5.0 out of 5 stars Murray's All Gold
How did our little show with its solid history in the use of sound and music become this big television event, scored in such a wonderful way? It's really an achievement.

Published on 10 Nov 2007 by F. Collins

2.0 out of 5 stars tired
it's alright for die-hard fans, but it's got the distinct whiff of 'hey, we're the bbc, we don't care what rubbish we put out there - we just want your money. MOAR MONIES!"

the soundtrack of series 2 was good, this one feels forced and it doesnt have the memorable songs that the series 2 soundtrack does.
Published on 24 Nov 2010 by Miss E. Chambers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Murray's All Gold, 10 Nov 2007
F. Collins (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 3 (Audio CD)

This is a lush soundtrack with Gold certainly remaining inventive even whilst fully embracing the use of orchestra and choir. It's certainly worth getting this CD if, like me, you do want to hear the full range of the music which when married to the overall soundtrack often gets suffocated in the mix. You only get the tip of the iceberg on telly and I feel this is an opportunity to get closer to the music.

The early highlights for me are certainly 'All The Strange Strange Creatures' and 'Martha's Theme'. The former a surging, building theme that underlines the nature of the journey and the battle between good and evil and the latter is so wonderful with those vocals from Melanie Pappenheim.

'Boe' is so lovely. Again, the choral motif really sells this along with the acoustic guitar and the string sections. It captures something about the wisdom and ancient foreknowledge of the character.

I'm not so keep on the music for 'Evolution Of The Daleks'. I just feel we've been here before with all the choral chanting, which is obviously a motif for those denizens of Skaro. I like the songs and feel they add a fresh dimension to the series and look forward to hearing more in the fourth series. Certainly, they work as period pieces like 'Devil In Me' used for 'Daleks In Manhattan'. Although, I think I prefer the Miranda Raison vocal for some reason. 'The Stowaway' isn't bad either and it'll be intriguing to see how this fits into the Xmas Special.

The centrepieces of the CD are for me the music for 'Human Nature/Family Of Blood' and 'Utopia', 'Sound Of Drums' and 'Last Of The Time Lords'. For the former, Gold goes for an English pastoral feel with a romantic core, quite apt in the use of a smaller chamber orchestra. Very 'Beatles' influenced too if you listen hard enough. I'm all for the whistling - again this reminds me of the music for 'Georgy Girl' - very English psychedelia. 'Only Martha Knows' is brilliant as it goes from tenderness and Martha's nonchalance to a restless, surging and dark undercurrent with those fantastic string sections and the percussion. An utter delight.

The restlessness is further underpinned in the following two tracks, great use of driving percussion and strings, very reminiscent of Bernard Hermann and with some great brass flourishes too. The military feel of 'Just Scarecrows To War' with the drums and woodwinds is superb and really connects to themes in the story which is what a good composer should be doing.

Gold gets the real tragedy into 'Miss Joan Redfern' with that treated piano. You can feel the longing of the character especially when the woodwind and strings come in. Lovely and very moving. 'The Dream Of A Normal Death' is again exquisite in its exploration of the themes of the story - unfulfilled longing, love and 'what might have been' - with distant choral sections and strings and that treated piano again.

'The Doctor Forever' opens a further series of tracks that stand out on ths CD. A reprise of themes, including Martha's, with a great Irish jig motif, using some great brass, that captures the Doctor's energy and optimism. This takes us through a real range of musical emotions and concludes with a great fanfare.

'Blink' is subtle and tender. Worth it just for the use of bassoon to represent the disturbing setting of the story. It then powers up with strident strings in the middle and then plunges us back into the threatening suffocation of the angels.

'The Runaway Bride' is plain Hollywood pizzazz, with nods to Hermann and Waxman with its brass and strings. There's even a bit of Bondian Barry in there with the little trumpet motifs. And that incredible lift and soaring section when the TARDIS appears and the Doctor rescues Donna. It underlines that 'punch the air' moment. 'After The Chase' again has some subtle Barry like motifs and has his tenderness.

