4.0 out of 5 stars Barry's final minutes...
This product review started out with the greatest of intentions, but slowly reduces itself into the most pointless nonsensical drivel imaginable. For that, I sincerely apologise.

Published 11 months ago by DARKcell

3.0 out of 5 stars Aaaaahhhhggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Published on 30 Aug 2011 by Simon Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Barry's final minutes..., 17 Aug 2013
DARKcell - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Easy Eco Friendly Safe Spider Insect Bug Catcher Clamshell Gadget House Tool (Toy)

This product is good, but not great. Firstly, when using it, you never seem quite far enough away. This however may simply be my level of arachnophobia, and not the fault of the device, which granted, is a decent length. Even the next room at times feels too close. I have about a 50% success rate with this product. In my experience, it's all about where the spider is. If it is on a flat piece of wall, great, it works every time. If however it is at the meeting point of two walls, or worse, the corner up by the ceiling, it's considerably harder. When I have failed to catch the spider, it has almost always dropped straight to the ground, so keep this in mind and prepare for this eventuality with a fall back plan. On one occasion, I failed to grasp the little blighter properly and it somehow managed to begin crawling up the outside of the bristles toward me. Needless to say I suffered some form of black out/mild cardiac event, and when I came to the spider was nowhere to be seen.

Those worried about the strength of the bristles can rest easy. I have successfully caught one of the big boys (we'll call him Barry).

Barry was up in the very corner of the ceiling, so his size was actually an advantage on this occasion. As always I had a backup plan in case of failure - due to Barry's size, this was to sleep that night wrapped up in a mosquito net and put the house on the market the following morning. Whilst I realised that prospective buyers may be put off by having Barry as a housemate (who by that time would surely have got settled and claimed the master suite), I saw no other option. As I crept up behind Barry, spider catcher in one hand, mossie net in the other, he glanced over his shoulder and stared directly at me. Our eyes met. I hesitated for just a moment. Suddenly I dashed forward like an olympic fencer, spider catcher in my outstretched arm. I released the trigger and having no time to react, Barry was taken by surprise and immediately cocooned in this plastic straight jacket for arachnids. That would have been the point (as per the product instructions), to release Barry back into the wild, where he could live out his life in the company of family and loved ones. This didn't happen. What I did to Barry I'm not proud of; and it certainly isn't a suitable read for our younger audience. Those curious, just know this...

Barry won't be back.

OVERVIEW
Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes
If lost/damaged would I repurchase product? Yes

PROS:
+ Does what it says on the tin
+ Well made
+ Decent value for money
+ Strong bristles

CONS:
- Device never seems long enough
- Tricky catching spiders in corners

NB:
- No spider was harmed in the making of this review. Except Barry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping spiders alive, 30 Oct 2009
RICHARD HARRIS (Worcester England) - See all my reviews
My wife was had perfected the technique of killing spiders with a deadly flick of her slipper if i was not there to pick it up and put it outside so I thought this the ideal present for both her and the spider population of Worcester.The catcher now hides behind the arm chair ready to be whipped out at the slightest suggestion that one of our eight legged eight eyed friends are shareing our living space.The catcher works beautifully picking them up and trapping them while you walk them out into the garden and release them safely onto the lawn so that they can go away breed and invade you on mass next year (such is nature).

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 17 Aug 2011
I love this little gadget, so neat, compact & very effective. I am petrified of spiders but have already caught 4 with the Spider Catcher which has given me more confidence in my ability to deal with them. Previously I would be frozen with fear & scared to pass where one was lurking. I would have sleepless nights wondering if it would creep up on me. Now, I reach for the Spider Catcher & grab it quick. It's amazing how it doesn't harm them, I am able to look at them trapped within the plastic with bemused interest. You can then put them outside safely & unharmed. I can't praise this gadget enough, it is the best money I've spent. You need to be quick though because as you know they run fast! But it is very easy to use. The only thing is catching spiders in corners, this is more tricky & you need to sort of shoo it out of the corner & onto the flat which can be a bit aaarggh but grab it quick & job done. I would definitely recommend. I have caught medium spiders in it no problem. Maybe the biggest being about 6mm.

5.0 out of 5 stars spider catcher, 15 Aug 2011
This product is absolutly excellent,i found a massive spider in bathroom, caught it right away. I took the beast out to garden, on its release it turned on me grabing me by my leg i screamed in terror as it tried to drag me into the undergrowth.My wife heard my cry for help and appeared on the scene. As soon as spider spotted approaching wife it thought better of it, released me and did a runner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spider Catcher, 30 Sep 2009
Mr. Pa Russell (uk) - See all my reviews
This product is fantastic and easy to use and does not harm the spiders or insects. The item paralyses the spider so it does not move until you take it outside and dispose of it in garden.

