Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 April 2008
I got this album for christmas and I would be willing to say that it's my favourite album of all time. Alicia has an incredible voice and each song is beautiful. If you listen to the lyrics you can appreciate that there is genuine emotion and thought behind each song and wahey - she actully writes her own music!! Alicia is also a very talented pianist. The album takes you on a journey - through the beginning of a relationship, breaking up and finding the strength again to go on. Hard to say which song to skip to, by superwoman is incredible - gives me shivers everytime I listen to it. 'Lesson learned' and 'teenage love affair' are also standout tracks. Girls, this album and chocolate is definately a cure for any man troubles!! Buy this album!! You will not regret it.
on 19 June 2008
13. Tell You Something. 9/10
14. Sure Looks Good To Me. 9/10
15. Waiting For Your Love. 7/10

OVERALL GRADE: 10/10
You can't really compare the 3 AK albums as their different.

Songs In A Minor = Classical
The Diary of Alicia Keys = Street
As I Am = Old Soul/Be-Bop/Old Skool-Jazz
on 21 November 2007
This album is different to Alicia's previous albums but it isn't worse, it's just as powerful and affecting but it's quieter. It's more experimental, there seems to be more variety in the way she uses her voice, the instrumentation and the musical influences seem more diverse but as an Alicia Keys fan I am overjoyed to finally have this cd.

When I first listened to 'As I Am' I was surprised at the number of quieter 'ballad' tracks but it's growing on me and I can see a lot of familiar elements here that I loved in the other recordings, e.g., 'Teenage Love Affair' has a blissful retro summery feel that takes me back to 'You Don't Know My Name' and 'Go Ahead' has a similar driving power to the first couple of tracks on 'The Diary'. Also there are several tracks on here that almost immediately moved me to tears, really well crafted love songs and I could easily compare 'Tell You Something' to the special effect 'If I Ain't Got You' always had on me.

I'm not trying to say that this album is the same as the previous recordings because it isn't, if I wasn't already writing this review after 1 day of owning the cd I'd say it's more of a slow-burn album. To me it has a more profound happiness and a lot of love and a little less thunder about it. I'm happy with the differences and glad to have the things that haven't changed - great songs, fantastic vocals and beautiful piano. To me it's a good sign, artists that change stick around.
on 5 December 2007
Now first of all, I'll admit I've never really been a Alisha Keys fan... yes she has certainly dropped some memorable tracks in the past, but I just never felt completely at ease with her airy husky style. That's all changed now with the release of probably one of the finest CDs in R&B (even Nu Soul) history. This really is a masterpiece and an achievement not normally possible for the more mainstream artist these days.

Every single track oozes heart, love and emotion. Alisha touches her audience in a way Jill Scott managed several years ago, but at the same time she engages all with up-tempo beats and a sound that's so completely original its hard to draw parallels with other current releases.

This is a must have for anyone's collection. It's a golden 5 Star effort and a future classic. Well done Alisha.
on 12 December 2007
Alicia Keys has created something spectacularly honest, raw and beautiful with this album. It's obvious her heart and soul has gone into telling her story in a way that really hits home with people. The vocals are so spine tingling and soul shaking! Do not miss 'Teenage Love Affair', 'Like You'll Never See Me Again', 'Wreckless Love' and 'Where Do We Go From Here'. An absolute masterpiece! An absolute genius!
VINE VOICEon 25 November 2007
This is a very good album, which showcases Alicia Keys' talent and vocally it stretches her to her limits (and occasionaly too far!)
1.As I Am-I'm not a fan of instrumental tracks, however even I can appreciate the brilliance of this song. 9/10
2.Go Ahead-A great uptempo start to the album. 7/10
7.Wreckless Love-More of an uptempo song. 8/10
8.The Thing About Love-Very enjoyable ballad. 8/10
9.Teenage Love Affair-I think this is great, very well written. 9/10
10.I Need You-Superb ballad. 8/10
11.Where Do We Go From Here-This is vocally a bit screechy and draining to listen to. 5/10
12.Prelude To A Kiss-Beautiful. 9/10
13.Tell You Something-A bit forgettable. 7/10
14.Sure Looks Good To Me-A gentle end to the album. 6/10
15[BONUS]: Waiting For Your Love-The most uptempo track of the album, but a bit of a mess. 6/10
on 22 December 2007
This album is pure class and, unlike the other albums which grew on me, I have fallen in love with this album straight away.
Like the other albums though Alicia's voice is the prime focus and her soulful delivery just knocks spots off all her competitors and, unlike her competitors, the lyrics actually mean something and are sometimes overwhelming in their power.
As for my favourite songs - well, I really like No One but Sure Looks Good To Me is the song that really carries the "WOW!" factor so be sure to get that one if no other.
on 27 January 2008
I fell in love with Alicia Keys when i first listened to 'The Diary Of Alicia Keys', i listened to it on a personal CD player on a coach a few years back, it captured me in every way, i played it so many times, i hated having to take it back to the library where i'd rented it (of course i now own it). Today it still remains as one of my few favorite albums of all time. If i was to say this new album 'As I Am' was better than the last two i'd be lying because you're compairing three completely different albums. Each one has something different to offer. Its very instrument driven, that's one of the things i like about it, by not using the synthesizes so much it makes the sound more pure. I rushed out to get this album on the day of its release and for very good reason. I'm not disappointed at all, its a refreshing take on modern R&B that was beginning to all sound the same. I could not nitpick individual tracks for my favorites, because i consider the album as a whole package. Alicia Keys has opened up new directions and possibility's of a deteriorating genre. This album has been a long time coming.
on 5 December 2007
I assume I'm one of the few people who didn't like "Songs in A Minor". There were one or two songs I liked but as a whole it didn't appeal to me. "The Diary of Alicia Keys" made me sit up and listen, on the strength of that album I got "As I Am" and it doesn't disappoint.

There are elements that are retro, there are lines that will remind you of other songs and artists (Stevie Wonder's and Burt Bacharach's music came to mind) and there are bits you'll just sing along to. I wasn't too impressed when I first heard "No One", but having listened to it in the context of the rest of the album I gained a new appreciation of it. It's an album full of good songs: ones that stand out to me are "Like You'll Never See Me Again", "Wreckless Love", and "Tell You Something".

Maybe the best approach is to appreciate each of Alicia Keys albums as is. Listen to this album, expect it to differ from previous offerings and try not to compare it too much to her previous albums because they are each different - which is not a bad thing because no one knows what to expect as her fourth album!
This is my first taste of Alicia Keys and I like it. Most of the music I buy is female r&b but in these tighter times I have to be quite choosey who I spend my limited funds on for musical entertainment, safe to report that I don't regret this purchase for one moment. I didn't expect to of course, having seen her perform live and I always prefer singers who write their own music - although most of the songs were part-written by Alicia with the assistance of others (Mark Batson, Kerry Brothers, Marsha Ambrosius, Linda Perry, Steve Mostyn, John Mayer and several others). She puts her heart and soul into everything on the album, not surprising given that she executive produced it too. All in all a great achievement for this 26 year old native New Yorker born and raised in Hell's Kitchen, she has tremendous songwriting and singing talent but judging from the film 'Smokin Aces' I'm not sure that her acting skills are in quite the same league! This is a great album though and it won't be long before I add Diary of Alicia Keys, by all accounts it's just as good if not better.