on 23 June 2007
I was one of the many that grew up watching Teenage mutant ninja turtles and got caught up in the whole TMNT phenomenon back in the late 80s and the early 90s. That being said, the craze escalated when the guys in green migrated to the big screen and spanned over 2 sequels, which to my opinion didn't match up the level of polish the first one was.

Yes, my family and I watched the new TMNT movie and I was, once again, one of the few or many that wasn't keen about the whole CGI transition and it just looked too kiddie cartoon to me. However, being a fan I am, I went to see the movie anyways because I always have a soft spot for my green heroes. The first live action movie still has a lot of charm to it, although it is almost 2 decades old, and it is really close to the comic book origins. I still, up to this day, have goose bumps while watching it and the one liners still makes me laugh. I realized now why the first one is such classic and the rest just fall flat - the sequels were toned down a bit and they weren't as gritty and mature as the first one was.

Now we are with TMNT - a rival attempt to the franchise- now let me say I totally enjoyed this movie and I think the transition from live to CGI was best suited for the following reasons: 1. It is easier for the viewer to be caught up in the illusion as opposed to the live actions films because we knew that the turtles were fake - guys in rubbery suits...

2. We finally grasp the sense of the turtles being ninjas - in the old films their movements were limited because of the obvious, but here they're more agile and realistic in terms of fighting.

3. Because it is CGI the imagination, scenery, fights can go wild because the sky is the limit with CG as opposed to live action..

I can go on and on, but the movie just fit right with this style of filming. I really enjoyed the interaction with the turtles - Leo character fits right as I remembered him to be; Raf seems complex and different from the bunch, which is true the comics; Donnie, although not much character development, seems to be the same old Don as I remembered him to be; and then there is Mikey....I love this guy as well as Master Splinter even though he look likes Chester Cheetah (from the Cheetos commercials). The comic relief of the film...He's cute, cool, mellow, and just a knuckle head. The animation is top notch, the turtles looked amazing and even more so than the human characters - which needs a lot of work because they looked rather rigid to me. Over all nice work, this movie is must see to all turtle fans.
on 9 February 2008
I hired this from amazon just to put my new playstation 3 and 1080p tv to the test, as i had already read a few reviews praising the quality of the image on this movie. But in all honesty it even passed my expectations, to the point that i am now going to buy it. I can assure you i am very hard to impress when it comes to picture quality, in fact i nit-pick almost every film i watch, but with this movie, i found nothing to moan about visually, and i think that's a first for me. Stunning detail, wonderful colour tones, and deep blacks, and animation that flows beautifully and smooth. The panoramic shots of the city from the roofs are incredible, as is the fight in the rain sequence. The whole movie in my opinion is pure demo material. I admit like many others the story could have been a lot better, but i think the problem here is that it looks so good, that the above average story here is passed off as below average. In short the story/plot just simply cant match up to the quality of the image, but the truth is the story is actually quite good, had it not been, i wouldn't buy it. I think critics of this movie should try and remember that this is a cartoon with cartoon characters and that it is meant to be fun. So enjoy, because "It is great fun."
on 6 June 2007
It's been quite a while since the turtles had a movie, and in their 3d form, they're a lot more agile, adept, muscular and endearing. Although a lot of fans were disappointed when they heard shredder wasn't in it, but credit to the director for taking it in a new direction - and hey, there's always potenital for a well earned sequel. I saw this film with 3 other lads, and it all scored well for us, more particularly for those who grew up with the show. From a technical standpoint, the camera work is great, and animation believable, the monsters are really actually cool plus the plot turns are well thought out, you really feel for the characters. On a side note, I would have liked to have seen one of the turtles get really bashed up, but then the kids wouldn't have, so...anyway the drama keeps you watching.

I do feel that our fellow sensei character didn't feature enough in this film, but it's understandable owing to the fact that the story is about the re-uniting of the turtles, and how Leonardo learns to direct himself and his brothers, and not someone else. Thus, there's a good family and team message to top it all off.

