has almost always dropped straight to the ground, so keep this in mind and prepare for this eventuality with a fall back plan. On one occasion, I failed to grasp the little blighter properly and it somehow managed to begin crawling up the outside of the bristles toward me. Needless to say I suffered some form of black out/mild cardiac event, and when I came to the spider was nowhere to be seen.

Those worried about the strength of the bristles can rest easy. I have successfully caught one of the big boys (we'll call him Barry).

Barry was up in the very corner of the ceiling, so his size was actually an advantage on this occasion. As always I had a backup plan in case of failure - due to Barry's size, this was to sleep that night wrapped up in a mosquito net and put the house on the market the following morning. Whilst I realised that prospective buyers may be put off by having Barry as a housemate (who by that time would surely have got settled and claimed the master suite), I saw no other option. As I crept up behind Barry, spider catcher in one hand, mossie net in the other, he glanced over his shoulder and stared directly at me. Our eyes met. I hesitated for just a moment. Suddenly I dashed forward like an olympic fencer, spider catcher in my outstretched arm. I released the trigger and having no time to react, Barry was taken by surprise and immediately cocooned in this plastic straight jacket for arachnids. That would have been the point (as per the product instructions), to release Barry back into the wild, where he could live out his life in the company of family and loved ones. This didn't happen. What I did to Barry I'm not proud of; and it certainly isn't a suitable read for our younger audience. Those curious, just know this...

Barry won't be back.

OVERVIEW
Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes
If lost/damaged would I repurchase product? Yes

PROS:
+ Does what it says on the tin
+ Well made
+ Decent value for money
+ Strong bristles

CONS:
- Device never seems long enough
- Tricky catching spiders in corners

NB:
- No spider was harmed in the making of this review. Except Barry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping spiders alive, 30 Oct. 2009
RICHARD HARRIS (Worcester England) - See all my reviews
My wife was had perfected the technique of killing spiders with a deadly flick of her slipper if i was not there to pick it up and put it outside so I thought this the ideal present for both her and the spider population of Worcester.The catcher now hides behind the arm chair ready to be whipped out at the slightest suggestion that one of our eight legged eight eyed friends are shareing our living space.The catcher works beautifully picking them up and trapping them while you walk them out into the garden and release them safely onto the lawn so that they can go away breed and invade you on mass next year (such is nature).

5.0 out of 5 stars What do you possibly have to complain about?!, 16 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Spider Catcher (Garden & Outdoors)
Here are two problems from other reviews that made me histate before forking out £10 on this little beauty:

It's not long enough
It doesn't work for spiders in corners

I'd like to answer both of these issues in my own brief story... I recently moved out of family home at the age of 22, and for the first time I was living alone. Of course, I'd moved out for university but I always had flatmates, and these were my port of call during spider season. That, or of course, our trusted Henry hoover.

After six months in my new home, it became increasingly evident that spiders were going to be a problem. However, these were not your run-of-the-mill house spiders... no, these were larger. These were the ones with large abdomens, or the ones that moved so fast you could hardly blink before it was under the sofa or the gap under the oven. No; these were no regular spiders. Unfortunately, my only solution was to use my hoover. As someone brought up in a Hindu household, I felt incredibly sorry and guilty for each and every spider I sucked up that pipe; I justified the action by simply telling myself that they would have spared no mercy for me. However, as the human being in this scenario, I was bound by a moral duty to find a solution that required as little killing as possible.

So, here we are. My spider catcher arrived yesterday, much to the bewilderment of my parents. "What the hell is that?" and "why did you spend so much money on this stick?" were the prevailing questions throughout the day. I started to second guess myself - was this really worth it? Is it long enough? Will it be able to deal with the larger spiders back at my own home?

Lo and behold, there came a spider. Granted, it was a house spider - the type that I am now thoroughly used to. It sat on the ceiling, not quite in the corner but definitely chilling at the 90 degree right angle. This was as good an opportunity as any. I readied my spider catcher, hand forced as tight as it could be, o the bristles werre as encompassing as possible. I approached the spider slowly, and as it was about to move, I let go. Voila - the spider was safely trapped in the soft bristles of my new favourite toy. I quickly disposed of the spider by clanking on the side of an open window to ensure the spider was out. Was it long enough? Yes, almost certainly. Can it deal with spiders in corners? Yep, fairly sure it can.

