4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money
I was looking to replace a 20GB mp3 player so I needed at least 20GB capacity and I wanted solid state storage for bettery reliability and less power. The Sansa View seemed to meet my requirements because it has a micro SD slot for adding additional storage (I bought 6GB and put it in).

Overall, it is good, although bigger than I would like. However, I can't...
Published on 4 Jan 2008 by John

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but disappointing...
It does the job but I really thought the View would be better.

On the plus side, it's a sturdy player with good capacity at a reasonable price - and the microSD slot works very well (better than Creative's effort). The radio also seems to work fine.

Published on 12 Jun 2008 by West London bloke

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but disappointing..., 12 Jun 2008
This review is from: Sandisk Sansa View - MP3 and Video Player With Radio - 16Gb (Electronics)
It does the job but I really thought the View would be better.

However, on the negative side, the awful fast-forward function (no progressive acceleration if you hold the FF button down), along with NO bookmarking function, makes it impossible to listen to podcasts or longer recordings. The firmware is also very buggy (if you buy this, make sure you download newer firmware from the site) and the navigation is a little uninspiring.

I've also had slight issues with the battery. The manufacturers claim it can support 30-35 hours of audio playback, though obviously this is very dependent on your settings. However, even with screen brightness set to minimum, it runs down much much quicker than expected and playing music from your microSD card seems to drain the battery even faster. I don't think the battery life is helped by the navigation wheel, which is very sensitive - meaning that, even in the 'hold' mode, the slightest touch of that wheel can keep reactivating the screen (e.g. so imagine how many times it lights up when it rattles around in your pocket).

Overall, it's probably a slightly above-average player with some good features (e.g. microSD) which are unfortunately overshadowed by clear deficiencies (seriously, the fast-forward function is unusable).

Actually, if this has put you off, you might want to try the Sansa Fuze - smaller memory capacity but a brilliant little player with none of the problems above. I bought one this week and have been delighted with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 4 Jan 2008
John (SWINDON, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Overall, it is good, although bigger than I would like. However, I can't give it 5 stars because (a) I am getting battery life much below the claimed 35 hours (this might be caused by putting a card in the slot); (b) if there is a card in the slot then the View insists on spending the first couple of minutes on startup refreshing its database; (c) various firmware bugs. If Sandisk tweak the firmware to sort out these issues then it will deserve 5 stars.

John

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent feature set, 12 Mar 2008
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This player is great value, considering its 16GB memory and ability to add more through a micro SD card. But the clincher for me was the FM radio and ability to record from it, and I can report that it works well. Many players, notably those beginning with i, don't even have a radio, let alone with record facilities. The only irritation on the View is that there is no direct access to the radio from the main menu, it's under "More". But I can live with that.

This is a great-value player. Just don't imagine you're going to use the supplied headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 Dec 2007
I picked up this player online about a week ago, and I think it is great so far.

It has a few very minor bugs which being brand spankin new on the market is inevitable, but nothing bad. I originally had difficulty connecting to my laptop, but it was fixed by fiddling with the plug. Have a look on the sandisk website for open forums and troubleshooting for bugs.

The start up and transfer time is quick, and menus are easy to navigate, similar to an IPOD in some ways.. Just plug and play. Very nice sound, with different volume options (normal and loud found in the setup menu) and adjustable levels. It is bigger than I expected, but very thin.

Overall a great little player, and excellent value for money compared to others on the market. Also looks fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect!, 27 Sep 2008
D. Beattie (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm delighted with this player - very good looking and reassuringly solid with an easy to use interface. The speed with which it synchronised with WMP10 was amazing and the sound and picture quality are excellent.

I had already installed the small application available from Sandisk's web site to update the firmware so when I first plugged it into the computer that's exactly what it proceeded to do. This runs continually as a background process in Windows but uses a tiny amount of memory. However, if that sort of thing that bothers you just uninstall it and re-install every 6 months or so to check for updates. Takes about 5 seconds to install from the download.

Just a couple of minor points that stopped it getting 5 stars from me - a cover is really a necessity to save the surface getting marked or scratched, shame they don't supply one, but they are readily available elsewhere on Amazon - just be prepared to pay 4 quid p&p for a 34p stamp and a tiny jiffy bag. And, as mentioned elsewhere, the fast-forward function is poor - hopefully this will be sorted in a future firmware update.

