on 25 March 2009
A good little device that I use with my iPod Classic. It's simple and easy to use, and looks pleasant enough. It certainly eats up a lot of your iPod battery power (though not quite so much now iPod software updates seem to have solved a problem where the backlight flicked on every 10secs or so when the Robi was attached) but otherwise I've had no problems with it at all. There is a bit too much cable, which is the stiffer type and not so easy to squeeze into your pocket, but I suppose this is useful if you were carrying your iPod in your bag.

One thing to note: when I first started using it (without reading the instructions I confess), I was bypassing the headphones that come with it and using the Sennheiser ones I use for my iPod, but I found I was losing the DAB signal quite a lot. It seems the provided headphones contain an integrated antenna which I didn't realise at the time, and since switching back all has been fine.
on 28 December 2007
This is a great little gadget and very simple to set up and use.It obtains loads of Dab radio stations with ease and is very clear.it`s small size is great and i would strongly recommend this item.Buy it if you want to turn your i-pod into Dab and love your music.Great !
on 4 April 2008
Good functionality. Good sound - so good I often use it for listening to the music on my iPod, the quality of sound through the Robi earphones is superior to those supplied by Apple.
The only downside is that you cannot use it at the same time as recharging the iPod.
on 26 June 2009
After reading some negative reveiws on the Rodi POD1 and the apple DAB radio, I took a chance and bought the Robi.
I could not be happier with the radio.
Sound quality and reception are excellent (Live in Cardiff) and the battery life isn't remarkably short at all. I bought mine to listen to commentary & sports news when going to the football next season, so was a bit concerned that the ipod would run out of oompf before the end of the game. However, I have run the unit for 2 hours in DAB mode from a full charge, and still had 1/2 - 3/4 battery life left.
on 30 April 2008
To any reading these reviews - there was a compatibility problem between the Robi and the Apple iPod Classic and 3G Nano models which appeared when Apple released version 1.1 of the iPod software for these models. Version 1.1.1 did not solve this. Version 1.1.2 released on 30th April 2008 does solve this, and the Robi now no longer turns off after two minutes. Thanks Apple! I can now listen for hours at at time. One minor new problem replaces that old one. If Robi is in DAB or FM mode and you use Robi to switch off your iPod, then you will generally need to use the iPod controls to switch back on again, and it may require a couple of On-Off cycles. No such problem if you switch off with Robi in Remote Control mode.

I note that one reviewer found very poor battery life using Robi on his Nano. I can only assume that his battery was already pretty worn out. I can get quite a few hours listening when powered from a 3G nano.
on 1 January 2008
If it seems too good to be true it normally is..................

I have been waiting for a device like this for ages but now it's come I am incredibly let down. I have an IPOD Nano and this Robi drains my battery in 50mins - What good is that?

I regularly commute by train but kill my battery on the way to work and have absolutely nothing to listen to on the way back - Without the Robi my Nano lasts the whole week and more.

I bought this Roberts product on the back of their reputation - Making and selling products like this will only lead one way - Disaster!!!!!

Please save yourself the hassle and the money and wait for a much better product to come along.
on 28 December 2007
I love this device. It works excellently - at last a radio that works while jogging, cycling, on the bus, train etc. I don't like having so much cable, altho it does allow you to put the
ipod somewhere secure and just use the remote. It costs a lot but you get a lot of functionality in return.
on 7 December 2010
I purchased this Roberts DAB because I have another larger Roberts DAB radio which is excellent and gives good reception. This one is is tiny and stylish but I found it very disappointing. Reception was very patchy and frequently non existent. I tried it at home and in the garden (where my other Roberts DAB works perfectly), out and about, in the car, and in shops. The cable to link it to the iPod was very stiff and inflexible making it awkward to wear. And the battery life was very poor - attached to my fully charged nano it lasted less than 2 hours with the Robi attached. I have since bought a different brand of mini portable DAB radio which performs very well in all areas.
on 5 July 2012
My old phone had a built in radio which I listened to every morning on my bike. My shiny new iphone however, will all its bells and whistles, has no radio built in, only some dreadful internet radio apps, which if your out and about using mobile internet are next to useless.
This little device solves that problem. Its very compact and does exactly as it promises, FM radio, DAB radio, and it also works as a controller for your music player, skipping, pausing etc.
People have complained about the battery life, but I dont think it drains your battery any more than listening to internet radio apps, and it does a proper job of it.
This is the first DAB radio I have owned and the quality is superb. You can switch back and forth between FM and DAB, and the only thing I keep asking myself is how have I managed to bear FM for so long.
If you have an iphone and want a radio to listen to on the move for a few hrs a day then this is the perfect device for you.
on 4 May 2011
This does seem like a good gadget, particularly as it has FM as well as DAB as that means I can get my local radio station but really I bought it for the DAB capabilities to be able to play 6 Music and also Radio Five extra when there is test match commentary on it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to pick up Radio Five extra at home, even though my main DAB radio can get it. I am keeping it because I still love it for FM and the other stations it can get on DAB. I am hoping that when I am actually at the test match the signal will be stronger then.

I have found the sound very clear but when I am using it while I'm gardening the signal keeps getting lost very briefly and that is rather irritating.

It works fine on my Ipod Touch 4th gen although it is not clear in the product details that it will - I read some earlier reviews and saw that some Touch users said it worked, so I'm guessing it would work on the Iphone too.

Overall I do like it but Radio 5 Extra being missing is a bit worrying although I'm not totally sure if that is the devices' fault or just the DAB system in general.

See one answered question