I felt compelled to write a review on this for one reason alone - I feel empowered. I still can't walk into my flat or anywhere else for that matter without a subconscious spider check of all the usual places - ceiling corners, behind the toilet in the bathroom or between the gap of the washing machine and the kitchen sink. A spider-free home doesn't leave me anxiety free, either - I'd be the ever vigilant, ever watching spider freak. I can safely say that this experience has left me feeling empowered. I feel positive going back and living on my own, and taking care of these pesky arachnids. I feel confident that my fear of spiders will reduce as time goes on, and I feel happy that I was able to take care of one on my own.

Quite frankly, the £10 price tag is a bargain for this feeling. Someone can take £10 from you, but nobody can ever take away this feeling. Ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars spider catcher, 15 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Spider Catcher (Garden & Outdoors)
This product is absolutly excellent,i found a massive spider in bathroom, caught it right away. I took the beast out to garden, on its release it turned on me grabing me by my leg i screamed in terror as it tried to drag me into the undergrowth.My wife heard my cry for help and appeared on the scene. As soon as spider spotted approaching wife it thought better of it, released me and did a runner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Aaaaahhhhggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 30 Aug. 2011
Simon Brown (Doncaster, UK) - See all my reviews
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Spider Catcher (Garden & Outdoors)
Just tried this on my first 2 spiders tonight (it's late august 2011 as I write this and we've had a spider plague recently, including 2 last week that could be seen from space). Anyway, back to tonight, first up was a 1.5 cm spider on the celing it caught just fine, but a 2cm spider on a wall it failed to capture the first time, then knocked clean off the wall the 2nd time, so then I had 30 minutes of fun chasing it round the room before eventually capturing it on the floor with my other spider catcher, the see-through plastic slidey type.

The problem seems to be as you release the trigger, the bristles push away from the wall a little and since spiders are very flat, it doesn't grab them that well. It also doesn't surround the spider until it's nearly closed. I would probably be too terrified to use this on a really big spider too, plus I doubt it would hold one for long. It's also fairly tricky to get it over a really quick spider. Put all that together, and for a real arachnophobe, you'll probably have trouble using this, and it does seem to need to be used with some precision and a steady hand to work well.

I'm honestly reaching the conclusion that the only thing good at catching spiders would be a proper mains powered vacuum cleaner. I don't care if they die, they're horrible things anyway. Put them outside and they'll only come straight back in.

Btw if anyone invents an air-tight anti-spider suit I can live in, please let me know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 17 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Spider Catcher (Garden & Outdoors)
I love this little gadget, so neat, compact & very effective. I am petrified of spiders but have already caught 4 with the Spider Catcher which has given me more confidence in my ability to deal with them. Previously I would be frozen with fear & scared to pass where one was lurking. I would have sleepless nights wondering if it would creep up on me. Now, I reach for the Spider Catcher & grab it quick. It's amazing how it doesn't harm them, I am able to look at them trapped within the plastic with bemused interest. You can then put them outside safely & unharmed. I can't praise this gadget enough, it is the best money I've spent. You need to be quick though because as you know they run fast! But it is very easy to use. The only thing is catching spiders in corners, this is more tricky & you need to sort of shoo it out of the corner & onto the flat which can be a bit aaarggh but grab it quick & job done. I would definitely recommend. I have caught medium spiders in it no problem. Maybe the biggest being about 6mm.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more flattened spiders!, 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Spider Catcher (Garden & Outdoors)
Now that the warmer months are here, I am finding a sudden surge of spiders in my flat. I don't like to kill them, but I would always end up either squashing them or killing them by accident. The final straw came the other day. There was a rather large and monstrous-looking spider on the landing. I got some kitchen roll and opened my front door ready. After much struggling and running around, I finally caught the spider in the kitchen roll paper. I admit I had a firm grip, as I was worried I would drop the spider and it would fall on me. I rushed outside and placed the spider on the ground...and it lay there wriggling some of its legs, but otherwise not moving. It looked like it had been flattened.

