4.0 out of 5 stars A Late Review. Sorry
Final Fantasy XII is something I have been working through recently due to the current economic crisis. I heard some major changes were made to this game and so differs a lot to its predecessors.

Published on 30 Oct 2008 by bifukawjbmbf

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh!
This game is not bad overall.

I think the characters are great, the setting is good, the storyline is gripping and the music is brilliant.

BUT and this is a big BUT...

Published on 3 Mar 2009 by Rob Charlwood

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Late Review. Sorry, 30 Oct 2008
This review is from: Final Fantasy XII (PS2) (Video Game)

Anticipating the horror of a new combat system in the manual, I actually was amazed at how efficient and engaging it is. The gambit system is a useful tool for those who are too lazy to issue your other characters an attack or defensive strategy. It makes the game very efficient during battles but I should point out the game still revolves loosely round a turn based system.

The GF's, those who can turn the tide of battle with a single summoning returns. They are known as Espers in this game and they are very hard to get hold of. They now roam around with their summoner fighting enemies like one of the characters and usually execute their finishing moves in a cut scene, classic Final Fantasy style.

There is little variation in the game, not many sub plots and sub games which is disappointing. It is needed because the structure of the main plot is very repetitive. One gets something to do, one travels through the desert and fights baddies, one goes through a ruin/dungeon to retrieve something fighting baddies along the way and the cycle goes on. What ever happened to those addictive sub games? The card game in FFVIII was classic.

So was the world roaming in the spaceship, the Ragnarok. Is there really no freedom? Actually there is in the towns. Good graphics help make these beautifully articulated places that are very memorable and you can almost believe in them. Sometimes it feels like you are on vacation. Very exotic places and an enjoyable experience roaming round the towns. When you are outside the towns its just desert or glacier, no suburbia or farmland! How do the people survive and where do they live? :D

I do agree with some others who reviewed this game stating that the characters were not very interesting. I think that would partially have to do with the English voice overs. They don't appear enthusiastic or emotional enough for instance when you expect them to be in order to help you engage with the plot. The plot is very political, subliminally sending out messages to those young gamers and well timed considering the political situation between the West and the Middle East. Although I am not sure that was intended :D

Good job for changing the combat system. If it was the same as all the other FF games I would not have continued playing. An addictive chill-out sub game would have been nice though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a strong story but the greatest improvement in the series, 5 July 2009
A. Guimaraes (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Fantasy XII (PS2) (Video Game)
I'm a die-hard FF fan, I've been playing it since the first PS-1 release and in my opinion, so far, FF12 is the best game of the series.

Some argue that the story and the characters were not as good as in the previous games which is a fair point. But to be honest I always found the plots a bit flimsy and the acting terrible - in FF10 the characters were always waving their arms every time they spoke. So I guess there isn't a lot of change in this aspect apart from the fact that there is not a lot of story and break-scenes as it used to. I won't say whether this is a bad or a good thing. I always watch the scenes but I know a lot of people that just skip all that.

About the character development, I really enjoyed it. In the previous games a character would be "stuck" with some specific abilities (one is good with swords, another with white magic and so on...) but FF12 gives you more freedom to make you character stronger in whichever way you like. Of course there are the "innate" abilities for each one, but it does not cripple the development of the others abilities. So your strong guy will be able to cast a white spell just as the delicate heroine will be able to slash and dice with the biggest sword in the world. The character development is made through a sort of grid with each grid representing different things, from enabling your character to fight with a certain type of weapon to increasing its strength. Each grid requires a number of points that you collect while defeating foes. You'll need the grip to equip the character with weapons and protectives and also to use magic.

The fighting mechanics is also a new step - no, sorry - a great leap forward. You have a sort of GPS of the area you're in and you can see the position of each enemy in relation to your team. I found it awesome that you can actually avoid fighting if you're too weak or you just cannot be bothered. Also you have non-aggressive foes which are much stronger but it will only fight you if you start fighting first. Another introduction to the fighting items is the Quickening. It's a special element that you have to develop using the grid, that allows you to chain commands from other characters in one go if you press the right sequence of buttons fast enough. It can be a life saver in some tough fights especially when there's a time limit.

Some missions were endless and boring (i.e. talking to a lot of people in the right order) - thankfully there were not a lot of them. But some are really gratifying like the Hunting Clan - even though is optional I think it is totally worth to do it. You can get special weapons and items through the hunts and a lot of money as well. Which brings me to another change in the series, where you can't loot Gil from the defeated foes anymore, but some items that you can sell to make some bucks.

