5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the PC version
I have been using Microsoft Office for some years now, both on PC's (in the office) and on Mac's (in the studio and at home).

Published on 3 Oct 2010 by MR P J FAIRWEATHER

3.0 out of 5 stars Much better than 2004
If used Office for Mac for many years now, working on old System 9 and jumping straight into OS X with Office X. Overall the OS X versions of Office have been good but not great, with Entourage stealing the show.

Published on 26 Feb 2009 by Glezza

3.0 out of 5 stars Much better than 2004, 26 Feb 2009
Glezza (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Office 2008 for Mac, Standard Edition, Full Version (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Office 2008, is feeling like a much more mature effort, and on a daily basis the suite is much more stable in both Leopard & Tiger. Word does everything you could ever want a Word Processor to do and more, if anything it does a bit too much, but this release has simplified the look and I have found it a much more Mac like product.

Excel is simply the best spreadsheet program on the Mac bar none, Numbers may be good, but if you ever need to crunch a lot of numbers, this is the product to go for, there is competition out there that very nearly does everything that Excel does, and they are a lot cheaper, so it's worth having a play with them before you pay up, but I don't think that they are anywhere near as good.

Entourage for Mac 2008 is simply brilliant, it does so much more than simply send and receive email, you have your address book, calendar, to do list, notes and a project centre, I like the addition of the mini calendar in the main email window. For those that have to pick up work email, exchange services will be a boon, as long as the company they work for is up to date with the server side.

Powerpoint, is the weakest product really, Apple's KeyNote offers a lot more and can even save as Powerpoint compatible. Powerpoint really needs a rethink, this product is really dragging the whole package down!

Finally where is the Database application? If Microsoft do not want to bother making one, why not bundle FileMaker? It's compatible with Office and would make the product a 4/5 star rating!

Overall I'd mark Office 2008 like this:
Word - 4
Excel - 5
Powerpoint - 2
Entourage - 5
No Database - 0

Overall - 3.2

I haven't rated Messenger as it it is free anyway.

Nice effort, and I would have liked to give this a 4, but Powerpoint and no Database let the package down badly, but if you need it get it you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the PC version, 3 Oct 2010
MR P J FAIRWEATHER (Ayrshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

It is a very good product as everybody knows, but funnily enough in the last few years the Mac version has become far superior to the PC version. There are no glitches or illogical processes to follow on the Mac version and I have even heard one die-hard Microsoft/PC fan talking of giving up on Office 2007 altogether and thinking about converting to a Mac because of it.

I have been well pleased with Office 2008 on my Mac and it does most everything that I need despite being a Microsoft product (lol).

4.0 out of 5 stars Much improved, 21 Jan 2009
M. D. Harris (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having been a long suffering user of MS Office on the Mac for a good few years now I was keen see whether this new version would be any less frustrating to use. I'm pleased to say it is. In fact, for me at least, it's a huge improvement.

To be honest I approached Office:Mac 2008 with some trepidation and a degree of hostility. My experience of Microsoft products, particularly those on the Mac has not been good and I half expected it to crash during installation and take my iMac with it. Fortunately the install proved to be event free, as was the automated update process - a 280mb download!

As for the software itself, everything has been given a polish in both aesthetic and usability terms. The interface looks more unified and things you need are placed more logically. Word and Excel don't seem hugely different to me, but I only really use them in quite a basic way so I've probably not spotted most of the changes. Other folks have complained the Excel is missing features, but it doesn't seem to have affected any of my files. PowerPoint on the other hand has come on in leaps and bounds - finally templates that I may consider using, an align/distribute tool where you'd expect it, auto guides and palettes that remain opaque - small things can make a big difference. The ability to use .wmv movie files is a big plus too.

Overall I found Office:Mac 2008 to be stable (no crashes so far) and a lot quicker on my intel iMac than Office 2004. It's not perfect and some of the improvements should have been in there all along, but at least now I don't shudder at the thought of using it. Much improved.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slower, slightly than 2004, but an improvement never the less, 20 Jan 2009
The Penguin "JH" (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The "full" version of Microsoft Office for Mac shows that the demons of Redmond can play nicely with the Angels of Cupertino. Owners of Macs may dearly want to love iWork and use it exclusively, but the preponderance of PCs in the world make ownership of Word, Excel and Powerpoint a must for those who don't want any nasty surprises when the file is shared with the PC dwelling world.
Office 2004 was good, and quick but left you feeling that Microsoft didn't really want the Mac business, it just didn't seem that the interface had been thought about as much as on the PC - 2008 fixes that, and better, it doesn't fall by the wayside as the latest PC offering does. There is no "ribbon" here, there is no jolting change to the interface taking time away from the work you want to do.

This version includes the Word,Excel and Powerpoint products as well as Entourage, the Mac version of Outlook. The student version omits exchange server functionality, recognizing that most (if not all) home users won't have exchange servers.

All in all, if you're a Leopard user, this is pretty much a requirement. As much as you want to love iWork, you've got to understand that the world won't go with you, yet...

Very well recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow compared with Office for Windows!, 13 Feb 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using Microsoft Office 2000 and (more recently), 2007 on my Vista home computers, and was looking forward to trying out Office for Mac 2008 on a Mac I have the loan of for 6 months!

After installation and updates (which naturally took a long time), I set about poking around in Word, since that's the program I use the most. Being used to Office for Windows, I found it hard to get used to. The toolbar on Office for Windows (at the top of the screen that contains the various options) is absent from the Mac version.

If you want to change something as basic as a font for example - you have to find the right floating formatting box instead of just being able to access everything from the top of the screen. This makes simple formatting much slower for anyone used to the Windows layout, especially if you switch regularly between both versions.

