Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 February 2006
I must confess I had never heard of Davy Graham; before a chance hearing on Radio 2, not so long ago. Considering myself reasonably eclectic of taste, and also as well versed in popular music genres as most I was surprised to hear the eulogies of fellow folkies on various radio/tv shows for someone unknown to me. This guy I must hear I thought to myself. So several albums were purchased.
Ignorance is a terrible thing to admit, but reader ignorant I was. This Chap is as good as it gets. The album is a master musician at play. It was originally recorded in 1964 and I have never and I mean never heard anything like this man`s style. I believe the song titled "Anji" is considered his modus delecti (a bonus on this album), but This album contains several new favourites as well as reworkings of what are considered to be standards now. If you like early Clapton,when he was only an archangel,Alexis Korner, Cyril Davis, or Burt Jansch & Richard Thompson et al then you have to listen to this. Bluesy, Folky, it has tinges of Jazz & almost uniquely for the time,an eastern influence, years before George Harrison even plucked a sitar. Its arrangements and guitar style are borne of heaven. Breath taking stuff. I have played this to death. Some may find it derivative I suppose, but only because your terms of reference were derived from this guy in the first place.I love this and give it 5 of the best for no other reason. So there.
on 11 December 2006
This is a must;the original album from the back end of 1964,plus bonus Ep tracks from 1962 and 1963. I think the combined mint condition total of the 3 original vinyls is £300+, which tells you it's a bargain.

It lives up to its' title, as Davy Graham showcases the folk-blues open D tuning folk playing he'd been perfecting from 1959-62, turns in a little lounge jazz-blues and then whips off into Moroccan music as if he'd been playing that since age 5!

Words won't do justice to this & at this stage,Davy was a big enough cult name to do his own thing on a major label without worrying if it failed to sell a copy. Luckily it sold a few more than that, but not much more.

I strongly suggest you but this. It simply puts guitar playing on another planet and is akin to the advent of Jimi Hendrix to the electric guitar-everybody before and since is just a good or very good guitar picker. This man is simply, inhumanly the best.

And that's a view shared by my wife & 10 cats-which says something, as you know cats always have impeccable taste.
44 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 1999
First off, it's a scandal that this classic album isn't festooned with appreciative reviews - why should it wait for a strummer on an island off Seattle to pay homage to this seminal work? Ask any of them from back in the days of The Troubadour or Les Cousins - Bert, John, Hamish, Diz, Ralph, Roy, Al - they'll tell you Davy was right out there ahead of us and showing the way. And this is the album, next to Bert's first and the classic 'Bert and John', that we all had. The man is *the* consummate guitarist and accompanist with perhaps the dullest voice in Christendom, but who cares when it's dishing up 'Cocaine' and 'Cannot keep from crying'. As for the instrumentals, listen to 'Maajun' and 'Moanin' and listen to timeless genius. On the other hand, if you want to hear a version of Dylan's "Don't think twice" almost laughably lacking in soul and taken at *the* wrong pace, then Davey's also your man. I beseech you to give this album a listen and in one swoop put so much of what's being played today in salutary perspective. And you guitarists out there who fancy yourselves as having an opinion - get in here and pay homage to the master! It's good to see these albums in CD and available to a whole new market.
on 11 February 2009
The combined value of the original vinyls here(original album, London Hootenany & 3/4 AD EPS) is over £400, which tells you something!

However, listening to it will tell you something else-just how flaming good Davy Graham was and is. Within a minute of the opening track, he lets that famous open D tuning go on the guitar and that's it-you will be gone with it!

Even as early as 1964, there is World Music influences in here with the blues, folk-blues, lounge jazz, folk and everything else. It's extraordinarily GREAT!

This is an album you will never tire of-Davy Graham doesn't have a perfect singing voice, but that said, his voice has an edge, an grittiness and a charm all its' own, and it's perfect as an adornment to THAT guitar playing.

How good a guitar player? Well, every one since Jimi Hendrix on electric guitar has been, at best, very good. And everyone since Davy on acoustic, even Bert Jansch, Al Stewart & Robin Williamson, have been, at best, brilliant.

Davy & Jimi remain completely and inhumanly the best in their respective spheres. It's no surprise you get taken to so many different musical worlds on this & other Davy Graham albums-his guitar playing is just simply from another world together.

Now stop reading this and buy the album-this is a darn good review, but, believe me, the album is 10,000 times better!
on 8 March 2014
7 Ballad Of The Sad Young Men
3:10
8 Moanin'
2:30
9 Skillet (Good 'N' Greasy)
2:27
20 Davy's Train Blues
3:00
21 3⁄4 AD
4:39
I would like to humbly apologise to (a) Davy Graham and (b) my entire group of friends (both of them, well, OK, just Pavel then) for not having bought (and raved about) this recording until this week (after seeing the repeat of the wonderful BBC's "Folk Britannica".
If you are a fan of almost any acoustic guitarist in the past 40 years - Roy Harper, Al Stewart, Paul Simon, Jimmy Page, Richard Thompson, Eric Clapton, [insert name of guitar hero here], then you should, no, MUST have this in your collection.

Stunning technique, amazing invention, exotic combinations - all the jazz, folk, blues and world music radiates from here. What a waste of 40 years, listening to copies (however excellent) of this master.

Now... what else has Amazon got to offer? Ah! "Large as Life and Twice and Natural" - sounds interesting, and what's this... backed by who? Jon Hiseman and Dick Heckstall-Smith and Danny Thompson...? That makes a lot of sense - the ultimate jazz-rock group (Colosseum) with the ultimate folk bass-player... bring it on!
on 31 October 2007
Thirty five years ago I was introduced to the music of "Davy Graham", the album Folk Blues and Beyond and his masterpiece Anji are long time favourites of mine. The digitally remastered CDs are a must have for all "Davey Fans"
I saw Davey live at the Sage Gateshead on monday 29th October he was a treat to watch, speaking to him after the concert was like meeting an old friend.
His new album is available soon I have ordered mine don't miss out get yours now, and see him live if you can.

Peace
Terry Marshall
on 7 March 2011
I first met Davy at Les Cousins (in Soho, London) in 1968 - I was already an admirer of his music having bought the vinyl of this album the previous year. Heard live and watching his technique, his guitar playing was even more impressive with its originality and diverse influences. But now this record of his innovative music which virtually started the new wave of british folk blues is the only witness to that time, allowing the listener to understand what inspired a generation of guitarists including Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, Paul Simon, Mike Oldfield and countless others. It includes the classic guitar tune "Anji" which we all learned to play in our own ways. Stefan Grossman, the american guitarist with an unusual ragtime style was also a regular at Les Cousins and has produced a book+CD about this musical development British Fingerpicking Guitar [With CD] but enthusiasts should not miss the opportunity to go back and hear the original source.
on 28 February 2012
for all the folk who grew up trying to play "anji" and who saw Davy at his best-
thanks to the people who released this on cd. my vinyll copy vanished long ago
in edinburgh so to get this and hear again such original ideas - well - too much!
so many influences meld together blues, jazz, folk and arabic- this guy brought us
dadgad tuning - listen and learn!
on 25 August 2012
Davy graham's guitar playing has blown me away. Folk, Blues and Beyond by Davy Graham is a wonderful exotic mix, I've been playing guitar since I was 15 (27 years!) - how he managed to play like that I'll never know and that is what makes this album so special - buy it, stick it in the stereo, close your eyes, settle back and enjoy.