5.0 out of 5 stars No need to ask forgiveness., 16 Dec 2007
This review is from: Ask Forgiveness (Audio CD)
This is a collection of 7 cover versions and one original Bonnie track (track #5). With a 30 minute running time it's more of a short LP than a single or EP.

Will Oldham churns out a helluva lot of material, some of it is not too good but there are always some real gems on each CD. 'Ask Forgiveness' is no exception, though there are no real duff tracks on this CD. Tracks #2 (a Bjork cover) & #3 (a Danzig cover) are probably the weakest. The outstanding tracks as far as I'm concerned are #1 (I Came Here to Hear the Music), #4 the Phil Ochs cover (My Life) and the R. Kelly cover #8 (The World's Greatest) which is just beautiful. I'm not sure what he does with his cover versions but he seems to be able to extract the essence of any song and completely re-work it with the result that he could claim the song as his own.

If, like me, you were a bit disappointed with Will Oldham's last batch of cover versions, 'The Brave and the Bold' then have no fear, this CD certainly makes up for it. It's well worth 8 (just 1 per track!). If you're a Bonnie fan then I'd recommend you get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy is well and truly back, 20 Nov 2007
This review is from: Ask Forgiveness (Audio CD)
Having just listened to this through for the first time, I can upon first hearing say that it is definately a return to excellency by Mr. Will Oldham. His latest EP under the "Bonnie Prince" moniker is a collection of eight songs, seven covers and one Billy original. The tracks that have so far stood out to me have been "I came to hear the music", penned by Mickey Newbury, and the Frank Sinatra cover "cycles".

They are simple comositions, in comparison to his previous LP "The Letting Go", but of course, Will is never one to be accused of repetition. Think a more up-beat "Master and Everyone". Well worth the 7 you'll spend on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars His best since 'I See A Darkness', 26 Dec 2007
D Belbin (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ask Forgiveness (Audio CD)
Picked this up in a record shop, on spec, and have been blown away by how good it is. This could end up being my most played BPB recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars Naming miss-hap, 14 Nov 2007
Paul E. Gault "peggy dub" (Dundee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ask Forgiveness (Audio CD)
Amazon, you appear to have the wrong listing for this item. His name is Bonnie 'Prince' Billy not Charlie! what's going on? I haven't heard the record yet so I can't really say if it's a goer but I bet it's good all the same. We saw him in Perth last year and he was just brilliant.

Ask Forgiveness
Ask Forgiveness by Bonnie Prince Billy (Audio CD - 2007)