on 1 July 2010
I bought this keyboard a few weeks ago as I have developed a problem with RSI in my shoulder and arm. I had already tried a cheaper keyboard that was supposedly ergonomic but made the problem worse, so I forked out the hefty price for this one out of desperation. I'm very pleased I did - although it's expensive, it's a whole lot cheaper than treatment for RSI and it has definitely made a difference.
I found that it took me several days to get it adjusted perfectly and I had to raise my computer chair in order to sit in the correct position (as the keyboard is higher than a regular one). It's fairly easy to adjust - I've seen a review elsewhere in which someone complained about the large lever that is used for this, but it's easy enough to operate and you only need to use this when you're first figuring out the right position for it. As soon as I had the keyboard adjusted correctly, I found it remarkably comfortable to type with - surprisingly so since it looks a bit odd.
The keyboard as a whole is reassuringly sturdy. As it claims, the removal of the numerical keypad on the right makes it MUCH easier to keep your mouse within reach if you are right-handed, which is essential if you have problems on this side. There is an option to press a number lock and use some of the central keys like a numerical pad if you really want to.
In terms of usability, it does take a bit to get used to the location of a few of the keys. I found I could carry on touch-typing right from the start without any difficulties but it has taken me a little bit to get used to the location of the delete, backspace keys etc. For some of these keys, I now use a different finger than what I used to as the tilt of the keyboard also makes a difference in how far you have to reach.
So in a nutshell, if you have RSI or are keen to avoid it, this is an excellent investment so long as you're happy to make the effort to adapt to the slightly different feel and layout. I don't think I'll ever be changing back!
on 25 August 2009
It's good value and it's adjustable as expected.
The adjustability would be perfect if you could move the 2 halves apart,
but for the price I can't complain.

The key action is good, but a little bit "soggy".

My only niggle is the odd placement of the miscellaneous keys like "\" and Delete.
on 13 May 2011
On the whole this keyboard is pretty good and surprisingly quick to get used to but there are a few niggles.

Pros:
* Nice feel to the keys
* There's no num-pad and it's very compact so it takes up much less desk space and you can have your mouse closer. This is a big plus for me.
* There's quite a big range of adjustment - you can raise it right up so your hands are almost facing each other which is surprisingly comfortable. (though you can't easily rest your wrists on anything in this position.)
* There's a backspace key on both sides.
* The little-used keys like num-lock, scroll-lock, break, sys-req etc have moved out of the way over to the left.
* People who can't touch type will keep well away from your computer.

Cons:
* It's quite thick so if you want to rest your wrists (only in the flatter positions) you'll want to find a very thick wrist rest.
* The \ is up in the far right corner not far from where it is on an American keyboard and is too far away from the home keys to touch type. The delete key has also moved to the top left.
* The Num-Lock and Menu keys are easy to hit accidentally (but you can easily pop them off along with the caps-lock key using a small lever)
* The two halves themselves are completely flat unlike the curved shape you get on something like an MS Natural keyboard. This may matter in some positions more than others of course.
* If you want a very high position (so your hands are almost facing each other) you'll need a lower desk or higher chair and obviously you can't use a rest. (Surprisingly this can still be very comfortable.)
on 16 April 2012
I actually have the mobile version of this keyboard but as they are quite similar i thought i would add my review as its applicable to this keyboard and will hopefully highlight the fact that a mobile version exists should anybody need it.

The locking mechanism works very well on these keyboards and allows for continuous adjustment so you can migrate from a flat keyboard to one with the sides at about 30° over a number of weeks rather than having a step change.

As mentioned in other reviews he keyboard layout is slightly strange with the delete key on the mobile unit being bottom left. This is quite annoying to be honest but I guess it will encourage me to make less mistakes!

I think they have tried to use the same keyboard for PC and MAC as some of the writing on the keys does not relate to a PC. This is a shame.

If considering one of the split keyboards you need to bear in mind that you will have to touch type properly and this is a learning curve for myself so I really am back to a few words a minute. I think if I can make myself stick with it it will improve the RSI situation - bearing in mind that I have had several operations and have permanent RSI for 15 years this keyboard does offer some hope and the ability to change the angle and move my wrists to a more relaxed angle than flat. Wtil I can touch type in a relaxed mode I will not know if this is the case

the differences for the mobile keyboard are:

it is £200!
The keys are just as big but slightly closer together so the overall width is about the same as a 14 inch laptop.
Each side of the keyboard has a sliding plastic cover that protects the keyboard if you are mobile, these slide off and then slide onto the underside of each keyboard half and have rubber feet-a very neat design
the mobile version is USB only

I was looking for a keyboard without a numeric keypad so I could bring the mouse closer to me - that is why I chose the mobile unit. Had I realised that this desktop unit was also without keypad I would have probably saved myself a lot of money.

Even so, I am happy with the quality and design.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is the best of the lot that promised to improve ease of typing without getting wrist and finger muscles/tendons into trouble. It is simple and works as described on the box.
on 30 March 2012
I love this keyboard takes about a week to get used to shape and adjusting to your requirements then fantastic. I am a trained touch typist and have been typing for over 30 years and had started to suffer badly with RSI problems and tennis elbow. All I can say is things have improved no end. I also purchased the evoluent ergonomic mouse at same time and tennis elbow symptoms have also gone after suffering for two years. Things have been so good that I purchased for both my other admin staff who were also suffering and they are both converts too. Can't recommend highly enough.
on 7 June 2012
This item is amazing. If you touch type and have any problems with wrist/arm pain, you should get one of these. Somewhat difficult and strange to get used to, but once you do, you will never look back. It puts the arms into the correct position rather than twisting your arms to type as with a conventional keyboard. Only problem is once you get used to using one, you have problems returning to a typical keyboard. I wouldn't be without mine.
on 29 March 2011
Since using this keyboard, I no longer have any computer-related pain in my wrists. Even though I am not a touch-typist, I found that I got used to the split key-board very quickly. I will never use the conventional style of keyboard again.
on 1 August 2009
A quality product but it did not resolve the pains I had in my arms so I sent it back
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I touch type, and while I do not have this particular keyboard, I provide a warning: unless all your keyboards are ergonimic, you may find, as I did, that switching from an ergonomic keyboard to a regular one (say, your laptop)and back and forth, is hugely a problem. I finally gave up on the ergonomic keyboard because most of the keyboards I am more or less forced to use are straight design.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

See one answered question