Next, the default saving preference is for the .docx format, which isn't compatible with earlier versions of Word, so if you plan to share Word documents with users who haven't upgraded, go to 'Preferences' > 'Save', and select 'Word 97-2004 Document (doc)' under 'Save Word files as'.

Excel 2008: I use spreadsheets regularly in Office for Windows, and never have to wait ages for them to load. On the Mac, if I try and open a particularly large spreadsheet, there's a delay of a few seconds before it loads. And copying/pasting often brings up that dreaded beach ball of death!

Overall, I found Office for Mac slower and less stable than Office for Windows. But since Microsoft have already supplied updates for it, I'd assume they'll continue to do so until it runs more smoothly. For now, I'll be sticking to Office 2007 for Windows.

On the plus side... Publishing Layout View: I like this. It's especially useful if you want to create flyers or brochures, and Word tracks and resizes text blocks as you go along. And the Mac version does have a beautiful interface, very Vista-like with the 'Aero' effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars +.+.+.+Good for Leopard, NOT for Snow Leopard.+.+.+.+, 22 Jan 2009
Mr. Philip Harkins "If in doubt, Smile! :-)" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
EDIT:28/10/09 I have bought a new Mac, and can say that this is not suitable yet for anyone using Snow Leopard, it simply will not install Entourage and needs some updates from Apple, until these are completely done I would be cautious, and check usergroups before you buy. Some might think its strange to use a Microsoft product on a Mac, but for those who find the rather unique MS features invaluable, and are more comfortable using the suite will be pleasantly surprised at the seamless transition that they have managed to pull off. I am using a Macbook running Mac OS X (Leopard)Mac OS X Leopard (1-User) (Mac)and was rather nervous about the capability of my Macbook to cope with the behemoth that is any Microsoft product. I had a full version of Office for Mac 2004, and was looking forward to upgrading to the new version, as it has significant changes to the whole Office suite. It includes all the usual programs you would expect, Entourage (MS's version of Outlook for Mac), Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and of course it's slightly disappointing edition of Messenger for Mac too. It installed without too much difficulty, though took much longer though than I had thought it would, taking a full 6 hours. However I did have a lot of data for it to manage; It managed everything in Entourage well, though managed to completely change my 'rules' and I am now ploughing through the confusing mess. Everything else though is... and I say this rather surprisingly, bearing in mind I am a big Mac fan... brilliant.
So... do I recommend it? Definitely, if you are a Mac user who wants the comfortable interface that is MS office.

4.0 out of 5 stars Are MS poking fun at Apple......or themselves?, 2 Oct 2009
Mr. J. R. Copestake "Johnny C" (London UK) - See all my reviews
First off I am delighted to be able to use my beloved MacPro with the company exchange servers with this product.

At first glance and use everything seems familiar -all does as you would expect. Email works very well and I am sure over a period of time the global address book will become very useful to one and all.

As a company we make heavy use of the calender feature - particularly the one everyone has access to. We keep an eye on each other etc. The calender on a windows machine running outlook is very colourful - each Department having their own colour in categories.

However for some reason MS have decided not to allow a person running Entourage on a Mac the same useful category distinctions!! All the appointments are there but do not seem to sync the catagories! If I have been stupid and missed a trick then please advise and I will write to Microsoft with a groveling apology!!

Overall - well done MS it has enabled me to spend most of my day getting things done more efficiently on my Mac, rather than waiting for Vista to let me know if it is going to let me do something maybe, after checking a couple of times and then following confirmation, taking a little while to process.........etc (You get the idea??)

2.0 out of 5 stars The lowest common denominator, 23 Sep 2009
You've sort of got to, haven't you? I mean, even if you use a superior product like iWork for all your own documents, sooner or later you're going to need to export your work into formats that the users of the poor old PC can read. And sometimes you'll be sent templates and forms that get mangled when opened in the free 'Office' clones... so you're going to want a copy of Microsoft Office on your Mac.

Don't be fooled by the '2008' tag - it's actually a cut-down of the 2007 version that the Windows users got... The Mac version came a year late, and doesn't include Visual Basic functions. Compared to previous versions, each app is more powerful (gives you more options) but at the cost of a more complicated menu structure that will leave you hunting for options that used to be only a mouse click away. You get used to it... eventually.

Out of the box, Word is awful... and crashes daily. But once you download all the updates, this suite is more stable. (But crank up the frequency of autosaves if working with tables in Word. Pasting large sections of text can be a bit iffy as well.)

I'm very pleased to say that my employer bought into the Microsoft 'Home User Scheme' which meant that I get my copy of Office 2008 for peanuts. On that basis, it was worth having - to satisfy the fears of all those whinging co-workers who complain that they can't open your Keynote presentations... As a full-price tool for daily use? No thanks. Your productivity will be far higher if you keep the 2004 version for a while yet, with its far better user interface.

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best but still buggy, 28 July 2009
I put off buying this because of all the bad reviews, but when it was announced the service pack 2 was released I thought I would go for it. (now on ver 12.2.0)
Initially I would say I was very pleased with this software, it has so many great features and I think it beats all other office software.
Now for the bad stuff. I have only had the software less than a week and already discovered 3 problems.
1. When moving between applications in different spaces, office windows get lost. i.e. if I cmd tab to a different app that is in another space, and cmd tab back to the office app, I cannot see the window, or it is underneath another window. I have googled it and it is a known bug.
2. Entourage does not work with webcalendars. - wow , what a decision.
3. Still get out of memory errors. (in my case i was trying to make a pivot table in excel - i have 4 gig mem)

Overall it still beats other office software I have, but only deserves 3 stars because of windows style mistakes.

Office 2008 for Mac, Standard Edition, Full Version (Mac)
Office 2008 for Mac, Standard Edition, Full Version (Mac) by Microsoft Software (Mac, Mac OS X)
Used & New from: 130.00