I could go on and on with this review, but I'll stop here. There are loads of improvements that made the game more dynamic and less repetitive and even though the story won't bring tears to your eyes, you'll feel at the end that you don't want to finish and keep playing until you're sick of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars First a whole-new, unique fighting system...then FFXII makes it to Platinum - I think there's a message to be said, 20 Feb 2008
Michael D'Amore (London, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Fantasy XII (PS2) (Video Game)
I'm gonna keep the main statement simple: this has GOT TO BE the best Final Fantasy game to-date on the PS2; OK, maybe not story-wise but gameplay and graphic-wise this is the shiznit...

...the all-new, original Active Dimension Battle system is a whole new view on classic RPG turn-based fighting, especially for the FF series. The Active Dimension Battle (or ADB) system, now "seamlessly integrates exploration and combat", so say 'goodbye' to all of those annoying random encounters...and say 'hello' to 3D mapping. Yes, now you can rotate the camera view (with the second analog stick) in ANY direction you require so no more hiding for those pesky chests full with valuable Elixir (true FF fans would understand).

...standing side-by-side with the ADB also is the "revolutionary Gambit System and Licence Board which give you complete control over the development and behaviour of your characters."

(1)The Gambit System are basically orders you pre-set so that, when in combat, your characters can automatically carry out their commands, e.g. 'Attack -> Nearest Enemy' or 'Curaga -> Ally <20% HP'; it might sound a bit confusing now, but trust me, you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

(2)The Licence Board is a unique take on the usual 'kill-an-enemy-acquire EXP-level-up' path. When you defeat an enemy, besides acquiring EXP points, you also acquire LP (Licence Points); the stronger the enemy, the more you will get. These LP are used on the LB to enable your characters to weild certain weapons or armour. Other than this, they can also be used to augment your characters' stats such as '+250 HP' or 'Decrease MP cost by 10%'. I'll admit that sometimes intentionally acquiring these LP is a pain but then again, at the same time you are gaining invaluable EXP points.

I could go more into detail but these features are the most cutting-edge for the FF series. I HIGHLY recommend this game for RPG-lovers and FF-fans alike and even if you do buy it, all we can do now is look forward to the various future-releases of more FF games.

This may be Final Fantasy but definitely not the last.

4.0 out of 5 stars good. deeply flawed, but still good., 11 April 2009
This review is from: Final Fantasy XII (PS2) (Video Game)
I was (note - WAS) , like lots of people, an original Final Fantasy XII hater. I was also so excited about playing it because I had just bought a ps2 and played FFX and had had a great time with that. I really also liked the idea of gambits.

I had a really great time with the game. Just walking around watching your characters do the things you've programmed them to do was great. I spent about 150 hours on it and didnt finish it.

I didnt finish the game because I had SO many gripes with it. Basically the gameplay was so deeply flawed and under-thought-through that I got bored. I got about three quarters of the way through it. However it was fun while it lasted, but the flaws sort of meant that the game ran out of tricks too soon, and because of this I got bored. For example - all magicks like blind, disable, confuse are completely usless because they ALWAYS miss their target. When they finally hit, the fights nearly over!! Also if you set a gambit to cast a magick on your foes, and you happen to come across a foe that is immune to it (as many are, too many in my opinion, so many the game is less fun to play) your character will not take note that the foe is immune to it. They will simply cast that magick on that foe over and over again until all their MP is used up!!! So there is no sense of the depth of a game such as FFX. You cant set a power break (as it was called in FFX, its called "wither" in this) to a gambit because if you do thats all your character will do in the fight, and you need that character for other things. There are ways around this actually, but anyway, the monsters arent so powerful that you'll ever need a power break anyway. Power breaks dont work on bosses either, so that ones out too!!! In fact all the bosses are easily defeated in one sitting by simply attacking and healing correctly and curing status ailments. You dont even have to use magick, because all the weapons are so powerful that theres no point. Also you have certain abilites early in the game that you can only set to gambits later in tha game. So you walk around slightly frustrated that your always having to micro manage "charge" for example, when you really want to set it to a gambit and forget all about it, which is what this game was designed to do. So anyway, I never completed it.

