on 20 August 2013
Outstandingly good at teaching effective java, and now updated for the current releases.

This book is for java programmers who already can write reasonably good Java programs. This book makes those programs much more effective, as the book title suggests. Novice programmers should be aware that this title is advanced and would not be the right choice to start learning java. The author assumes the reader has at least one or two years of java programming experience. Unlike other advanced technical books, this book does not specialise in any specific area such as Web Services or Threads. Rather the subject is the fundamental language itself and how to write it better. Therefore it applies to an advanced java programmer of any kind.

For a technical book, it is refreshingly easy to read, and the structure of the book lends itself to reading an item at a time to digest without having to read for hours to get the sense. Usually with technical books I dip in to sections that appeal, but I found with this book it was suitable for reading from start to finish if I wanted, as some points build on previous points. There did not seem to be any items that were not relevant to my use of Java, so I was happy to read it all. The points made are broken up into items and many of them have made me slap my forehead with recognition. The author clearly knows his stuff. I find that technical books can sometimes be a cure for insomnia, but this one has had me gripped. On the kindle it wasn't even very heavy, but full of very useful tips for writing better java.

This second edition has been updated with the new java features up to Java 1.6, although it is still relevant for the newer releases 1.7 and 1.8. Several of the examples in the first edition have been updated or replaced with the preferred methods now available using new features of the language such as generics, asserts and enums. Long in the tooth developers like me therefore benefit with some updating on the current preferred solutions to age old problems.

I would highly recommend the book for any java programmer who wants to go beyond the basics and write more effective programs.
on 23 July 2014
There's not a lot to say about this book that hasn't been said already, if it isn't used as a university textbook everywhere, it should.

Even if you're good at Java and you're generally doing the right things, it'll help organise your thoughts and explain exactly why those things are right.

Hopefully there'll be a third edition with all the Java 7 and 8 features included as well.
on 9 July 2013
I read great reviews of the working of Joshua Block and indeed this book certainly promotes a deep[er] understanding of the Java language. I rate this book highly for experienced developers that have worked with Java for some time, but are looking to further improve their understand.
on 29 May 2014
I bought the first edition, and I've now bought the second. Every page contains essential information from an author who knows all there is to know about Java. All Java developers should read it from cover to cover (it's short, too).