5.0 out of 5 stars Great song selection, recorded in the usual style, 6 Sept. 2009
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Songs Of Love And Laughter (Audio CD)
After a series of 40-track double albums that combined plenty of re-released recordings with some newly-recorded tracks, this particular 40-track double album came as a surprise, as it is made up entirely of newly recorded music. As ever, many of the songs are famous and come from a variety of sources including folk, pop, country and Irish. While there are plenty of famous songs here, there are plenty that aren't.

Taking the familiar pop songs first, you'll find a couple of Buddy Holly covers (True love ways, It doesn't matter anymore), two songs recorded by the Everly brothers (All I have to do is dream, Let it be me), two songs recorded by Elvis Presley (I just can't help believing, A fool such as I), a Matt Monro cover (Portrait of my love), a Don McLean cover (And I love you so) and a Solomon King cover (She wears my ring). Less familiar is Oldest swinger in town, with which Fred Wedlock had an unlikely British top ten hit in 1981. I suspect that it may be very appropriate for Foster and Allen at this stage in their career

Country music fans may recognize Little old wine drinker me, Help me make it through the night, I guess I'm crazy, Blue side of lonesome, Crying my heart out over you, Ring of fire, He stopped loving her today and Don't let me cross over. Jim Reeves recorded several of these songs, though he wasn't necessarily the original artist in each case. Foster and Allen show their Irish roots by including such songs as When you were sweet sixteen, Gentle mother, Delaney's donkey and Daniel O'Connell.

Based on the title alone, I didn't recognize Seven old ladies. Actually, it is a (spoof?) version of Oh dear what can the matter be. Listening to the lyrics of Seven old ladies, it occurs to me that if the story were true and occurred now, there would be a public outcry. As it is, the song is not treated seriously. I have long accepted that songs are a product of their times and should be treated as such, but the politically correct brigade may not find this song funny. (In the standard version of Oh dear what can the matter be, there is no mention of seven old ladies, as the lyrics concern themselves with Johnny not coming back from the fair, so there's no controversy there.)

As I said earlier, this collection also includes some delightful obscurities. Among them are Love is pleasing, Maria's heading out to California, If I were a blackbird, The winning dream, Lassie come and dance with me, Candle and wine and Life in the old dog yet.

Foster and Allen's dedicated fans probably bought this when it first came out. Having bought and enjoyed several of their albums, I would say that although I love all their music, this is one of their most interesting collections, if only because the material is generally less obvious than usual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Foster and Allen - Songs of Love and Laughter, 27 Nov. 2007
Mr. J. Vick (Market Harborough, Leics United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs Of Love And Laughter (Audio CD)
I Have Just Braught THe New Foster And Allen C.D - Songs Of Love and Laughter which was only released yesterday. I braught it From WH Smiths in Market Harborough. It cost £10.99. It is a really good C.D. It has got some funny songs on it. The Foster and Allen C.D - Songs Of Love and Laughter is a Dubble C.D. I really like this C.D. I give it 10/10.

It is out in the Shops now.

Brilliant Album.

Jeremy Vick

5.0 out of 5 stars uplifting and inspiring songs, 8 May 2012
There's an old song called Delaneys donkey that will make you laugh out loud. Also the song the oldest swinger in town which will make you laugh.the song about 7 old ladies that got locked in the lavatory will make you laugh and smile. these three in particular cheer me up if i'm feeling a bit down. There are so many good songs to listen to, you could play the album when having a party.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oldest Swinger in Town, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Songs Of Love And Laughter (Audio CD)
Can't understand why this is the only CD I could find with the track "Oldest Swinger In Town" on, can't find it anywhere by the original artist [Fred Wedlock]. Several of the other tracks are great listening.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mix of music, 15 Feb. 2013
N. DRAKE - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs Of Love And Laughter (Audio CD)
Unlike some artistes, Foster and Allen deliver a good entertainment experience
on each CD so if you enjoy a mix of styles, try this one for size.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun music, 20 Jan. 2013
Mrs. L. M. Hobbs (Birmingham. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs Of Love And Laughter (Audio CD)
Great music to listen to when you are in need of a pick me up. Good old fashioned entertainment. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irish Sentimentality, 30 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Songs Of Love And Laughter (Audio CD)
Mother loved Foster and Allen. She knew all the words and enjoyed singing along.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh what a hoot, 16 Jun. 2013
Geoffrey Rex Hill "Cowboy" (Johannesburg, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs Of Love And Laughter (Audio CD)
Very funny songs by one of the most creative duos in history. Surprisingly they have not dated, but remain fresh and original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun all round!, 16 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Songs Of Love And Laughter (Audio CD)
Two outstanding performers who bring laughter into your life with their crazy lyrics etc!! You fall about with their humour!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Songs Of Love And Laughter (Audio CD)
CD is of excellent quality although used? it's like new

Songs Of Love And Laughter
Songs Of Love And Laughter by Foster & Allen (Audio CD - 2007)