5.0 out of 5 stars Commonsense
Obviously a wise and same author. I appreciated his candid honesty about his life's experiences. I could identify with a lot of his experiences and observations. A good Read.
Published 20 months ago by Murrell

Glenn Beck does his readers a service by suggesting that we get to the facts behind all those opinions and assertions that bombard us daily . . . and the ones we hold that we haven't looked into in about 20 years. He is at his best when pointing out the weaknesses of polls, statistics, and arguments made to push certain political positions.

His idea of humor...
Published on 2 Jan 2008 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed Bag of Good Points, Raw Humor, and Superficial Critiques, 2 Jan 2008
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

His idea of humor reminds me in places of the kind of outrageousness that was popular in high school for flaunting authority. The humor works best when he has a sound underpinning of a suggestion for a better idea (as he does in several cases). Otherwise, it's just blowing off steam (a rant, in other words). I find rants (even humorous ones) to be boring so they didn't work very well with me.

The parts of the humor that I found very effective were the moronic quotes of people who either didn't understand what they were saying or displayed hidden motives in public.

Where he gets into trouble is where he doesn't know enough to take a position apart but thinks he does. I admire him for trying, but arguments based on charts displaying correlations just don't prove anything unless you can also show a cause-and-effect relationship. I suggest he get some people to help him who can take the time to pull these issues apart at a little more fundamental level.

I would recommend that those who don't normally question their political beliefs take a look at this book. It's a template for how to check your own thinking by doing a little research . . . something we should all do more of.

I had never heard of Glenn Beck before reading his book so I didn't have a prior opinion of him as an on-air performer.

I also haven't seen An Inconvenient Truth, so I don't know how accurate his satire of Al Gore is.

I found his humility about explaining his prior mistakes to be refreshing and praiseworthy.

I could really relate to his description of what it's like to have a guy show up to pick up your daughter for a date.

If he gets someone to check his work a little more carefully and finds a few more solutions, Glenn Beck could be quite a positive force.

5.0 out of 5 stars Commonsense, 31 Dec 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars There's more to Glenn Beck, 26 Nov 2007
There are hundreds of interesting and intriguing facts that Beck has spread throughout the book, most of which will leave you stunned but some of which may leave you in awe. I like his writing style, it's informative and humorous. I found this book very interesting and well worth reading. In fact it showed a little more to Beck than you might get from radio or TV. I highly recommend it.
And for a good philosophy book I recommend 'Understanding: Train of Thought'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense Baffles Ivory Tower Liberal Elites..., 18 July 2008
Some reviewers of this book find it simplistic. One has to suppose that if one cuts through the "bull crap", to paraphrase Mr. Beck, that so many problems can be solved with plain ol' common sense. It seems to be human nature to put the worst spin on every situation, and so self hating Liberals thrive on blaming the world's ills on Western civilization. Mr. Beck merely points out that if the West would cease and desist with political correctness, then maybe the good that is inherent to our society would be able to trump all that troubling the world today. One can only wish that every Liberal who "can't bring himself to finish reading this book" would for once take a moment to consider another point of view, with an open mind.

1.0 out of 5 stars Superficial political bias, 19 Aug 2010
There are some mildly amusing bits in this book. But one of Beck's main planks is that people ignore facts. Unfortunately, when he has no facts to support his right wing political views, he resorts to flagrant ad hominem ridicule.

Do not waste your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars If only there were more people like Beck., 12 Jan 2010
Thanks to books like this and people like Beck the world is starting to wake up to the fact that progressive, over reached and bloated government is destroying what little liberty we have left. This book, while a little US centric, and sometimes a bit simplistic, is a good starter for anyone who is seriously worried about where the left is leading us. The USA was the last bastion of freedom but alas no more, with every passing day they lose a bit more of their freedom, to an over bloated meddling government that seems hell bent on destroying a great country. Socialism is best left to the ants and bees.

1.0 out of 5 stars Carnival Hawker, 7 May 2008
Barbara Rhoades "Jackie of all Trades" (O'Fallon, MO USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I found this book to be much like being at a circus. I felt like I was being "hawked" to. You know how the carnival people try to get you to play the games by yelling in that sing song voice? That's what this audio book reminds me of.

While there were some funny comparisons made, it was not enough to make me jump for joy that I was listening to it. There is enough "doom and gloom" in society today and in the newspapers and on television, that I don't want to listen to someone tell me about all the problems in the world. Yes, I know our society has problems but since the people in government aren't going to make the changes, what can I do by listening to Mr. Beck tell me what I already know?

Of course, if you like this type of non-useful information and want to feel like you are on the midway at the local carnival, then by all means get a copy.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Little Understanding, 9 May 2008
J. Johnson (Gile's Tent) - See all my reviews
After hearing his recent opinions on gamers I fail to see how anything written by this idiot could make any sense. Stereotyping videogamers in this way is just as bad as any other stereotype. So, when somebody with such a low social tolerance decides to write a book proclaiming he has solutions to the worlds problems I find it hard to see how he could possibly deal with issues like terrorism, famine, obesity, etc. in a way that won't offend 99% of the readers.

Anyway, must go now. My mother switches the router off at night.

Live long and prosper!