4.0 out of 5 stars Mondaine Swiss Railway Watch

Published on 3 Aug 2012 by Rob B

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Mondaine and rain, 3 Aug 2012
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
Be warned these watches are not water resistant. 6 months after I got the watch it started to steam up, it did last another year before it gave out. I took it to a Mondaine retailer for a new battery but that didn't fix it. I sent it away for repair under warranty only to be told it was damaged during an attempted battery change but if I gave them £45 they would fix it. Great looking watch but only for dry countries.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mondaine Swiss Railway Watch, 3 April 2009
D. McAuley "D Mac." (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
I got this watch because it is very easy to read. My one is also extremely accurate - less than a second out in six months, though I don't know if they are all as good. Feels well made. Strap a bit short, I had to change mine. One minor irritation - the date has to be reset at the end of every month, even ones with 31 days, otherwise because of the way the "Big Date" feature works the watch will continue counting days up to 39, followed by 00, before starting at 01 again. Styling based on the Hilfiker Swiss railways clock designed back in the 1940s may not be to everyone's taste - try to see one in the flesh before you buy. I'm very happy with mine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mondaine watches lose time, 30 Sep 2012
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
I bought a Mondaine watch on Amazon. It looked very stylish but I have returned it because it consistently lost time time over the three months that I had it. It seems ridiculous that Mondaine can produce a quartz watch that loses time - even the cheapest quartz watches keep great time and this one cost me £123.13.

Luckily I bought the watch from Amazon and so there was no hassle about returning it and getting a refund.

3.0 out of 5 stars A design classic with annoying design flaws, 2 Aug 2012
PB (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
The Mondaine Big Date is a design classic. Simple, elegant, functional - easy to read and highly accurate with a Swiss quartz movement. The leather strap is soft and comfortable, the details, such as the red crown and boxy lugs, are lovely. However, very annoyingly, the date goes from 1... 2... 3... etc. to 29... 30... 31... 32... 33... all the way up to 39 and then cycling to 00. So, after the end of the month (28th/29th, 30th or 31st) you have to reset the date. Every month. Yes, every month! This is a "design feature" and documented in the Mondaine literature. It's very irritating when you buy a Swiss watch for watchmaking excellence. It's inordinately annoying to me. You might prefer a non-date version of the watch such as Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch. I think I might have.

A few things which I find surprising for watch at this price - it is not at all water resistant. Not 100m, not 50m, not 10m... probably not even shower resistant, which is a bare minimum. The back comes off with a simple lever action (i.e. it's not screwed in) and the watch is delivered running (it really should have the crown pulled out). It's a lovely looking watch, but it should be much better. Looks alone are not enough at this price.

4.0 out of 5 stars On time at last, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
I had fancied a Swiss Railways watch ever since riding the Swiss trains and seeing them depart exactly as the red second blob came up to 12 o'clock on the station clock. I was delighted to receive one for a Christmas present but disappointed to find that it didn't work. The replacement is fine but the returns voucher did not cover the price of the new watch as the reductions pre- Christmas were not carried forward for the replacement.

2.0 out of 5 stars Date failure, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
Date system packed up after only three months, very poor.
Reading other reviews suggest this is a design problem.
I'd expected the Swiss to know how to make watches.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic of minimalist design, 6 Mar 2010
Bernardette Lugner (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
This is the opposite of those "boys' watches" with multiple dials and silly bezels. It is plain and functional. That means I can read the time and even see the seconds hand without putting on my reading glasses. The calendar display is bigger than you usually get, too. Wearing this watch is a design statement, and it is nice to know that you own a classic piece which is outside the world of fashion. The comfortable leather strap is of high quality, with a large buckle, and you can buy a replacement when it wears out.* Accuracy is excellent, so I expect to adjust the time only when the clocks go forward or back, but alas -- the date has to be reset every month and the crown is small and slippery, so the mechanical design is not quite up to the visual design. I love the thing, but can only give 4 stars.

* Added two years on...watch is working perfectly, and the tough crystal is unscratched, but the leather strap began looking tatty. I have bought a Mondaine woven metal strap, found a YouTube showing me how to remove/replace the strap myself, and it now looks great again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Classic design, unreliable mechanism?, 14 April 2009
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
I got this watch because i love the simple design. Easy to read and very striking. But i was very disappointed to find the the date could not be changed due to a fault in the mechanism. All the more disappointing since it was a replacement for the slightly smaller version which i bought the week before, only to find that it had the same problem.

The manufacturers confirmed that this is an 'occasional' issue with the watch.

Sadly the supplier (Amazon) had not filled in the warranty so I had no option but to return it. Its a real pity but if you, like me, are taken by this beautiful watch be prepared for it not to work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Since when has August had 32 days?, 1 Sep 2012
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
I like the styling and feel of the watch on the wrist but since when has August or any other month had 32 days in it?
Maybe tomorrow it will show August having 33 days. Looks like I'll have to go against Bob the Builders advice and read the instructions, how sad is that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch very easy to read and don't need my ..., 3 Dec 2014
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
Excellent watch very easy to read and don't need my glasses to see the date! Am disappointed that the supplier did not fill in the their part of the guarantee card so just hope the guarantee is valid if something goes wrong.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›