5.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to carrots
I was a little skeptical about purchasing the Bresser Nightspy as I always presumed that to see properly see in the dark would require expensive equipment.

Published 17 months ago by R.Over

3.0 out of 5 stars fair
Focus a bit limited, images not very clear, I suppose you get what you pay for. Cant really recommend it.
Published 15 months ago by W. A. Clayton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to carrots, 20 Nov 2012
R.Over (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bresser Night Vision Device NightSpy 3x42 (Electronics)

I was truly amazed by the quality of vision this product delivers, I first tested it in a room that was pitch-black and I could see everything through the night-spy, even better with the infra-red turned on, this makes people look like the 'Most Haunted' lot.

Magnification isn't bad (3x42), the battery supplied (CR321A) won't last too long, I purchased 2 rechargeable batteries along with a compatible charger from a high street electrical supplier.

I work in security and lighting on my site isn't replaced as regular as I'd like. This year there were a number of travellers on the compound behind my site and the NightSpy really came in handy to keep an eye on them (Not that they were any trouble).

One word of advice, don't open the lens-cap in daylight, I did unknowingly and it says on the cap itself 'Do not open in daylight', but I trust nobody reading this review is as daft as I am.

All in all a brilliant purchase and I recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps me find wildlife in the dark for photography in the morning., 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Bresser Night Vision Device NightSpy 3x42 (Electronics)
All my life I have always wanted night vision, So after never having the cash to get the real thing, Recently I have been able to buy this.

It is good I would say, It works on a cloudy and rainy Scottish night (With the infrared light on) at about:

10-30 meters:
For details enough to see the facial expressions of a say rabbit and see what it is eating or watch it cleaning its face, flicking its paws.

30-50 meters:
For detail enough to know its rabbit but not really be close enough or bright enough see what it is up too. You can tell what you are looking at.

75-100 meters
For vague dull shapes, the only way at this distance you will know you are looking at wildlife is their eyes glow when the IR is on. You can even see eyes looking at you from inside a bush etc.

I found this handy when the rabbits scattered and ran for cover. I could still see the eyes looking at me thinking I did not know where they were, but I did.

You probably will not know what the eyes belong to at this distance as most of the image is blurry however; The eyes are still like looking at green led lights that are the shape of whatever animal's eyes it is, This helps you sneak closer.

If you are good at identifying wildlife just by their eye shape then you should be OK at this distance.
I think i mostly mix up cats and foxes as their eye shape looks similar.

To get the eyes glowing thing to work they need to be looking in your direction for the IR to reflect off the eyes if they aren't looking they only have a subtle glint which can be hard to pick out from other reflecting stuff in a Forrest like raindrops on leaves or cans of juice. Basically anything with a reflective surface can reflect in a similar way but usually not as bright. The more the animals is looks directly at you the brighter the glow is.

You can think your following a rabbit then find out it was just a drop of water on a leaf, however if it moves you know it's alive :-)

The eye thing does not seem to work with birds I tried it on a robin but its eyes did not glow, Not sure if there eyes work differently or if it is just so small there was not much to look at. However, it works on the following I have found:

Rabbits, Cats, Foxes, Dogs, Humans, Sheep, Cows.
It may work on bigger birds or birds of prey. I have not tested on hedgehogs or badgers because I have not found any yet.

I find I have to have the IR switched on most of the time accept in a full moon as it seems to work without the IR in those conditions. It is a tad difficult to focus, as you need to focus at the ring on the front as well as at the ring on the back/eye piece but you get used to it.

However at first it is a little tricky and you might think they are broken. It takes a while to work out the right mix from the back and the front. Once you get the back right you usually don't have to move it much after the first calibration.
I think the back is just to calibrate the scope to your eyes and then the front is just like focusing binoculars or any scope. I the back does move if bumped, So you might find you need to re sync if your getting blurry images. a few people have said to stick an elastic band round the eye piece part to make it less sensitive.

I've been using it most nights for a 2 weeks solid, Turning it on to scan then straight off when not using. The battery is still not needing replaced, So I reckon if you don't turn it on and walk around when not using. Only turn on to do quick sweeps then back off it will last ages.

It has a mounting bracket on the side which I think is for either a tripod or for mounting a stand-alone IR torch for extra power. I think if you added one of these big IR guns onto the side it would boost this scopes power by about double but I've not needed this type of extra power as I find the out of the box power enough.

