5.0 out of 5 stars Good bike, especially for med height & tall people
Found the bike very easy to assemble (45 min, alone, and never done it before). The screws are clearly labeled too.

Published on 24 April 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Right For A Short Person
Published on 7 Jun 2010 by stampcoverman

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bike, especially for med height & tall people, 24 April 2008
This review is from: York C201 Exercise Bike (Sports)

The bike is very solid.. doesn't feel flimsy at all. We also find it suits medium to tall people well (at 5'8" and 6', we use saddle height setting 3). Started exercising on a beginner level 2.5 months ago, and still very pleased with the machine. Find I actually like hopping on for 30-45 minutes, almost every evening... and that's saying something. ;)

It's not only whisper quiet, but the various programs and resistences are quick to set and keep things interesting. There seems to be plenty of room for all fitness levels.. we're still not exceeding resistence 7 (out of 16). 16 is murderous for an unfit person (can barely move the pedals). I also appreciate the built in hand pulse meter as ear clips just feel weird. The saddle is soft and wide.. very comfortable.

If I was to find something missing about this bike it's a cup/bottle holder.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Right For A Short Person, 7 Jun 2010
This review is from: York C201 Exercise Bike (Sports)
Well made and easy to assemble within an hour. The electronic LCD is easy to operate, thus altering the magnetic resistance of the pedals. The saddle is large and comfortable. Overall, I am very pleased with it, however, I offered my friend the chance to sit on it and have a go. I was surprised to find that her feet did not reach the pedals and she could not see the LCD display because it was too high. She is a full grown adult about 5 foot high. It was not possible to lower the saddle anymore as it was already on the lowest setting and the monitor was fixed it was not tiltable. In conclusion, it's great for me but it is not ideal for small people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bike but check the accuracy of the heart monitor!!, 12 Oct 2008
Christopher Tucker (Kent UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York C201 Exercise Bike (Sports)
This is a great exercise bike, easy to assembly, quiet and sturdy; however, I have to take issue with the accuracy of the heart rate monitor. Upon using it for the first time I noticed how hard I had to push myself to get up towards 130 BPM. I assumed that this was a personal fitness issue having not cycled for some time. I then exercised the following day using my Polar heart rate monitor and was able to compare the different readings. They were dramatically different. The polar device showed a reading of 130 BPM, the York C201 a reading of 80 BPM. Once in a while the readings did coincide but only spasmodically. I have to say I have far more confidence in the Polar device with regards to accuracy.
The readings presented by the exercise bike may well be due to some fault peculiar to my device. It could well be a personal issue with my circulation. That said, I would urge any users, to double check their own pulse manually, or by using a dedicated heart rate monitor.
I intend to keep using this exercise bike but will only use it with the safeguard of a heart rate monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs., 3 Nov 2008
This review is from: York C201 Exercise Bike (Sports)
I'm young and trying to improve my fitness from almost zero having spent the last few months fighting a blood cancer. The bike came with excellent instructions and was easy to assemble. Standing at 5'7" I use the bike on second shortest height setting. The bike wouldn't be suitable for people with short legs, however if you had an electric drill one could make further notches to shorten the saddle another couple of inches. The seat has been designed for someone with a very large bottom and although not uncomfortable for someone stick-thin like myself, it wasn't at all what I am used to on a bike. I replaced the saddle with one of ordinary size from my local bike shop. This is easy to do as they follow a standard design.

The only part of the bike one cannot adjust is the distance of the handlebars from the pedals. The handlebars are quite far away, more so than you'd get on an ordinary bike as this one has to accommodate the largest of users. It's not uncomfortable, just not ideal. Also as one doesn't have to steer on an exercise bike (who'd have thought, eh?) using the handle bars isn't always necessary.

The display and settings are very good and the resistance settings at the highest level would give a good workout to even an Olympic cyclist, by no means easy! I wouldn't have thought so before I bought the bike, but the heart-rate monitor is indispensable. It works accurately (after you give it 15 seconds to count your pulse) and will prevent you from over-working your heart, which is my case is the muscle I'm truly looking to get fit.

