on 26 August 2012
James Hyde, who has spent most of his life being a dutiful & hard-working son, finally retires and sells his business, intending to have a more interesting time than he had been allowed to have while he was working for his domineering father. Just as he is starting to come to the conclusion that he is doomed to continue in much the same boring way of life that he had become used to, he gets talking accidentally to a man in a restaurant who bears a strong resemblance to him. Hugh Selkirk's life, however, has been anything but boring & he bets Hyde that they could change places for a fortnight without anyone noticing.

That was as far as I got when I started reading this many years ago, but had to take it back to the library unfinished. I had really enjoyed (and been highly intrigued by) the couple of chapters I had managed to read all those years ago, I was looking forward to finding out what happened next, but was a little worried - would it still seem as good as it had when I was a student?

This is one of Manning Coles' best books. It features Tommy Hambledon, although he is not the main character, and manages to be both thrilling and (intermittently) hilarious.

So was it as good as I had hoped? The answer, of course was a resounding 'Yes'.
on 26 September 2009
I have been searching for this book for years as it was a favourite of my mother's. She is delighted to reread it. The book was in reasonable condition for its age - she said it could have been the copy she used to have!