on 3 August 2010
I've been working in a laptop repair shop and I have my own laptop repair business. We've been using various lower-grade heating paste products at work, but we have switched to MX-2, and it surely makes the difference.

I've been always using Arctic Silver AS5 for my own business, but due to cost-reasons, I've decided to try this paste instead, as AS5 comes only in 3g package and is much more expensive. Honestly, there's barely any difference between those two, judging by 3 months of use on my own PC's and on a couple of customer's machines. Considering the price difference, I'm going to stick to MX-2.
on 20 January 2014
This is pretty good stuff. I had to use some generic white thermal compound while re-building my PC as I couldn't find my tube of trusty Arctic Silver 5. I thought it wouldn't be doing as good a job as some decent stuff, so I ordered this which came in a large 8g tube for less than 3.5g of AS5. 8g is enough for many CPU installations. I did my research and saw it's been reviewed professionally as being better than AS5 on a number of sites.

While brand of thermal paste shouldn't make a huge difference (as long as you use something) it was immediately obvious that this had dropped CPU temperatures by about 5 degrees across the load range, compared to the generic paste. It might not sound like I lot, but I say if you notice a huge drop in CPU temperature just from changing paste, chances are what was on there before wasn't installed properly (or it had dried out as they can do with time).

Installation is easy. I put a small vertical line of MX-2 on my Core i5 and tightened down the heatsink. The pressure will distribute it to the right places, so there's no need to spread it across the surface of the CPU.
on 24 February 2015
There are many different types of thermal paste out there, each one battling for every 0.1 degree celsius in heat dissappation, so I'd recommend reading some reviews before choosing one because sometimes paying more does not automatically equate to a better product.

I went for the Artic MX2 because it strikes a good balance between performance, price and quality, and its suits my intended application on Playstation 3 and AMD chipsets.
review image
on 14 June 2014
Having read reviews of MX-2 I decided to change from my regular paste. I can't say I've been blown away. It's a tad watery for my preference. I like a thicker paste. My concern was related ot the packaging. The product label on the syringe was just printed on normal paper, wrapped around the syringe and secured with a bit of cellotape. So I'm not sure if the seller has sent me a dodgey product but I find it hard to believe that this is normal packaging for this product. Maybe others can verify.
on 13 September 2013
Using this on my HP pavilion dv6 laptop which is infamous for having terrible heat dissipation. Lowered my temps by 15 degrees on idle, and about 10 on full load.
on 9 March 2014
In a short summary this stuff is brilliant. Used this on my overheating laptop which had terrible temperatures on idle, full load was a different story. I had around 70C Idle and shutting off when doing light/medium tasks. This is bad for the CPU for it to be shutting off frequently so I ordered this. The appliance of this product was easy, the quality of packaging it comes in is very high quality. Once completed I've been able to get 50C constantly, this is browsing the web and doing some heavy intensive programs. If I leave the laptop idling now its 45C, what a huge difference!
A couple pros to this product is that it has no conductive particales meaning if it spills onto the motherboard it wont cause any damage, this product will have a 8 year life span as well, Once youve used this product theres no worries for a while again!
on 28 September 2015
I have a laptop that had been rather neglected and was overheating badly. Doesn't help that it's also my main machine for freelance work... and I paid the price when it locked up while gaming and corrupted Windows beyond repair.

Bit the bullet, got this stuff ordered in and took it apart, cleaned the heatsink and fan and reapplied a pea-sized blob of this to the center of the CPU and GPU cores. The difference is night and day! The machine is quiet again, rock solid, and temperatures on both the CPU and GPU don't get above 60 degrees C even after extended gaming sessions.

Well chuffed with the results, and can't see any compelling reason to pay more for other pastes. There's enough in the tube to last for plenty of applications, too!
on 15 December 2014
I have used several different brand's of Thermal Compound previously, many of which left much to be desired & some of which were extremely difficult to apply due to the consistency of the paste itself. I am however pleased to say that Arctic Thermal Compound is not one of these, as in addition to being good value, I had no problems with application and was able to apply a pea sized amount exactly where it needed to be, as opposed to making a mess. Once I re-assembled my laptop, the impact was instantaneous, running much cooler and in turn ensuring that the laptop's cooling fan, which had previously been on constantly, was running far less frequently. In short, a competitively priced, good all round mid-range compound.
on 7 July 2013
Somehow the clip holding the fan onto the Intel chip in my friend's PC had come detached. I used surgical spirit to clean up the surfaces of both the chip and the fan and used the syringe to squeeze one blob of the MX-2 thermal paste onto the chip.
The only difficulty I had was in refitting the fan back onto the chip but that's not the fault of the paste. Even without paste it requires more pressure to re-fit the clip than I expected.

The paste came sealed in its plastic packaging and there's plenty more left in the syringe. It was depatched and arrived promptly
on 24 January 2015
Genuinely gobsmacked at how amazing this paste is! I have an XFX 7870 Tahiti Le that was hitting 103 degrees C while playing games like crysis 3 and Battlefield 4, so decided to open that bad boy up and clean it up a little. Bought this paste, cleaned the dried concrete that was used as thermal paste by xfx and used this stuff on it. Was told that it was just a hot card and changing the TIM won't help anything, turns out it reduced temps to 70 degrees MAX while on Crysis 3 and have yet to try BF4! Great purchase that's given new life to my good ol' 7870 xt!