4.0 out of 5 stars Not all original recordings
Published on 16 Nov. 2008 by Sad Mike

1.0 out of 5 stars dreamboats
I saw the stage show and loved the music but this cd is very tinny sound and amateur not what i expected
Published on 30 Oct. 2010 by M. Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars Not all original recordings, 16 Nov. 2008
Sad Mike (Shoreham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
This is a really great selection of songs and even though most appear all too frequently on numerous compilations celebrating this period, the album would still normally rate five stars. However, I am surprised that none of the previous reviewers point out that not all the recordings are the originals as stated but inferior re-recordings that lack the nostalgia of the originals, e.g. Only Sixteeen by Craig Douglas, Wonderful Land by the Shadows and Pat Boone's Love Letters In The Sand. This really lets it down and there really can be no excuse for this from a label of the pedigree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Come outside... will I what?, 6 Aug. 2008
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
Sometimes there is a conspiracy to try and make us believe that sex like pop music did not really happen in Britain until the Beatles came along and released us from songs like How much is that Doggy in the window or If I had known you were coming I would have baked a cake.

This is a good mix a British and US pop before the Beatles turned up. In recent years I have seen Joe Brown and Marty Wilde live and they are as good as ever. It is pure nostalgia for a time gone by. You had to be there to appreciate it. Cracking hits like Johnny Remember Me and Mike Sarne Come Outside.

I remember when a bloke who obviously wasn't a teenager was regarded as rock and roll as Bill Haley and the Comets did rock around the clock. It is great even over fifty years later.

Our listening was very restricted pre the Pirate radio stations in the early sixties.we had to get our music where we could until today where it is pouring out everywhere. We had to savour every opportunity to listen to Buddy Holly or Skeeter Davis.

What could top End of the world by Skeeter Davis ?. It can bring tears to your eyes all these years later. Not a duff track on this 52 track double CD.

I will be off to Tescos to get the follow up instrumentals of the period. It is a treat to go on a long car journey and play the CDs right the way through.

Highly recommended to those of us of a certain age. It conjures up national service, two way family favourites the Navy Lark on Sunday lunch time radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'A GREAT BEGINNING FOR THE 'DREAMBOATS' SERIES', 29 Aug. 2014
rbmusicman/and/movie-fan' (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
Back to the beginning of the 'Dreamboats series' you don't have to have lived through the 'sixties' to enjoy this 'pop' album, it contains many tracks that have truly been hard to come by, artists that i'd almost forgotten yet i remember the songs.
Have you ever thought of 'Wendy Richards' (Pauline Fowler in Eastenders) as a recording artist ? well if you buy and listen to this '2-CD' compilation she features with 'Mike Sarne' with their number called 'Come Outside' 'Wendy' is the voice feedback toward the end of the song, there you go a bit of useless ' trivia 'Seriously this compilation is a great reminder for fans from yesteryear, and also a great addition for those who collect 'Pop' music from the late 50's into the early 60's.
As well as the great 'vocal' hits the album also contains some pretty good 'instrumentals' like 'Telstar' from the Tornadoes( one of the first 'vinyl' singles i bought ) 'The Shadows with 'Wonderful Land' and 'Duane Eddy's' 'Because They're Young'
I will in addition to the numbers mention highlight some of the other material fro each disc that can be found on-board........Disc One....'John Leyton' --'Johnny Remember Me'.......
'Roy Orbison' --'Only The Lonely'........'Mark Wynter' --'Go Away Little Girl........
'Brenda Lee' --'All Alone Am I'........'Johnny Burnette' --'You're Sixteen'
and........'The Cascades' --'Rhythm Of The Rain'.......just a few of the magic memories to be found on disc one........Disc Two........'Buddy Holly' --'It Doesn't Matter Anymore'.....
'Bobby Vee--'Rubber Ball'........'Little Eva' --'The Locomotion'........'Pat Boone' --'Love Letters in The Sand'........'Heinz' --'Just Like Eddy'........and.......'Bobby Vinton' --
'Blue Velvet'............a sample of the many memorable tracks to be found on disc two...
This was a great start to what continues to be a very collectable music-series from the vaults of yesterday, there are so many memories on-board, reckon many of us could write a book from those times......this, if you don't already own it, is worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazinnng!, 9 April 2010
R. Heslop - See all my reviews
Im only 18 and i absolutely love this CD, i went to see the musical not long ago and it was amazing! buy this CD!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 18 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
Transistor Radios, Empty Roads on a Sunday, No shops open on a Sunday, Black & White Television, Coffee as a treat, Chicken only at Xmas, Corner Shops, Television not starting until 5pm and finishing at @ midnight. Amazing what music can bring back.

5.0 out of 5 stars dreamboats and petticoats, 15 Nov. 2007
Mrs. Marilyn Bennett "www.spiritual-pursuits.com" (scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
For the more mature amongst us this is sheer memory lane. I don't usually indulge in nostalgia but I couldn't resist this one. It reminds us of our youth when life may not have been simpler but we all thought it was at the time. A CD I may not listen to often but it brings back fond memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
This kind of music always sparks my interest it's beautiful and gives you such an imagination. Each song is quality.

I'm only 18 but I know a good buy when I see one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth The Wait, 8 Aug. 2008
V. J. Aviston (Herts. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
Great to have so many oldies bringing back unforgetable memories all in a compact set. Many of which where great favouties in my teens/early twenties. A truly collectable purchase. These tracks will never now be forgotten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suberp!, 18 May 2012
K A L Martin (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought for my Partner as we were seeing the show at Londons Playhouse Theatre and it took me straight back to our seats as we recalled the show song by song! Excellent keepsake and a good CD to have in the car! Brilliant Show - highly recommend it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Teenage Memories, 4 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
Best xmas present I received, even if it was from myself. This is a magical album that brought back many memories of my teenage years. Fifty two tracks, and I remembered them all, mostly word for word. This type of music will never die. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Dreamboats And Petticoats
Dreamboats And Petticoats by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2007)