4.0 out of 5 stars Not all original recordings
Published on 16 Nov 2008 by Sad Mike

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...with reservations
Not a bad colllection at all. However, it seems to be a trend these days to include some later versions of the originals, which do not seem to have the energy/zest as the originals. Good value for the money in terms of number of tracks...but let down by a few 'secondary' performances.
Published on 8 Nov 2012 by M. OVERY

4.0 out of 5 stars Not all original recordings, 16 Nov 2008
Sad Mike (Shoreham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
This is a really great selection of songs and even though most appear all too frequently on numerous compilations celebrating this period, the album would still normally rate five stars. However, I am surprised that none of the previous reviewers point out that not all the recordings are the originals as stated but inferior re-recordings that lack the nostalgia of the originals, e.g. Only Sixteeen by Craig Douglas, Wonderful Land by the Shadows and Pat Boone's Love Letters In The Sand. This really lets it down and there really can be no excuse for this from a label of the pedigree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Come outside... will I what?, 6 Aug 2008
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
Sometimes there is a conspiracy to try and make us believe that sex like pop music did not really happen in Britain until the Beatles came along and released us from songs like How much is that Doggy in the window or If I had known you were coming I would have baked a cake.

This is a good mix a British and US pop before the Beatles turned up. In recent years I have seen Joe Brown and Marty Wilde live and they are as good as ever. It is pure nostalgia for a time gone by. You had to be there to appreciate it. Cracking hits like Johnny Remember Me and Mike Sarne Come Outside.

I remember when a bloke who obviously wasn't a teenager was regarded as rock and roll as Bill Haley and the Comets did rock around the clock. It is great even over fifty years later.

Our listening was very restricted pre the Pirate radio stations in the early sixties.we had to get our music where we could until today where it is pouring out everywhere. We had to savour every opportunity to listen to Buddy Holly or Skeeter Davis.

What could top End of the world by Skeeter Davis ?. It can bring tears to your eyes all these years later. Not a duff track on this 52 track double CD.

I will be off to Tescos to get the follow up instrumentals of the period. It is a treat to go on a long car journey and play the CDs right the way through.

Highly recommended to those of us of a certain age. It conjures up national service, two way family favourites the Navy Lark on Sunday lunch time radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'A GREAT BEGINNING FOR THE 'DREAMBOATS' SERIES', 29 Aug 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
Back to the beginning of the 'Dreamboats series' you don't have to have lived through the 'sixties' to enjoy this 'pop' album, it contains many tracks that have truly been hard to come by, artists that i'd almost forgotten yet i remember the songs.
Have you ever thought of 'Wendy Richards' (Pauline Fowler in Eastenders) as a recording artist ? well if you buy and listen to this '2-CD' compilation there is a 'Mike Sarne' (Later to be known as Alvin Stardust) number called 'Come Outside' 'Wendy' is the voice feedback toward the end of the song, there you go a bit of useless ' trivia '
Seriously this compilation is a great reminder for fans from yesteryear, and also a great addition for those who collect 'Pop' music from the late 50's into the early 60's.
As well as the great 'vocal' hits the album also contains some pretty good 'instrumentals' like 'Telstar' from the Tornadoes( one of the first 'vinyl' singles i bought ) 'The Shadows with 'Wonderful Land' and 'Duane Eddy's' 'Because They're Young'
I will in addition to the numbers mention highlight some of the other material fro each disc that can be found on-board........Disc One....'John Leyton' --'Johnny Remember Me'.......
'Roy Orbison' --'Only The Lonely'........'Mark Wynter' --'Go Away Little Girl........
'Brenda Lee' --'All Alone Am I'........'Johnny Burnette' --'You're Sixteen'
and........'The Cascades' --'Rhythm Of The Rain'.......just a few of the magic memories to be found on disc one........Disc Two........'Buddy Holly' --'It Doesn't Matter Anymore'.....
'Bobby Vee--'Rubber Ball'........'Little Eva' --'The Locomotion'........'Pat Boone' --'Love Letters in The Sand'........'Heinz' --'Just Like Eddy'........and.......'Bobby Vinton' --
'Blue Velvet'............a sample of the many memorable tracks to be found on disc two...
This was a great start to what continues to be a very collectable music-series from the vaults of yesterday, there are so many memories on-board, reckon many of us could write a book from those times......this, if you don't already own it, is worth checking out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...with reservations, 8 Nov 2012
M. OVERY "wonderwho" (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 18 Dec 2007
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
Transistor Radios, Empty Roads on a Sunday, No shops open on a Sunday, Black & White Television, Coffee as a treat, Chicken only at Xmas, Corner Shops, Television not starting until 5pm and finishing at @ midnight. Amazing what music can bring back.

5.0 out of 5 stars dreamboats and petticoats, 15 Nov 2007
Mrs. Marilyn Bennett "www.spiritual-pursuits.com" (scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
For the more mature amongst us this is sheer memory lane. I don't usually indulge in nostalgia but I couldn't resist this one. It reminds us of our youth when life may not have been simpler but we all thought it was at the time. A CD I may not listen to often but it brings back fond memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Dec 2007
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
This kind of music always sparks my interest it's beautiful and gives you such an imagination. Each song is quality.

I'm only 18 but I know a good buy when I see one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth The Wait, 8 Aug 2008
V. J. Aviston (Herts. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
Great to have so many oldies bringing back unforgetable memories all in a compact set. Many of which where great favouties in my teens/early twenties. A truly collectable purchase. These tracks will never now be forgotten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teenage Memories, 4 Jan 2008
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
Best xmas present I received, even if it was from myself. This is a magical album that brought back many memories of my teenage years. Fifty two tracks, and I remembered them all, mostly word for word. This type of music will never die. Can't recommend it highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars The First Dreamboats And Petticoats Album, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Dreamboats And Petticoats (Audio CD)
I bought this CD as a present for my mum, because she loves this kind of music. We both listened to it and enjoyed it and there are plenty of classic songs on here. The overall sound quality is also good, when you consider how old these songs are now. However, I do have one or two reservations. For starters, the track listing of artists on the back of the case is replete with spelling mistakes. For example, "Johnny Ray", "Helen Shaprio" and "Kathy Kirkby"? I found this baffling, that this has happened with a CD from a reputable record company and it shouldn't happen at all. It is very unprofessional and it makes the CD look like a knocked-off pirate copy from the local market. Universal should sack their proof-reader. Also, as has been pointed out by several other reviewers, not all of the tracks are the original recordings, so be aware of this when you buy it. I noticed that "Only Sixteen" by Craig Douglas, "Rock Island Line" by Lonnie Donegan, "Runaway" by Del Shannon, "Love Letters In The Sand" by Pat Boone and "Wonderful Land" by the Shadows all appeared to be re-recordings, though some were more noticeable than others. This didn't ruin the album, but it means that it is not a perfect CD and so I have deducted a star to take this into account. However, if you can forgive these flaws, then I can still recommend this album, because it does have some very good songs and it is the perfect starting point if you want to collect the entire series. It is just a shame that these small quibbles make it less enjoyable, though not in a big way. It is still a very good album and well worth buying.

Dreamboats And Petticoats
Dreamboats And Petticoats by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2007)