It is very lightweight and it just fits with a bit of a squeeze into my combat/cargo trouser pocket.
If you keep it in the case it will not fit in a pocket easy but will hang on your belt hook as it has a bit for a belt to go through, it also has a shoulder strap in case you want to sling it instead.

Only thing I didn't like and it's just a minor flaw is the lens cap falls off easy and has no lanyard its fell off a few times in a dark forest and I've had to use the scope to find it with the IR. The cap sticks out like a sore thumb from the background however. So although it's easy to come off at the lightest nudge it's also easy to find.

However, If that type of thing bothers you then add a lanyard to your cap.

If I had the chance to buy this again I would no regrets on the purchase, it does what I wanted and Helps me find wildlife in the dark for photography in the morning. Also great fun the house with all the lights off which was the first thing I did to test it out :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars seeing in the dark, 10 May 2012
This review is from: Bresser Night Vision Device NightSpy 3x42 (Electronics)
Wow. what a peace of kit. No light and still able to see the foxes and badger playing in the field behind the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I chose this one., 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Bresser Night Vision Device NightSpy 3x42 (Electronics)
I have been looking as these night vision scope collection for ages now but couldn't make my mind up. Until now. This NightSpy seemed to have very good overall reviews so I bit the bullet and ordered one. Well when it cane I had to send it back straight away as the power buttons didn't work but I gat a replacement the very next day, no quibble. This one worked straight out of the box. Never owned one before so was taken by surprise when started to use this one even just in our back garden.IR off you get a great image through the eye piece, focusing is easy and there is hardly any weight. When I turned the IR on... Wow. You can see everything. Watch tv when they have shown these but just thought they had touched up the image but not now I have my own. The image is green, easy to focus, no distortion in the entire field of view and you get a really crisp picture. Wish I had got one ages ago, but with a lot of them I was put off by the reviews. I can easily recommend this Bresser NightSpy 3x42

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it does, 18 Dec 2012
This review is from: Bresser Night Vision Device NightSpy 3x42 (Electronics)
Bought this for the night time nosey. great price and the clarity is very good. Why pay stupid prices for others that does the same.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money!, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Bresser Night Vision Device NightSpy 3x42 (Electronics)
For the money this is a great item, I paid 108 from Amazon, the nearest other brand is probably 180 which is the Yukon.

The image is clear and bright, I use this for shooting so the IR illuminator is actually no good for distances over 25 yards, for anything further you need this!

[...]

It is an IR laser Illuminator for 35, you cannot find these any cheaper anywhere else, this extends the range of the night vision unit up to quite a few hundred yards, its good for spotting eyes, not necessarily bodies so what you have to do is use this to see any eyes about and squeak them in (foxes) once you get them in to about 100 yards you will see if it is a fox or a cat. (Obviously you need to make sure you are shooting legal quarry here,do not go shooting at any pair of eyes!) The laser unit gives a rectangular shaped beam, you do get used to this.

The only reason this does not get 5 stars is that the focusing ring on both the ocular and the lens itself are too easy to move and you usually have to refocus each time you get it out of the case, it's fine if you are careful with it though.

I would also say that 3X magnification is not perfect for spotting foxes, the 5X unit might suit it better but that is more money! You can see out to about 100 yards with real clarity, after this you are only spotting eyes like I said before.

Great unit for the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, 3 Jan 2012
This review is from: Bresser Night Vision Device NightSpy 3x42 (Electronics)
this was a prsent for my brother for christmas. It works great with no problems atol and works very well especily in the pitch black.

5.0 out of 5 stars Night spy, 4 Sep 2012
Kit Carson (Cardenden, Fife) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bresser Night Vision Device NightSpy 3x42 (Electronics)
Brill nightspy by bresser cannot fault same does what it says on the box seen wildlife that u usually only see on tv

5.0 out of 5 stars Bresser NightSpy Amazing, 9 Nov 2012
Mr. Rupert W. R. Atkins "boom123" (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bresser Night Vision Device NightSpy 3x42 (Electronics)
This is a brilliant piece of kit, perfect for lamping at night. can sot the rabbits from way off, and see there eyes gleem with the infrared! Buy Buy Buy, such fun, had now for 6 months and decided to come back to review. battery life very good, have not had to change yet. very good price, and one of the top makes apparently.

3.0 out of 5 stars fair, 31 Dec 2012