This has been a great product and curbs fear of spiders or bugs. The only slight downside is you have to wait for the spider to move away from skirting board or corner before catching it.

Highly recommended for people who do not like spiders!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 14 Sep 2010
I would not be without this! It is very easy to use, the spider is caught quickly so you don't end up in a frightened panic chasing it round the room, and then it is secure but unhurt as you carry it to a convenient place to release it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Aaaaahhhhggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 30 Aug 2011
Simon Brown (Doncaster, UK) - See all my reviews
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Just tried this on my first 2 spiders tonight (it's late august 2011 as I write this and we've had a spider plague recently, including 2 last week that could be seen from space). Anyway, back to tonight, first up was a 1.5 cm spider on the celing it caught just fine, but a 2cm spider on a wall it failed to capture the first time, then knocked clean off the wall the 2nd time, so then I had 30 minutes of fun chasing it round the room before eventually capturing it on the floor with my other spider catcher, the see-through plastic slidey type.

The problem seems to be as you release the trigger, the bristles push away from the wall a little and since spiders are very flat, it doesn't grab them that well. It also doesn't surround the spider until it's nearly closed. I would probably be too terrified to use this on a really big spider too, plus I doubt it would hold one for long. It's also fairly tricky to get it over a really quick spider. Put all that together, and for a real arachnophobe, you'll probably have trouble using this, and it does seem to need to be used with some precision and a steady hand to work well.

I'm honestly reaching the conclusion that the only thing good at catching spiders would be a proper mains powered vacuum cleaner. I don't care if they die, they're horrible things anyway. Put them outside and they'll only come straight back in.

Btw if anyone invents an air-tight anti-spider suit I can live in, please let me know.

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy gadget, 20 Aug 2008
I saw this advertised on a gadget website, and thought I would see if I could get one on Amazon. I've been lucky enough not to see any spiders yet (typical!) but I've caught a couple of daddy long legs and even a bluebottle with it and managed to release them out the window, and they all seemed to fly away unhurt so I would say it's a good buy for any fellow phobics who can't face squashing the beasties!

5.0 out of 5 stars A stroke of genius!, 17 Aug 2012
S Withey - See all my reviews
This spider catcher is a god send. I hate spiders, however the one thing I hate more than sitting across the room looking at a spider, is knowing there was a spider sitting across from me a few moments ago but know I can't see it. Having this to hand means I can grab them and throw them out.

It took me a while to gain the nerve to do it and I still get a cold sweat if they are particularly large but I am getting there. I chose this catcher over the plastic dome one because I disliked the idea of having to put my hand or my foot close enough to it to shut the trap. Also I was concerned about the size of the dome and that it wouldn't fit large spiders. This catcher has the claw like brush, which means even large spiders become trapped and it can call be done from a distance. I haven't yet caught one off of the ceiling yet but only because they haven't had chance to get up there before I've nabbed it! When you catch them you can see that they are immobilised and can't go anywhere, and you can drop them at a safe distance once you get outside.

This product is great for me, but it really depends on what scares you the most with the spiders, I hate seeing them running about when they are trapped in glasses, the catcher means you can only really see it's legs and not even that with the smaller spiders. I also hate getting up to close to them, which is solved with this. It also makes me feel ill when you catch them and one of their legs comes off under the glass or they get squashed, this solves all of these for me. Definitely a good buy!!

Quick side note, when you open the box it comes with a plastic spider to practice on. It is very life like, might i suggest throwing it away to avoid coming across it at a later date and getting freaked out because it looks so real.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good even for the less brave, 3 Mar 2012
i am one of those who panics when i am confronted by a creepy crawley, yet i didnt want to hurt or kill them either. so i looked up a solution as to how to remove Spiders and found this. if your like me or have young children who are afraid of it or have trouble bending down or reaching up high this is very resourceful.

PRO: it comes with a plastic toy spider so that you can practice. it has a lot of length between you and the spider so that your or not close to coming in contact with it. It doesnt hurt or even kill the spider, its simply used to pick it up and then can even be carried to the back garden or street. its very easy to grip them (providing you dont panic) if you have trouble bending down or reaching up to a high wall then this is very useful for that. You can also hold up the spider and even examine it if you are brave enough and it will not get you. it can be used on horizontal and verticle surfaces.

CON: typical, you finally become armed with a spider catcher and theres never one around when you want one :)

i give this 5 stars because it does the job with no messing around