4.0 out of 5 stars Great compromise for light use, 13 Dec 2011
This review is from: Velbon Ultra Maxi M Tripod (Accessory)
There are clearly plenty of longer and more sturdy tripods. There are also more expensive and higher quality options. However, a tripod for an amateur like me is all about compromise and I subscribe to the view that the "best" tripod is one that doesn't break the bank, which is strong enough to hold your camera in the conditions you are likely to encounter and which is light and compact enough to slip unobtrusively into a shoulder bag. For my personal use, this fits the bill very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: Velbon Ultra Maxi M Tripod (Accessory)
Took this to disney. Very compact; takes up very little space in luggage. Fitted nicely in the basket undeneath the stroller. Quick to erect with locking legs. Able to handle the weight of my slr with a zoom lens. Moves smoothly and action locks and unlocks easily with handle.
Only downside is that it does not have a level checker. It is easy to erect the tripod without having all the legs extended to the same length. Pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, light and some handy features, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Velbon Ultra Maxi M Tripod (Accessory)
I mostly use my tripod for photography when hiking, climbing, on expeditions, etc. This one's under 1kg and exceptionally small when collapsed down, making it ideal for me. The leg locking mechanism is secure and easy to use and doesn't have any big clips like my old one, which would get caught on the cords on my rucksack. The legs can spread out at 3 angles, and if you need to get even lower you can flip the central column upside down. Max height isn't really an issue for me but it may be for some - remember this tripod is a little shorter than most big tripods.

Stability might be an issue in windy conditions with a tripod this light - I haven't had to do this yet but tying/taping a bag of rocks or whatever to add ballast underneath the central column would do the trick.

I use this with a Pentax K5 and (mostly) a 15mm f4 HD and a 40mm F2.8 XS - both very small lenses. I don't have a long telephoto, but I expect a bigger DSLR with a long, heavy lens might cause some problems if not ballasted, especially if it's centre of mass is too far off the centre of the tripod.

One issue I noticed is that because there are a couple of threaded joints under the head, you can lock off the head and it'll still rotate if the joints aren't tightened, so be aware of this, and keep 'em tightened.

So in summary, perfect if you have a small camera/lens combo and want lightweight and small.

ARRAY(0xa00c963c)