4.0 out of 5 stars Not all original recordings
Published on 16 Nov 2008 by Sad Mike

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...with reservations
Not a bad colllection at all. However, it seems to be a trend these days to include some later versions of the originals, which do not seem to have the energy/zest as the originals. Good value for the money in terms of number of tracks...but let down by a few 'secondary' performances.
Published 17 months ago by M. OVERY

4.0 out of 5 stars Not all original recordings, 16 Nov 2008
Sad Mike (Shoreham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
This is a really great selection of songs and even though most appear all too frequently on numerous compilations celebrating this period, the album would still normally rate five stars. However, I am surprised that none of the previous reviewers point out that not all the recordings are the originals as stated but inferior re-recordings that lack the nostalgia of the originals, e.g. Only Sixteeen by Craig Douglas, Wonderful Land by the Shadows and Pat Boone's Love Letters In The Sand. This really lets it down and there really can be no excuse for this from a label of the pedigree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Come outside... will I what?, 6 Aug 2008
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
Sometimes there is a conspiracy to try and make us believe that sex like pop music did not really happen in Britain until the Beatles came along and released us from songs like How much is that Doggy in the window or If I had known you were coming I would have baked a cake.

This is a good mix a British and US pop before the Beatles turned up. In recent years I have seen Joe Brown and Marty Wilde live and they are as good as ever. It is pure nostalgia for a time gone by. You had to be there to appreciate it. Cracking hits like Johnny Remember Me and Mike Sarne Come Outside.

I remember when a bloke who obviously wasn't a teenager was regarded as rock and roll as Bill Haley and the Comets did rock around the clock. It is great even over fifty years later.

Our listening was very restricted pre the Pirate radio stations in the early sixties.we had to get our music where we could until today where it is pouring out everywhere. We had to savour every opportunity to listen to Buddy Holly or Skeeter Davis.

What could top End of the world by Skeeter Davis ?. It can bring tears to your eyes all these years later. Not a duff track on this 52 track double CD.

I will be off to Tescos to get the follow up instrumentals of the period. It is a treat to go on a long car journey and play the CDs right the way through.

Highly recommended to those of us of a certain age. It conjures up national service, two way family favourites the Navy Lark on Sunday lunch time radio.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...with reservations, 8 Nov 2012
M. OVERY "wonderwho" (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars dreamboats and petticoats, 15 Nov 2007
Mrs. Marilyn Bennett "www.spiritual-pursuits.com" (scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
For the more mature amongst us this is sheer memory lane. I don't usually indulge in nostalgia but I couldn't resist this one. It reminds us of our youth when life may not have been simpler but we all thought it was at the time. A CD I may not listen to often but it brings back fond memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 18 Dec 2007
Mr. E. Webb - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
Transistor Radios, Empty Roads on a Sunday, No shops open on a Sunday, Black & White Television, Coffee as a treat, Chicken only at Xmas, Corner Shops, Television not starting until 5pm and finishing at @ midnight. Amazing what music can bring back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Dec 2007
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
This kind of music always sparks my interest it's beautiful and gives you such an imagination. Each song is quality.

I'm only 18 but I know a good buy when I see one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth The Wait, 8 Aug 2008
V. J. Aviston (Herts. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
Great to have so many oldies bringing back unforgetable memories all in a compact set. Many of which where great favouties in my teens/early twenties. A truly collectable purchase. These tracks will never now be forgotten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teenage Memories, 4 Jan 2008
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
Best xmas present I received, even if it was from myself. This is a magical album that brought back many memories of my teenage years. Fifty two tracks, and I remembered them all, mostly word for word. This type of music will never die. Can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars dreamer, 1 Feb 2008
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
I grew up listening to these songs and im only 35.but thanks to my mother i grew to appreciate good music.Full of nostalgia!!!
buy this album you wont be disapointed!!!!!
Its Fantastic!!!

P.S. Thanks Mum!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure Nostalgia, 24 Dec 2007
Cynthia Adams "krafty" (East Tilbury, Essex. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
Memories came flooding back with this item..all of the music is unforgetable and are full of meaning.Each piece of music is so memorable.
Nostalgic and danceworthy.
I love it.

ARRAY(0xaa366474)

Dreamboats And Petticoats
Dreamboats And Petticoats by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2007)