I felt so bad that I searched Amazon for some gadget to deal with the spiders in a better way, and I found this Spider Catcher. It is simple enough to use, and it comes with a decent-sized plastic spider to practise on! The handle is long too, so you can reach up to the ceiling and into corners. It also states on the packaging that it can be used for insects other than just spiders.

This morning (literally the day after the item arrived) I was able to test the Spider Catcher out for real. There was another spider in the hallway, one of those large but spindly ones which make cobwebs everywhere. I whipped out the Spider Catcher, and although it took me a few attempts to catch it, I quickly had the spider securely in the bristles. The spider wasn't moving, and I was worried it was hurt, but when I went outside and released it, the spider scurried off. Hooray!

So I am very happy with this item. No more feelings of guilt over another killed insect. And no more crushed, flattened or dead spiders.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't be without one now., 21 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Spider Catcher (Garden & Outdoors)
I actually recommended and purchased this for my mother-in-law. As she doesn't like to kill spiders, this was exactly what she was looking for. When you squeeze the trigger mechanism, the bristles open up, Release the trigger over the spider and it gently encases the spider and keeps it at a good arms length. You can put the catcher out of the window/door, release the trigger to open the bristles and the spider falls out. All done. I've personally found it to be a life saver as I can't stand spiders, my mother-in-law is seeing the benefits of the Spider Catcher also.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best spider catcher by far, 17 April 2012
L. P. Cooke "Baddypirate" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spider Catcher (Garden & Outdoors)
I have previously had two of the suction spider catchers, both of which broke after a couple of years each. They both worked well, but were flimsily constructed and required batteries. I live on the third floor of a block of flats, so my technique was to vacuum up the spider, take the catcher outside, then drop the spider over the balcony and watch it sail gently down to the ground below. But I always had to tap the tube on the balcony railings to dislodge the spider, which meant that bits of the tubing would occasionally drop with the spider. Also, after replacing the battery, the replacement wouldn't fit properly back into the battery area for some reason.

This brush-type thing is much more sturdy and it doesn't require batteries, so I anticipate that this will last for many years of spider removal. It is simple to catch the spider from arm's length and the bristles absolutely securely hold the spider until you have got to where you want to release it. Again, I take it to my balcony, use the handle to open up the bristles, and this time the spider immediately parachutes gently to earth without any tapping or dislodging required!

I have given this item five stars in all categories, though I'm not sure why it's in the toy section. But I expect that some children would enjoy using this! I haven't let my boy loose on it yet because I want to make sure the spider doesn't get away...

4.0 out of 5 stars Arachnophobes do not fear, the Spider Catcher is here!, 26 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Spider Catcher (Garden & Outdoors)
I write this minutes after a successful test with a real house spider. I've been chasing the damn thing over the house for the past week. It always managed to elude me! I finally caught it in the downstairs toilet. It was partly on the skirting board and partly on the wall, behind the toilet, making it a bit tricky. However, I just about managed to catch it in the Spider Catcher, though as I took it outside the spider seemed to break free of the bristles and was clinging on for dear life. Fortunately though I managed to shake it off and it scurried away unharmed. Job done.

My only criticism is that the adhesive hook the Spider Catcher comes with just does not work. It cannot hold the Spider Catcher's weight and soon falls off; the hook itself comes away from its adhesive backing and falls off. I tried five times on a flat surface and it just wouldn't stay up. Don't they test these things? Didn't they know the hook isn't strong enough? Anyway, I found a work around by simply using superglue.

Overall I'd give this gadget 9/10. It does more or less what it's supposed to. Of course each encounter with a spider is different and it may require a little patience and creativity on your part to be successful with it every time. While the small plastic 'practice' spider toy it comes with is a nice idea, ultimately you can only see if it works when you encounter the real thing!

Spider Catcher