5.0 out of 5 stars Good sounds
They keep on coming as with all these albums you get quite a few tracks you don't want/like but none the less a good CD with good music with the advent of downloads perhaps the life of these compilation albums is limited.!!??
Published 5 months ago by Phil

The TV advert appeared for this album the other day. The narrator stated..

"Remember why you loved Ministry of Sound..."

Published on 22 Nov 2007 by Picard

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Same old stuff in exhaustive box set. Ministry of Sound 'classics' volume 999......, 22 Nov 2007
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ministry of Sound Anthems (Audio CD)
The TV advert appeared for this album the other day. The narrator stated..

"Remember why you loved Ministry of Sound..."

I had to think for a minute. And then said to myself "Yes I do. I loved it for the club it was in the early 90's, and 2 amazing leather-backed albums in 1995 and 1996". However, only about 10% of this album represents the club, and any house themed session that was "how we all remembered it".

I guess in a way I'm arguing against a losing battle that brands like MoS are winning - its Christmas time, so lets cash in from the teens and make them think 'this is how it was'. Now surely an album that claims to 'make us remember' why we loved it back in the day would have the tracks we all lost it to and the dance floor. In all my experience of Friday and Saturday nights early in the morning, I've never had the embarrassment of hearing a DJ drop "Sandstorm - Darude" (after 1999, that is....) and to even call 'It Just Won't Do' or 'Lazy' anthems is pathetic. The DJ would be egged!

What actually makes this album different from any other this year? Or the past 5 years for that matter? MoS released 'Trance Nation Classics' a few months ago... the track-listing un-surprisingly familiar. Do I even need to mention the "usual suspects" that have been worn out?

9pm - ATB
Sandstorm - Darude
Saltwater - Chicane
Born Slippy - Underworld

I don't even see how they can put a song like 'Born Slippy' onto a modern day album. No-body of a young generation will understand or appreciate it - it was released in a time when taking an E or Acid was perfectly normal, and the fantastically worked lyrics show what went through the mind of someone in a tube going home from a club. These days, clubbing is a place to be seen, and no-longer for the working classes (unless their mummy's and daddy's spoil them rotten so they can drown themselves with 'shots'...)

I'm not kill joy, and i'm not a bad egg. I just happend to know what 'real' dance music sounds like, and what 'anthems' actually take people back. That's why I DJ on certain nights mid-week purely for those anthems that we all lost it to. I'll end this review on what a quality anthems album would be. Don't recognise the tracks? If you were never there, you probably won't - they're not commercial, like the worn out rubbish on this album. And they're not cut to 2 minutes 30 seconds long.....

CD1 - 1990>1995

1. Xpansions - Move Your Body
2. Faith (in the power of love - Rozalla
3. Perfect Motion - Sunscreem
4. Heart on the line - (forgot the artist sorry!)
5. Hold that sucker down - OT Quartlet
6. House Stompin - Bump
7. Stay - Isha D
8. Real Thing - Tony Di Vart
9. Bladerunner - Magic Fly
10. Not Over Yet - Grace (Ministry got that one right, shame its on every classics album though)
11. Go - Moby

5. The lover that you are - Anette Robinson
6. Get Up! Go Insane! - Stretch and Vern
7. Anytime - Nubirth
8. Spin Spin Sugar - Sneaker Pimps
9. Cafe del Mar - Energy 52 (Ok, I know it's been milked, but still goes down a bomb in places!)
10. Ajare - Way out west
11. Club Lonely - Sam Ellis
12. Always - Tin Tin Out
13. Only Me - Hyperlogic
14. Voodoo Ray - Guy called gerald

No 3rd disc for my album either! Anyway, thats my rant over with, but if you want the 'real' anthems, I suggest you buy another album. The following albums are not deleted yet, and are still being sold on ebay.

> Cream Live vol.1
> Cream Anthems (vol.1)

But if you want to pay a slight bit more, here's a few albums that are worth their weight in gold...

> Ministry of Sound- The Annual 1
> "" ""- The Annual II (went platinum twice over it was that popular! Biggest ever selling dance album)
> Renaissance: The Mix Collection volumes 1 and 2
> Northern Exposure

I'd hate feeling I just got home after work, and wrote this all for no reason. All I ask is that you think about one thing. What makes this album stand out, in any way? I'm merely saying all this through the eyes of someone who has experience - whether you choose to be sucked into a glut of 'believing' classics albums are real or not is your own choice, just don't rate this a bad review because I sound cynical. You'd only be denying the truth...

2.0 out of 5 stars Naff, 19 Feb 2008
This review is from: Ministry of Sound Anthems (Audio CD)
I have to aggree with most of the others, Most of the songs are good all round classics but its jst not any different to the albums they have released in the past.
Its not worth the money as if you look hard enough in your CD collection you probably have them all already

2.0 out of 5 stars Yo Ministry time to change the tunes man!, 17 Feb 2008
This review is from: Ministry of Sound Anthems (Audio CD)
What is it with Ministry of Sound that every time they release an anthem it has got nearly the same type of tracks on it as the one they realest the last time? I'm not for one minute saying that the dance music on this CD is bad, but all I am saying is that I think it's about time Ministry of Sound produced something different IE used different tracks with there Anthems instead of just releasing the same tracks but in a different fancy box just to make money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Same old content!, 10 Dec 2007
P. Mallorie (Ingerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ministry of Sound Anthems (Audio CD)
All of these tracks have been released numerous times by MoS in classics CDs and although they are mostly good tracks they cant just keep releasing similar products with only different names and covers. Mos know they have market monopoly and know that whatever they put together will sell so they do not need to bother. To put simplym just by a different compilation album such as Trance nation vol. 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sounds, 17 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars cant beat the old stuff!, 7 Jun 2012
Mrs. L. Cliffe "Lisa" (England Stoke-On-Trent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ministry of Sound Anthems (Audio CD)
Great classics that are way better than todays rubbish! (i have these tunes already yes but on various albums so nice to have some good uns in the same place)
BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved all the old tunes, 7 Feb 2012
Duckju (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ministry of Sound Anthems (Audio CD)
Loved listening to all the old tunes,it put all the tunes on 3 discs which replaces a lot of music that I had lost... as lets face it, it's better than most of today's dance music....Great for exercises, walking or knocking down an outhouse....very energising...

4.0 out of 5 stars anthems 1991-2008, 12 Jan 2012
This review is from: Ministry of Sound Anthems (Audio CD)
i brough this because i listen to a cd of my friends an its a good product to dance fans new and old recomended buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album for the summer!!, 28 Mar 2011
This review is from: Ministry of Sound Anthems (Audio CD)
These songs are perfect for during the summer, as they are very lively! I have many favourites, although some of the others sound a bit repetitive. Would recommend to everyone!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Anthems II, 4 Feb 2009
This review is from: Ministry of Sound Anthems (Audio CD)
A good cd with some tunes to keep you going but if you are looking for the "big anthems" then get disc II.

Still good for the gym :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Ministry of Sound Anthems
Ministry of Sound Anthems by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2007)