Personally, I enjoyed the sarcasm and humour, especially from our abounding Michelangelo, plus a funny montage from Donatello. I rather hope they make another sequel in 3D, because I'll be pre-ordering this today and reliving the fantasy of my childhood as I put in on to play - let's just hope they put some decent extras in to a 2-disc version!
on 16 October 2013
Ive been a fan of the Ninja Turtles since i was a kid. The original movie still holds up extremely well, in my opinion. In TMNT it finally gets the sequel it deserves!
I wont bore you with plot synopsis here, you can read that anywhere. Just let me list my top three reasons why i think this movie rocks!
1. Leo & Raph's rain drenched rooftop fight. Something a lot of fans, have waited a long time to see, sibling rivalry finally boils over in the only way it can, when those brothers happen to be Ninja. Beautifully animated, choreographed, & full of dramatic tension, this is the real highlight of the movie.
2. Raph's diner battle with the Jersey Devil. Violent, funny & a real pleasure to watch. That its soundtracked by Ram Jam's "Black Betty" (albeit a new cover version.) only adds to the awesomeness!
3. The voice cast. Patrick Stewart, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Chris Evans and the late, great Mako ( Conan- the Arnie ones!) lending his distinctive pipes to Splinter. 'Nuff said! Highly recommended, its like Turtles 3 never happened. Which can only be a good thing!
on 15 March 2008
This is a good movie to contnue the TMNT movie saga. The CGI is fantastic, especially the Raph VS Leo scene. The plot is a little bit shakey, but the worst part of this movie is the SERIOUS lack of Shredder.Ok he is mentioned at the start and end of the movie, but to make this movie a BIG hit, I think Shredder should have been in it. I know that they want to have him in the next one (thats if there is a next one), but here's hoping!
on 19 November 2013
We had never seen this version of the TMNT until we got this DVD , The story was different from the TMNT of the 80's Cartoon/Films and the New Version Cartoon at the time 2003-2009 , It was a new approach or different story line maybe set after the Films !! I'm not sure , Over all my Kids loved it , I did like some of it ,But not the story , The way the Turtles looked was good ,The movie was in CGI ,That was pretty good too , The voice actors were very good also ,But it just lacked a bit of Action (I know it was a kid Movie) and No shredder ,For me you have to have The Shredder ! All of the Gang was there!! The Turtles ,Splinter ,April and Casey but that was it , The new villain was just ok ! I must say the film was well made and had some good one liners too , That why I gave it 4 Stars .
on 25 February 2008
On DVD this looked great, on Blu Ray it looks amazing. If you want to show off a CGI movie on your HDTV to impress people, you can't go wrong with this. The animation was always impressive but with Blu Ray you can now see just how much work went into each scene, one of the highlights being the rooftop fight in the rain between Leonardo and Raphael, you can see every drop that lands on them! As for the movie, well it's under rated, it's got great characters, a great story and excellet action set pieces. It really shows up a lot of the Pixar copy-cat movies that always seem to show up after Disney have a smash hit. I would rate this up there with classics such as Toy Story and The Incredibles. Cowabunga!
on 25 May 2011
My 4-year-old saw this on TV and it just caught his imagination right away. Since we bought the DVD he's watched it almost every day and never seems to tire of the nonstop action this movie offers. As a Dad, I remember growing up with the original Turtles so I was able to see right away that this movie is very different to those of 'yore', however it's far more action-packed and I guess if the Director and Creators were reading this review I couldn't give it any higher praise than a four year old little boy declaring it the best DVD he's "ever seen, ever!"

If you have a little boy who's pretty hyper, loves things like Sonic, this should be right up their street.
on 29 June 2007
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are back in this all new action packed movie. Tech-industrialist Max Winters is amassing an army of ancient monsters to apparently take over the world, and only one super-ninja fighting team can stop them -- those heroes in a half shell--Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello and Raphael! With the help of their rat sensei, Master Splinter, and old allies April O'Neil and Casey Jones, the TMNT are in for the fight of their lives in this all new CG-animated action adventure movie. With a fantastic voice cast including Sarah Michelle Gellar, Patrick Stewart.

A funny film for everyone to enjoy!
on 26 October 2007
As a fan of TMNT as a kid, I adore this film. The animation is fantaastic and although it focuses on Leo and Raph a bit much and has almost no focus on Don or Mikey, the character development and plot are also brilliant. One thing that annoyed me abotu this DVD though was the fact that for almost all of the special features (the deleted scenes), I could not find a way to turn the commentary off, which drove me mad. I wanted to listen to the dialogue in the scenes, not to some guy telling me why they decided to drop them! The extras on the DVD were ok, but hopefully the special edition will contain much more.