4.0 out of 5 stars Dip your toe in the sea of 'roy
With Marcus Brigstocke you expect intelligent Left Wing-ism from the point of view of a middle class, angry, yet articulate Londoner. And that's exactly what you get.

Published on 15 July 2008 by @GeekZilla9000

3.0 out of 5 stars Planet Boreduroy
I have to say, I saw him Live At The Apollo and though, like most people who go on that show; "Well, his DVD will just be the same but a bit longer" and it was, but the extended parts weren't as interesting or funny as his LATA stuff.

And he repeats that geography teacher joke on every panel show or stand up show he does. It's a little old.

Very hit...
Published on 11 Sept. 2008 by M. Ward

4.0 out of 5 stars Dip your toe in the sea of 'roy, 15 July 2008
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Marcus Brigstocke: Planet Corduroy [DVD] [2007] (DVD)

This stand-up show contains fantastic observations on modern Britain. His polite manner overspills into Left Wing attacks on Conservatism, racism, and his extension blocking neighbour Dave. He brings a much needed dose of reality into a media saturated with right wing press. His rants represent the anti-Amercanism, anti-war, pro-thinking beliefs held by most of those whom Marcus Brigstocke appeals to.

The main weakness of the DVD is that it isn't always that funny. But with comedians like Brigstocke - the politics are just as important as the laughs. You feel that sometimes an observation is tagged onto a joke which maybe drags on too long. For many, this will be a boring DVD with just a few laughs - but for those who like their comedy a bit more cerebral, then this is something to enjoy. The text epilogue at the end states that this is the most honest, direct, and exposing way to communicate your views - and I'm grateful that Marcus Brigstocke had the balls to do it.

There is a lot of old material on this, I'm sure I've seen most of it before. But as this is his first stand up DVD I shall forgive it - it feels too mean to give this three stars - it's worthy of more than that. But fingers crossed that the there will be another DVD in the future - with fresher material.

3.0 out of 5 stars Planet Boreduroy, 11 Sept. 2008
M. Ward (Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marcus Brigstocke: Planet Corduroy [DVD] [2007] (DVD)

Very hit and miss, but as a stand up DVD it's not bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beautiful funny man, 21 Feb. 2008
Clarissa (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marcus Brigstocke: Planet Corduroy [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I first saw Marcus Brigstocke in The Savages on TV. He played this awkward husband. Then he was in Love, Actually, this awkward DJ. So I ordered the DVD because I love awkwardness and I have one of those all-regions players and it's February in Canada, which is dreary and crap.
I laughed non-stop at Planet Corduroy. He's brilliant but in a most subtle way. There's something about his pauses, and his shy wide-eyed I'm-a-very-foolish-person finishes. I love it when he gets mad at his neighbour (who blocked his extension) because the man doesn't really do mad. He's not scary, just indignant and fizzing and then he quiets down.
Plus corduroy is funny. Intrinsically, like Brigstocke. That's Max Gogarty right there.
The Extra (Gap Year Tour) is wonderful.
Sorry for the superlatives. Can't explain why, but I was shrieking, and so will you be.
Cheers,
Heather Mallick
Toronto

4.0 out of 5 stars Not genius, but not bad either..., 28 May 2012
Emmster (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Marcus Brigstocke: Planet Corduroy [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I think this is a good, solid comedy DVD. Brigstocke is obviously a man extremely frustrated with the ignorance and prejudice he sees around him. His material is highly political and his language is decidedly more colourful than on tv/radio.

I didn't find all of it funny and, I suspect most won't. A few lines have been repeated on other shows, but honestly, which comedian doesn't recycle material?

In the final analysis - he made me laugh, he made me chuckle and I know I'll watch it again every once in a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh a minute, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Marcus Brigstocke: Planet Corduroy [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Excellent DVD for fans of Marcus Brigstocke. Lots of laughs and fun throughout. Would recommend to anyone who is in need of a giggle or two

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great., 22 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Marcus Brigstocke: Planet Corduroy [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
We are being bombarded recently with all these new dvd releases by famous stand up comedians (who also work in TV). On one hand we have geniuses like Jimmy Carr, Dara O'Brian churning out great comedy dvds, and on the other hand we have substandard stand up comedy dvds from Alan Carr and Patrick Kielty.

Marcus Brigstocke is somewhere in between. He is better than CArr and Kielty. His posh voice and his idiosyncratic brand of satirical humour covers diverse topics that range from climate change, Ireland in the EU, religious extremism, Polish workers, neighbours from hell, immigration and loans companies, women's magazines, and the idiotic David Blaine. I did not laugh much during this 'comedy' dvd. I was entertained but i did not laugh much....

The main weakness with Brigstocke is i felt sometimes an observation was tagged onto a joke which maybe dragged on for too long. There's not much originality, or stage presence, but there is something here to entertain for one pound on Amazon. The extras on this dvd are poor. there is a rubbish sketch about a posh kid (Brigstocke) talking about world travel. Reminds me of Tim Nice-but-Dim from the brilliant Fast Show.

In conclusion Brigstocke will never reach the brilliance of Lee Evans or Dara o Brian. There is no audience interaction with Brigstocke. O'Brian for example engages in audience interaction which is totally genuine and hilarious. Dara o'Briain/ Evans et al are virtuoso comics at work. Brigstocke is not.

5/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny!!!, 26 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Marcus Brigstocke: Planet Corduroy [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I love this man, He is just so funny! This is observational comedy at its best, I love the jokes about Londoners, they are just so true! I only discovered Marcus a few weeks ago on YouTube and I had to buy his DVD. This is without a doubt some of the funniest stand-up I've ever seen.

Thanks Marcus!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Marcus is right..., 31 Dec. 2008
F. Shaw (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marcus Brigstocke: Planet Corduroy [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
...when he says that at points in his show it stops being comedy and turns into a lecture/rally. This show has some very funny gags but some how lacks a bit of the atmosphere other performers achieve, there are times when Marcus seems to slow down his delivery for no reason.

Apart from that however it is very funny. Although I would add this is not the show for you if occasionally needless swearing bothers you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest man alive, 11 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Marcus Brigstocke: Planet Corduroy [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Marcus Brigstocke is absolutely hilarious. This DVD had me in stitches from start to finish, well worth it! The man is quite simply a genius!

2.0 out of 5 stars ..., 8 Dec. 2007
M. Nutter (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marcus Brigstocke: Planet Corduroy [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I had high hopes for this DVD, but if you've seen him at the apollo with Jack Dee theres no point in purchasing this.

Its pretty much the same material with a couple more thrown in.

I didnt like the way it was shot either, strange camera angles..

Marcus Brigstocke: Planet Corduroy [DVD] [2007]
Marcus Brigstocke: Planet Corduroy [DVD] [2007] by Marcus Brigstocke (DVD - 2007)