5.0 out of 5 stars A great little printer
This is a great printer! Startup time is a few seconds, its printing quickly and the results look great! Simple and just works!
Published on 29 May 2009 by M. Ohrstrom

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed
First printer had black bands on right of print. Amazon return and replacement service was very efficient. Replacement printer produces good output - but is very sensitive to paper and has more paper jams than I would expect from a quality product.
Published on 16 Jan 2010 by Mike B

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little printer, 29 May 2009
M. Ohrstrom - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother HL-2140 Compact Mono Laser Printer (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars A willing workhorse!, 30 Dec 2009
Willpower "Willpower" (Buckinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
I am a fan of mono laser printers for all documents (in my case, most) that do not need colour. They are fast, much cheaper to run than inkjets, and the image is a virtually permanent one that will not run when wet or fade with time. This is very important for documents, such as family history records, which need to be preserved for posterity.

I bought the Brother to replace a trusty HP1100 which had finally given up the ghost after many years of faithful service. It is a worthy successor, with which I am very pleased: no frills, but excellent performance, with fast, quiet output, crisp, even print, and a compact, un-fussy design. My only slight quibble is with the manual paper feed, which requires paper to be fed, one sheet at a time, into a rather fiddly slot. I often wish to print on coloured paper or, with regard for the environment, on once-used paper; if the document covers more than one page, this means either printing one page at a time or placing some sheets on top of the new white paper in the input tray, and remembering to take the unused pages out before printing anything else. This apart, I heartily recommend this printer for home or small office use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the best little printer ever?, 28 Oct 2009
C. Murray (Outer Hebrides) - See all my reviews
I can't believe that people haven't been waxing lyrical about this magnificent little machine. Let me tell you a few things about it - it's compact and almost pretty, so easy to set up that my granny could manage and has come as close to saving my sanity as any equipment outside of a psychiatric hospital ever could. I was required to merge and print 3700 letters for an organisation that I'm involved with. This fantastic, unassuming wee printer did it all without one single paper jam and - okay, thanks to a bit of trickery from me but hey - on its original toner cartridge. It's a wonder, a marvel and a little gem. I'm more than happy to call it my Brother and wish my two actual brothers would do half as much for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best value black and white laser printer on the market, 7 April 2010
Rob S "Rob S" (Conwy, North Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Purchased to replace my Brother HL-2030 which is now a discontinued model, this is also my second HL-2140.
We run a small family business which generates a lot of printing, early days we used ink jets but the cost of the ink was to high for the number of prints, so opted for a laser printer.

The brother laser printer is the best I can find for the money, the toner isn't to expensive, prints loads on one toner, I guess a round 3500 sheets.

Paper tray holds 250 sheets which saves me having to keep adding paper.

Print quality is very good, I use the cheapest paper I can find and results are excellent.

Reliability seems fine, we have had the first one for around a year now with no issues.
Amazon price was the best I could find which was received next working day.

Probably the best value black and white laser printer on the market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Efficient laser printer, 15 Jan 2010
G. Brown (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Looking for an inexpensive mono laser printer? We were, and chose this. We're not disappointed. It's compact, reliable (so far), quick to warm up with a print speed of over 20 A4 sheets per minute. Print quality is first class. It handles Avery sheet labels from the paper cassette with ease and prints envelopes from the manual feed tray. Only grumble might be that the manual feed tray could provide better support for the paper but it's so simple to slip a sheet into the bottom cassette that this hardly matters. Toner costs might be a bit on the high side but still cheaper than trudging round to the copy shop - depends on how cheaply you can buy your cartridges.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good printer, 8 Dec 2009
A. Reed (UK) - See all my reviews
Works brilliant on Linux(CUPS), Windows XP and 7. Better than overpriced HP inkjet rubbish. Easy to set up, quick, good quality output and quiet..

5.0 out of 5 stars good printer, 5 Dec 2009
Does its job well! no problems!
It might bother some ppl that the paper comes out a bit curled from the sides, doesn't bother me. Overall good printer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 23 Sep 2010
I bought this printer because I was sick and tired of inkjet printers with full cartridges not printing when I want them to because the print heads had dried out This printer is up and running within a few seconds of clicking the print button and the printed copies are produced at a very satisfactory speed. The printer installed easily on my iMac/Snow Leopard computer and has worked faultlessly since installation. It's truly wonderful to know that when I want to print something, even if I havn't used the printer for weeks, that this printer is going to deliver. I dont miss the lack of colour and certainly dont miss the poor reliability of inkjets. I would recommend this printer to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 22 Sep 2010
This is a very good mono laser printer at excellent value. Produces very good quality prints at good speed. Well worth purchasing. It can be a little noisy but for the value I wouldn't mind the noise at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good printer, 13 May 2010
Seems a well made printer wth a solid feel. Paper tray could do with a visual aid somehow to see the amount of paper left but does a good reliable job both with my iMac and laptop.