The convenience of being able to exercise without having to rely on the weather, the danger of exercising in a busy city, or even having to get properly dressed is a huge bonus to me. The effortless way I can gauge my progress and performance is highly motivational too. I can't really imagine you'd get much more by spending 2 or 3 times this bike's price on another make or model.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, what a bike, what a price!, 19 Jan 2009
This review is from: York C201 Exercise Bike (Sports)
I have been attending a fitness room over the past year, but due to an ankle injury, I haven't been able to go. This bike is quiet, gives a brilliant work out(I am doing 1hr a day). It fits my son, 6ft 5" and my daughter 5ft 2". There are not many home excersise machines that can do that. There are two screw holes in the front strut, totally suitable for a drink bottle cage.So that problem solved.Lovely large saddle- I needed that bit.
Can't think of anything that is missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great service, great machine, great value, 20 Aug 2008
This review is from: York C201 Exercise Bike (Sports)
Excellent service from Amazon - was delivered in 2 days. Took me about an hour to assemble - it was very straightforward, with crisp, clear instructions. I was surprised how quiet the machine was - compared to a treadmill, for example, you would find it difficult to tell if anyone was using it - it is that quiet.

The settings are simple to use, and there is enough variety for most users. The build quality looks and feels solid, and the machine itself is an attractive piece of apparatus.

The seat is pretty hard, but it is obviously built to last, so not a real complaint. Everything is adjustable, and the vast majority of people should find no problem with height/reach.

5.0 out of 5 stars York C201 Cycle, 7 Nov 2008
Melvyn Wood - See all my reviews
This review is from: York C201 Exercise Bike (Sports)
I was influenced by the reviews on this product and havent been disappointed.
Your service was efficient,hard to come by nowadays,even down to being able to contact the carrier to get an approximate time of delivery,avoiding the usual "anytime between 9 and 5.30".
The Cycle was easy to assemble and the user guide easy to understand in fact it was up and working and covered 10K in 40 minutes.
I look forward to many hours of pain in the saddle!!
Thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bike!! But..., 8 Mar 2009
Mrs. A. Hutchison (fife,scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York C201 Exercise Bike (Sports)
This is a good sturdy bike and as other reviews have said it doesn't take too long to assemble. However, the magnet which controls the tension inside the bike was stuck so it was a bit tricky to peddle!!! Amazon and York Helpdesk were both brilliant. Sent it back and have had a speedy refund. Would like to reorder this bike but am concerned the same thing will happen again. Apparently the bike just needs to be knocked in transit and the magnet sticks.

5.0 out of 5 stars york exercise bike, 8 Sep 2009
D. Davies (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York C201 Exercise Bike (Sports)
excellent piece of kit for home use.Its brilliantly quiet, and the varying resitances can be felt through the pedals. Pre programmed with 'routes', which can be individually tailored by the user to different levels of difficulty.Assembly is kept to a minimum with all tools included. Tells you your speed, distance covered, calories used, heart rate etc, together with the route you are on , and the part of the route you are currently cycling, on a clear digital display(powered by 12v adaptor...included).
Provides a great work out, for general fitness or weight loss. Solid and well built piece of kit, at an excellent price

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, stable, and functional, 7 Jan 2010
JPN (Epsom, UK) - See all my reviews
Good points

(1) Very solidly constructed - I am tall (6ft 3in) and weigh around 120kg - bike feels solid and stable even when I am really pushing hard.
(2) Easy to put together (although some of the small screws were tricky to locate in the packaging).
(3) Digital readout is clear and provides a surprisingly comprehensive set of programmes.
(4) Very quiet in operation - I can excercise in the lounge and watch TV without disturbing the rest of the family

Downsides

(1) My wife is "only" 5ft 7in and had to lower the seat to virtually the lowest position to get a comfortable cycling position - if you were very petite then this product might not be suitable for you
(2) The seat - very wide - If you have a bottom the size of Brazil it would fit comfortably on the seat, otherwise it does feel like cycle slightly bow legged
(3) Highest level of resistance is not as severe as a cycle in a gym so might disappoint a hardcore fitness fanatic
(4) No backlight on the display - can be difficult to read in poor lighting conditions (would be a nice to have rather than a necessity)

Overall I am really pleased with this product and can see why this is a Which? Best Buy, and as it is heavily discounted at the moment on Amazon certainly feels like a bargin (York sell reconditioned models even cheaper on thier website). As usual Amazon service and delivery were excellent

York C201 Exercise Bike