'The Futurekind' is fuzzy guitar, mad drums and pell-mell brass that forms the build up motif to the conclusion of 'Utopia' and I remember being impressed by this whilst watching the episode as it has the effect of building expectation into the audience. This is then echoed in 'Yana' with the return of the 'All The Strange Creatures' motif and some great wild vocals. 'The Master Vainglorious' is full of wild interpretations and devices, swirling strings, electronics and an almost 'Looney Tunes' simplicity with the underlying themes brought to a crescendo of brass, strings and those Oz like themes and rhythms.

I love the graduating brass in 'Martha's Quest' and the twinkling bits of percussion and the sweeping strings that fall and rise and then restart. There some nice woodwind and brass sections that give us that epic scope to the character's journey.

For me 'This Is Gallifrey' is stunning. The acoustic through line, the growing strings and strident percussion and brass that again fall back and repeat. Lovely woodwinds that develop the theme too with stirring strings that are full of lost pride and melancholy. We are truly listening to a lost and noble civilisation and the final corruption of the Master with the unfettered schism of the time vortex making its presence felt through punchy brass. Outstanding piece of music.

'Martha Triumphant' concludes the character's journey with a reprise of her theme but this time very cleverly giving us a finer, more mature sounding version that sums up the lessons she's learned. 'Donna's Theme' is great Gershwinesque brass and percussive playfulness, summing up the scatterbrained nature of the character and I hope some of this survives into the next series.

A pity that more of 'The Master Tape' didn't find its way into the episodes. Great chugging strings and percussion that increase in speed over several sections. Brass punches and tinkly percussion, various stabs and accents that accumulate into stuttering conclusion. Is it me or does much of the music for the last three episodes have a mad, Wizard Of Oz, almost Looney Tunes quality to it? It sums up the Master's pathology very nicely.

And finally, 'Abide With Me'. Lovely.

Overall, a further testament to Murray Gold's fantastic work on the series, treat yourself to this CD, and to all the naysayers out there who have had doubts about his suitability for the job, well you can stick to Peter Howell playing the theme with paper and comb if you like, but this is epic, tender and soulful and you really are missing out on an essential element that makes the current series the success it truly is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 23 Nov 2007
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 3 (Audio CD)
Is it me, or this even better than his work for series 2? How can you not fall in love with "Boe", "Martha's Quest", "Only Martha Knows" and the most beautiful track on here: "This is Gallifrey: Our Childhood, Our Home"? You can hear the motion picture quality in tracks like "The Master Vainglorious" - and where would series three have been without these momentous melodies? The infamous "Yana" music, "Martha's Theme", ever-present and now forever tied in with "The Doctor's Theme" from previous series to give us "The Doctor Forever", the "Blink" suite, the complete snapshot that is "All The Strange Creatures". Just 'wow'.
What a way to remember the entire series - the highs, the lows, the pure unadulterated joy of the fun and excitement that was series three.
I agree with the other reviewers here - where's the "Casanova" series CD? More of Mr Gold, I say, and quickly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outdoes the series 1/2 soundtrack by far. Great stuff., 12 Jan 2008
Joseph Siegler (Garland, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 3 (Audio CD)
Unlike some others here, I'll avoid the temptation to make a "Gold" joke about this. :)

The revived Doctor Who's third series (the 2007 one) is represented by this soundtrack. It contains a little beyond the third season, it has a song from the Dec 25, 2006 Christmas episode, as well as the Dec 25, 2007 Christmas episode (which at the time it came out was before the story had aired). This soundtrack, like the other one was done by composer Murray Gold, who has handled all the music for the new Doctor Who.

It's turned out to be fabulous. It's orchestral unlike the old series. That could be down to budget, but the old show's music never sounded like this, and I'm convinced it's a large part of the overall feel of the series now. There's all kinds of things on here. There's a few actual songs (with lyrics), but most is soundtrack stuff - and it's really good. As with the series itself, the third series (29th overall) soundtrack is better than the stuff that preceded it.

If you were a fan of the 2007 series of Doctor Who, then you should be all means check it out. I know lot a lot of people like listening to soundtracks (mostly because of there being no lyrics), but this is fantastic! Even my two year old loves listening to this, and she's never seen the show! When track 2 comes on, "Hey, it's Martha's song!"

