5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, gorgeous, pricey.
I got this through the post recently (extremely quick with Amazon Prime!) in a huge box. Slightly annoying to get this from the neighbors and lug it upstairs, but there's lots of polystyrene inside, which is why it's so big.

Published on 11 May 2011 by Matt K

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product with a minor and major flaw
First of all it's a quality winder at a very good price.

The winder can be used with battery's but would recommend you always use the supplied power adaptor as the battery's only lasted about 6 day's.

Published on 3 Dec. 2009 by Mark Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product with a minor and major flaw, 3 Dec. 2009
Mark Edwards (Ayrshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rapport W254 Optima F3 Caron Fibre Quad Watch Winder (Watch)
First of all it's a quality winder at a very good price.

Also due to the shallow angle of the winder one of my watches (Iwc Big Pilot) doesn't wind unless you prop the winder box up so that the watch is held at 90 deg's.There may be other watches out there that have this problem but i would think 99% of watches should be fine.

Update: It would seem with a bit of research that rapport winder motors dont seem to be very reliable , after 1 year 3 of the motors in mine stopped working then 6 months after that the 4th one stopped.

Rapport did handle it very quickly by sending me the motors with instructions on how to swop them out with only one e-mail which would make you think it is a regular occurance.With this new problem i have dropped it down to 3 stars.

Another Update: one of the replacement motors have now failed after only 6 months of use.It would seem there is a problem with the motors as i have e-mailed rapport and they now have a new brushless motor that they are fitting to the winders.Converting to this new type of motor requires it to be sent back to rapport , mine will be going next week for the upgrade.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality - rarely works properly and poor customer service, 1 Mar. 2012
I've had this for around 18 months now, and thought it was the ideal solution to keep my 4 watches wound.

For the first 3 months the winder was great, and performed exactly as expected. After that, one of the winders started to rotate slowly, and make a nasty grinding noise. I called Rapport, and they sent me a new motor, together with instructions on how to fit it. A few weeks later another motor went, and another replacement sent.
I called their service centre and returned it for a repair (I don't like paying this kind of money for a product, and having to get screwdrivers out to fix it). It returned working after.

After another short period, more motors started going. The watches wind very slowly, and the rotating parts make terrible grinding and squeaking noises. Again, you have to call up, and they don't even ask, they just send you more motors.

I've got so fed up with it (it's in my bedroom inside a cupboard, but the noise still keeps me awake at night!) that I've stopped using it. I've called the company, and written to their MD, but received a reply from Customer Services saying (you guessed it) ... "We'll send some more motors".

I wouldn't purchase a Rapport product again. Maybe I've just been unfortunate, but the poor quality of the constantly failing product coupled with Customer Service who don't seem to care makes this a very poor product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, gorgeous, pricey., 11 May 2011

The actual watch winder is so beautiful. Larger than I expected, but in a good way. It has a presence. There are two glass windows, which have a quality bevel on them. The glass is installed to a good standard- no gaps anywhere. Around the glass is brushed aluminium- feels nice.

The faux carbon fibre is quite convincing, and in my opinion looks nicer than the wood boxes that Rapport also do. The more modern look fits in better with my room.
Opening the watch winder is pretty easy, although there are no handles. With the two glass panels on the lid, it is a little heavy, but in a good way.

Now, the watch winding mechanism itself. I was surprised at how quiet these motors are! I'm glad I bought this one after reading reviews complaining about the noise from cheaper winders. I have this box right next to my bed (up top next to my head too), and I can barely hear them! Even with all four going. The heavy lid keeps in a lot of the noise- to hear the motors you have to open the lid and stick your head right next to the motors. It winds at a steady pace- doesn't jump or skip.

The 'brain' behind the winder is very clever- it knows the orientation from which it started. So, when it finishes a winding cycle, or you turn it off, it rotates back to the position where the watch is upright. It is really impressive when the winders stop and all your watches are facing up again. A feature like that is important for showing off your watches.

The functions will definitely fit most peoples needs- you can tell it to wind in one direction, or both. Most watches wind in both directions, so it's good to give both directions equal wear and usage.

There are two winding modes, one is purely for show. This winds for 1 minute, stops for 1 minute, then repeats the cycle. This would wind your watch WAY too much, Rapport specify it is just for show. At the moment I have two automatic watches, so the two lower bays have quartz watches on- they are using this show mode.
The useful winding mode is very complex. In case your watch is completely dead (unwound), the sequence starts by winding constantly for 2 hours. After that, it winds for half an hour every 3 hours- which keeps the watch wound but not too much or too little.

The 'pods' that the watch go on are made of leather, and hold the watch very nicely. The only downside of the pods is that there isn't much space behind the pod, for thick bands/bracelets and clasps. You have to use a mechanism on the front which brings the watch forward, so it doesn't go back so far. For large, thick watches, you have to set the pod quite far forward, which puts tension on the watch. Not too much, but it was worrying first time I configured it.

The big negative against this winder is obviously the price. I found it pretty hard to justify spending £650 on a watch winding box for four watches, when there are cheaper options around. It is very expensive, but to be honest, how much do you spend on four watches to go in here? They deserve something decent. And still, Amazon's price is considerably cheaper than the RRP.

I absolutely love this product, as you can probably tell from the review (hope I didn't go on too long). The build quality is fantastic, the materials used are great. The mechanics/electronics behind the winders are useful and super silent. I give this product 5 stars in spite of the price because I am just so happy with it.