5.0 out of 5 stars No Washday Blues
Published on 11 Aug 2012 by Ms. Sybil Walton

I bought my Whirlpool AWE6517 top loading washing machine about seven weeks ago from ao.com

This was the second one that I had bought. The previous one had given us daily, faithful service for 5 years and when one of the plastic ribs broke inside the drum we thought it would be easier in the long run to buy a new one, rather than try to fix it.

My...
Published 1 month ago by Stephen Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars No Washday Blues, 11 Aug 2012
Ms. Sybil Walton "sibbi" (north east england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 40cm A Rated 1000 Spin 5kg Top Loader washing Machine (AWE6517) (Misc.)
This is the third machine by this maker we have had. Always give excellent service. The first one lasted 15years, the second one 12years and now we are on to number three. Well made and engineeringly sound. The smaller size fits into most kitchens or utility rooms without taking over. Is quiet while running and being a top loader and the drum going over and over instead or round and round makes the clothes less creased when they come out. Excellent value for money I would recomment this machine to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars AWE 6517 top loader, 28 Jun 2013
I chose this machine because it was essential that because of space available I had to have a top loader. Having previously had Whirlpool top loaders i felt confident in purchasing another one. Generally speaking having now had this machine for just over a year I am happy with it. However the only aspect I am a little disappointed about is the spin speed and on occasions when the washing cycle is completed I have had to give the load an additional spin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal !, 28 Feb 2013
It does not take a lot of space, works very good, very handy with the opening at the top of the washing machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars exelent, 29 Sep 2013
better then expected never thought it could be so good and so easy to use very happy with the washing all so,
Zuki

5.0 out of 5 stars Great does exactly what it should!, 2 Jan 2014
Easy set up, cleans well, simple! Good price and effective replacement for my 30 year old previous top loader. Would recommend

3.0 out of 5 stars Budget top loading machine - for the money it's just about ok, 25 Nov 2014

My wife identified four problems with the new machine. Note that she probably had a more intimate relationship with the old machine than I do with my car, so she knows what she's talking about. The main problem was the spin speed: After a wash with the new machine, we had to hang up clothes to dry for longer than overnight, and this was a serious inconvenience. Another problem was that when you lift the lid, a load of water would trickle down into the drum - not that big a problem in the scheme of things, but not like the old machine which had an identical product number. The other two problems were related to the control software loaded onto the machine - the timer didn't work, and also the light which tells you when the cycle has ended didn't work.

Telephoning ao.com was a bit of a lottery - sometimes (once) you get through after one minute waiting, but more often than not you are on hold for over 10 minutes at a time. They sub-contract the servicing to an over-worked, harrassed Whirlpool engineer who in the end visited us three times (I would give him 2 out of 5 stars if I had the facility of rating him). He managed to fix the minor electrical faults, but not the spin speed problem. So please note that Whirlpool supplied us with a machine with minor electrical faults.

And now, here's the rub: -

He said that he did not have a gadget to measure the spin speed, but his electonic diagnostic machine indicated that everything was ok. After loads of hassle, he refused to say that the machine did not work properly. We argued that it didn't spin up to the maximum speed because our clothes came out wetter than before, and also, you could hear it spinning and not reaching the same pitch as the old machine.

So we had deadlock. Eventually, ao.com agreed to take the machine back but this was a pyrrhic victory as it involved lots of time hanging around on hold and having to explain everything again to the new person who would eventually answer the phone.

An interesting insight here is that you need a Whirlpool engineer to certify that the machine is faulty, so it's hardly an independent diagnosis.

After a few weeks, we bought a Hotpoint WTL721P for about £400 rather than £300 for the Whirlpool. This machine is much better all round: - it's quieter, has a bigger capacity but is outwardly the same size, and spins up quicker meaning we can dry our clothes overnight again. Mrs Davies is finally happy, and that's what it's all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful compact machine, 31 Jan 2014
I bought this machine as I have a very tiny space in my kitchen for a washer and also because I have a bad back. The limited space and my back condition would have made bending to a front loader difficult. A friend has had one for a good number of years and recommended it. The machine still has a normal drum but this is accessed from the top.
I am delighted - it is easy to use, the progress bar lets you know the stage the programme is at and the controls are clear. It performs very well - in short does everything I wanted of it - fits my small space, saves my back and washes my laundry.
It was slightly noisy on my floorboards, but a simple base of MDF screwed to the floor solved this. It would probably be much better on a solid floor.
I would recommend this to anyone with limited space or who finds bending difficult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for us., 11 Dec 2013
We have limited room and my other half cannot bend to use a front loader. An excellent machine for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super little machine, 26 Jun 2014
This washing machine fits in the dead corner of my very small kitchen perfectly. All programs tried so far working well. Particularly like the "daily" load. Can't think why more people don't buy more top loaders they are so much neater and take up less room than front loaders. So glad I persevered in searching for it and the price was right.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disastrous purchase !, 20 Oct 2014
The machine has a very poor balance and is very difficult to adjust. One has to readjust it all the time. Practically after every spin. It is positioned in exactly the same place as the previous washing machine with which we did not have that problem.
Also it is very difficult to open and to close the drum in order to load and unload it. My thirteen year old daughter was badly hurt, when the drum's doors just shoot open with inadequate forth.
The only star I can give it is for the size. It is smaller then most wachone machines.