One minor nit, though.. The show tune number from the Dalek episode "Daleks in Manattan" is here (My Angel put the Devil in Me). Unfortunately, it's not the original version. The woman who sang the song from the Christmas 2007 episode sings it here (Yamit Mamo), and while it's a good version, it's not the original. I really wish the original version was on here instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE OTHER GOLD STANDARD, 3 Jan 2008
Amazon Customer (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 3 (Audio CD)
Another brilliant DOCTOR WHO soundtrack from MURRAY GOLD. And if this composer has a single unmelodic bone in his body, well, I've yet to hear it on disc.

The music for Series Three demonstrates once again just how key it is to the ongoing success of DOCTOR WHO. Going right back to THE PARTING OF THE WAYS, could you imagine CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON's Doctor, having just absorbed the time vortex from ROSE TYLER via a life-saving kiss then blowing the energy back into the heart of the TARDIS, without that achingly beautiful piece to accompany the visuals? No? Me neither. It hits the spot every time.

So, too, in Series Three's finest single episode, THE FAMILY OF BLOOD. The music that accompanies the dissolve from the WW1 battlefield to the Veterans' Memorial Service (THE DOCTOR FOREVER) combines to deliver such an emotional impact that it's virtually impossible not to be brought to tears. Of course, the point here is 'combines'. There's no doubt that Gold's music is a complete success in it's own right, but ultimately the benefits of being able to 'picture' events as conjoured up by every crescendo, con brio and affettuoso is the lifeblood of all great motion picture soundtracks. Even JAWS.

Action and adventure forms a major part of the proceedings here and Gold is so bursting with ideas that on occasion you're left feeling a bit Oliver Twist-y, wanting more, wishing certain phrases were repeated because they're so exciting and addictive. ALL THE STRANGE, STRANGE CREATURES immmediately brings a smile to the face for being both strident and cheeky, and its placement in pole position is perfectly judged, ideal for our second trip into the Wonderland occupied by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales.

Standout tracks? Well, don't be too surprised when I say that pretty much every track is a winner. For me at least, it really is a case of listening from start to finish, however...if absolutely pushed on the matter, then I would have to place GALLIFREY: OUR CHILDREN, OUR HOME right at the top of pile...amongst those gleaming citadel spires, within the mountains of solace and solitude, along the continent of wild endeavour. Sorry. But you'll know exactly what I mean when you hear it.

I suppose there's really only one thing missing from this album - and it is indeed conspicuous for being absent: yes, the new ramped-up opening titles theme. Guitars and a heavy drumbeat combine to...well, between you, me and the Helmic Regulator, let's just say it rocks. Didn't see that one coming, Murray, but where is it when you need it? Next Christmas? Fair enough.

Gold is Britain's best and most important contemporary film composer - right up there with the Horners, Elfmans and Goldsmiths of this world (sadly, in Jerry's case, the NEXT world) - which is unquestionably great news for the continuing success of DOCTOR WHO...and even better news for us.

The other Gold Standard. Buy it now.

UNRESERVEDLY RECOMMENDED

5.0 out of 5 stars Murray Gold is "fantastic", 11 Nov 2007
James E. Karakitsos "jakara51" (hazlet, nj USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 3 (Audio CD)
The previous review's are so comprehensive there is little I can add except to say I think so much of Murray Gold and this Doctor Who soundtrack that I imported it from Amazon.UK since it is not currently available from Amazon in the united States where I reside. It's even better then the Doctor Who soundtrack from series one and two. The first soundtrack was so good I had imported that one as well when it was first released although it is now available in the U.S.
Now I hope a soundtrack from Torchwood will be released soon. That series has some awesome music and I will pre order it from Amazon U.K. without hesitation.
In the meantime I will continue to enjoy both Doctor Who soundtracks which are the pride of my music collection.
P.S. Amazon UK is a great place to order from when an item is not available in the United States and you live there like I do. I received my shipment in 5 days and thats even faster then some local merchants I have delt with. Thanks Amazon.UK