Other than those niggles, I feel this player is well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars do not buy the e 200 5 piece travel kit for this item, 16 May 2008
R. Wilks - See all my reviews
Please be aware that the advertised e 200 travel kit is innapropriate for this item. Spare yourself the trouble of returning this item as it does not fit the size of player.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good., 1 Mar 2009
G. Wilkinson "Gary" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
The sound quality is inferior to the Creative Zen I upgraded from, the interface whilst not awful feels unintuitive and feels unpolished. Unusually even when the device is locked the screen still lights up when buttons are pressed or the wheel is moved, which basically means the backlight will constantly be going on and off in your pocket which is a totally unnecessary waste of battery. The supplied headphones are not of a good quality and the player uses a propriety USB cable.
I also wouldn't recommend this player if you intend to watch videos. The reason being is that it is very picky about what formats it will play, infact I just used the supplied media converter to convert a video using the default settings, it was "Successful" yet when I tried to play it the device complained "Unsupported media format", I cannot for the life of me understand why it would do that.
On the positive side it is one of the few players out there that support FLAC and OGG but there isn't much need for lossless encoding with this player as the sound quality suffers anyway. The MicroSD slot is also a nice touch as it provides a simple inexpensive way to bulk up your capacity.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sansa media Converter problems, 1 Oct 2008
I have the 8MB Sansa View that I bought to replace my ageing 4GB iPOD.

For music its great. It has one major drawback and that is the software that you need from Sandisk to convert pictures and videos to the specific format for the player.

The software (Sansa Media Converter) stops Windows Media Center (Vista) from working. Sansa do not know if it is a clash with WMC or some types of TV card.
Anyways, to be able to watch TV again I have to uninstall the Sansa software. If I want to download photos or videos then I have to reinstall the Sansa software.

This is a known problem according to Sandisk but they have done nothing to find a solution. In fact, everytime i raise a support case for it, they say
"we are working on it" and close the support case - well i suppose it makes their clear up rate look good.

It really has taken the shine off what is otherwise a great bit of kit. My advice: if you only want music then buy this, if you need video - look elsewhere until the problem is fixed properly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Generally happy but improvements could be made, 23 April 2010
K. Waite (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm generally happy with the Sansa View.

However, unless you're accustomed to creating and synching playlists using Windows Media Player, it can be tricky and time-consuming to create playlists on the Sansa View.

There is an option on the management software to change the synching of playlists from WMP but when I clicked it, I was not given the option to change the program to, for example, Real Player.

I tried dragging and dropping files into Sansa View (when it appeared as a separate drive in Windows Explorer), creating playlist folders etc but that didn't work.

Having said all that, the 16GB capacity is great, I find the sound quality fine (I really only want it to play music while at the gym) and I think the range of features more than meets my personal needs.

All that for £63 - yes, I'm very happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great value for money!!, 14 Jan 2011
P. Hawkins "mmmouse1988" (London) - See all my reviews
This is an AMAZING mp3 player. 16gb is plenty of space to fit a LOT of music on and if not then it's fine cos the micro SD slot can give you a lot more space so there shouldn't be complaints for most people. Videos, music, pictures, and radio play well on the clear, colourful screen which large enough to see it easily. The battery lasts a long time on one charge when listening to just music.

The wheel to control it is great and very easy to use as well as the buttons. It's not too big and is generally easy to hold. The blue light on black and shape is attractive with a nice shiny front and matt, soft back. It isn't too heavy either so isn't a bother to carry.

Media is easy to transfer and it doesn't take too long to do with just having to drag and drop, and comes with software to convert and transfer videos over, which can be downloaded, as well as software to update it.

Issues with it aren't too bad: unlike what it says on other websites it doesn't have continual feedback; it's faily large but not so large that it's not easy to carry around (fits nicely in your hand without being cramped up which is nice for a change as opposed to smaller ones); it doesn't have any sort of quick scroll (unless you have a quick finger), when you unplug it from the computer after putting music on it can take a while to update; but most of these issues you get used to after a while and shouldn't bother you after a month max which is why its still got 5*

My View has served me very well over the past 6mnths-ish and I've been more than happy with it. A great buy at a great price