It collected dust for a year and a half, when one day I decided to pick it up again. I bought some new gambits and loads of strategies came to me as to how to use them. Excited by this I decided I had been missing out on all this fun for most of the game and I decided to start all over again. (crazy eh?)

I spent about 20 hours more on the game. These 20 hours were fun, exciting, and I was always looking forward to getting stronger. Add that to the 150 hours I spent on it the first time and thats 170 hours worth!! This is pretty good value for a game. Most games are finished in a quarter of that time!! Buy this game. You will certainly feel like writing some strong words to the production team about the stupid little flaws, and that they should of spent another 2 years in production, but really its all worth it!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh!, 3 Mar 2009
Rob Charlwood "Rob" (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Final Fantasy XII (PS2) (Video Game)
This game is not bad overall.

BUT and this is a big BUT...

The combat system has to be one of the worst in FF history! It's completely un-intuitive, the camera does stupid things when in tight spaces and is hard to control when in the midst of a big battle!

I lost count of the amount of times I died due to my view disappearing behind a wall and not being able to get out! The whole system feels clunky and like it was tacked on as an after thought.

One of the things I love about the old combat system was how tactical you could be. You could take your time and plan every move with intricate detail and watch your prefectly organised and formulated attack annhilate your enemy. No such satisfaction here I'm afraid.

In fact in all honesty the only reason I finished the game was due to the amazing storyline, characters and plot twists. Had the game not got me hooked in the first 2-3 hours I would have probably never opened the box again!

5.0 out of 5 stars A staple for ps2 games, 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: Final Fantasy XII (PS2) (Video Game)
definitely worth to play and have for the fans of the series, played in component with the right TV, it gives one of the best experiences on ps2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally the right product, 26 Nov 2012
This review is from: Final Fantasy XII (PS2) (Video Game)
After making an @rse of my first order and ordering a strategy guide instead of a game, I finally got the right thing. Quick delivery time (thank god) and the game was in perfect condition. thank you store for saving my bacon!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not like before but still good, 10 Aug 2012
This review is from: Final Fantasy XII (PS2) (Video Game)
Final Fantasy XII is a decent if sometimes frustrating game that sees your typical group of rogues, princesses and the token bipedal animal person wander around generic fantasy land on their quest to the next dungeon.

Don't get me wrong though, it is a fun game. Combat is definitely moving in the right direction by allowing you to move and there something to be said about just running the hell away from enemies right from the beginning. There are so many spells, techniques etc that it'll take a looooong time before you master it. I'm currently trying to complete the Mark mini game which is a pure endurance test.

What this game also has is variety. Big open spaces of deserts, mountains, swamps, forrests, towns and bizzare plces that could only exist in a JRPG. Throw a large roster of enemies (although they all seem to be duplicated at least 5/6 times) and you've got plenty to keep you going for weeks.

The story is ok but too convoluted. For one thing, it's suffering from pointlessfetchquest syndrome which sees you going to one dungeon, picking up an item, seeing one of their many versions of gandalf, finding out that you need something else and repeating. Way too much padding but the wider context of the story is good, if hard to follow.

The main character Vaan is where I have a problem. Unlike other Final Fantasy games, his relevance in the story is slight at best to the extent that you could quite easily take both him and Penelo out the story and you wouldn't miss much. The other four characters have their own interesting quirks and backstory and even some of the guests characters like Reddas and Larsa add personality.

I'm not one for graphics. Its a last gen game and it looks it. Good voice acting though, apart from the noice Ashe makes whenever someone says something to her that's surprising, rude or annoying. You know that sound.

The levelling up and license board system I like and allows you to really customise your group however you want at the start of the game. Towards the end though, it suffers from the same problems that X had in that every character knows every ability so the tactics are lost.

All in all though, well worth the buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars FF XII one of the best, 4 Mar 2012
This review is from: Final Fantasy XII (PS2) (Video Game)
This is one of the best from Square Enix, they did it again. A must have for any Final Fantasy fan !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best game I've ever played, 4 Dec 2011
This review is from: Final Fantasy XII (PS2) (Video Game)
I've always been a video game lover, and I always look out for the best game, I love a game that moves me, makes me jump, and I can understand the characters, this game is amazing and perfect for that, I've played on dragon quest and megaman command mission which have that separate battle system, which is ok but not my cup of tea, the battle system on this is actually very good, and it spooks me like megaman legends 2 did
the best game i have ever played!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
Final Fantasy XII (PS2) by Square Enix (PlayStation2)