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll keep this short and simple, 24 Dec 2007
R. Parsons "bobparsonage" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 3 (Audio CD)
I am a huge fan of film soundtrack score music (the classical pieces of music created by geniuses to go alongside motion pictures to make them feel just amazing). Murray Gold is one of these such geniuses. This album features an incredible array of music that could partner any film and probably win him an Oscar for it. The tracks "All The Strange, Strange Creatures", "Boe", "YANA" and "This Is Gallifrey" are some of the most emotion-stirring compositions I have ever heard. Whether you're a Doctor Who fan or not, maybe if you're just a soundtrack fan, you simply must buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars I look forward now each year to a release of Murray Gold for the Holidays!, 26 Dec 2007
Helyx (Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 3 (Audio CD)
I enjoyed the first Doctor Who - Murray Gold CD as a gift from some friends who picked it up for me while they were in London just before Christmas. So, even though I did not get to see the Runaway Bride Episode - I did get to enjoy the spirit and feeling of the Doctor Who shows from Murray Gold's wonderfully orchestrated scores. I am still enjoying that CD.

I feel this year Murray Gold further experimented in his arrangements with more boldness, freedom and some sultry JAZZ! You can not hear his music and not feel great inside, and also a bit of British Pride.

I looked forward all this year to getting the new Doctor Who CD of Murray Gold, hoping that I would get it in time for Christmas. Yes, I did - some musical wishes come true. The Doctor Who Series 3 CD is a soundtrack album that not only reminds us of enjoyable moments of the Doctor Who series, but also the music gives you a sense of hope in the middle of winter, even when bad mannered aliens just seem to want to cause us chaos each Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor (Who doesn't think this is a brilliant soundtrack?), 1 Jan 2009
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 3 (Audio CD)
This soundtrack is brilliant. As a doctor who fan (the clue's in my name), I really love listening to the music - it reminds you of the great scenes there have been in Series 3. They are really amazing tracks. With other soundtracks, the soundtracks are barely recognseable. Not so with this one. Unfortunately, some of the good music from the series was released in the Series 1 and 2 Soundtrack. But this CD is still available. I do advise you buy both (you get the theme tune with that one!). But this CD is something special. It has 28 in all, with great unrecognizable tracks such as Martha's theme, to a sneak preview of 2007's Runaway bride, with Stowaway. Some of the great music is a bit short- there is loads of the track YANA- but on the CD there is only an excerpt. Bit of a shame.
But other brilliant pieces include the gloriously long 'This is Gallifrey'. Love that one. I don't really know what it is, but it's truly brilliant. You can preview all of these tracks on Amazon, somewhere on this very page. It also includes a big kind of montage- the trailer music, which incorporates a lot of the themes from the series.

A must for any fan of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for Doctor Who fans!, 15 Aug 2008
Chantal Lyons "C.S. Lyons" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 3 (Audio CD)
The Doctor Who music just keeps getting better and better. The album begins with the track 'All The Strange, Strange Creatures', an overall theme for the entire series. It's very fun to listen to. There are so many good tracks on this album, it's hard to pick a few and write about them. 'The Carrionites Swarm', 'Boe', 'Yana', 'Martha's Quest' and 'This Is Gallifrey: Our Childhood, Our Home' are the ones that stand out for me. They are epic and profound, and very addictive. A previous reviewer complained that the song 'My Angel Put The Devil In Me' (for the episode Daleks Of Manhattan') was sung by a different woman to the one who sung it in the actual episode, but I prefer the album version. A very enjoyable song to listen to. The other song on the album, 'Stowaway', is rather too Christmas-y and un-Doctor Who-ish for me but every album has its ups and downs. 'Blink' is different in its tone to most of the other tracks, but it's a chilling piece of music nonetheless (and quite sad, in a way, in the beginning). I can only hope a series 4 soundtrack will be released soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars y good, thanks mister Murray gold!, 10 Sep 2009
Bernabe "Elise" (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 3 (Audio CD)
I love Murray Gold's music, I think what he does for doctor who is great, the show is already the best but he makes it even better via his music. My favorites songs are Martha's quest, and dream of a normal life. I don't rate it with the highest level because series 1, 2 and for have even better music but I love it too. Enjoy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Doctor Who: Series 3
Doctor Who: Series 3 by Murray Gold (Audio CD - 2007)