5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful watch
This is a really splendid piece - very large, clear face with lovely smooth contours and slightly domed glass. The lack of external lugs for the strap further enhances the smooth, almost pebble-like quality. My only slight disappointment is that the second hand ticks rather than sweeps, but this is the tiniest of gripes - still worth five stars!
Published on 10 Sep 2009 by S. Walker

S. Walker (London) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic From Mondaine, 5 Dec 2011
Mansel Dinnis (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
The 'lugless' design makes this watch very comfortable to wear and its enlarged size offers an easy-read style reminiscent of a small pocket watch. My favourite watch. Excellent quality and very pleasing design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought one, 26 July 2013
Mondaine Giant watch

Before buying this watch, I spent a considerable time assessing which watches Mondaine make, which ones I liked the most, and the respective availability and prices of those models.

Deliberations about what permutations of day and date I wanted, I settled on a plain face. Whilst it is nice to have extensive functionality on a watch, there are chronographs, digital watches, smart phones, and even apple watches for that sort of thing. These watches mimic a design icon, the Swiss railway clock; with that in mind, a plain, striking uninterrupted face is what I chose.

Further choice is presented when choosing whether you would like a lugged or lugless watch body. Again, appreciative of the minimalistic aesthetic of the Swiss railway clock, I plumped for the giant, the only lugless model available.

The final decision was strap colour. White would get too grubby or require too much cleaning, red seems unavailable on the giant; black was he only remaining option, not that a brightly coloured strap or metal bracelet would enhance the appeal of this beguiling watch.

On delivery day, the opening process was a treat. The box is bold black and white, weighty item, with red accents. The lid lifts back to reveal the striking black and white face of your new watch, accented only by the mighty, bulbous red second hand and a tiny red rectangle beneath the Mondaine motif.

Removing the watch from the box, the bright body is pleasingly heavy without being cumbersome. It too is accented by a single point of red, the enamelled red crown with an `M' in silver. In contrast to the bold body, the strap is thin, fine, supple and elegant, seemingly disappearing beneath the giant face of the watch.

Putting the watch on, I was slightly dismayed to find that the strap only did up on the penultimate hole. My wrist is 20cm / 7.9" around. Men, or even women with larger wrists than me would need to buy a new 22mm leather strap that is longer than the original. This expense is not ideal but shouldn't put you off of buying the watch. Both Amazon and eBay offer a bounty of straps to fit this watch. The short `tail' pulled through the buckle of the strap means that the second, floating keeper I obsolete, perhaps I will remove it.

Adjusting the time on the watch is easy enough but the crown can feel very small and slippery as it lacks any knurling or texture.

The large, lightly domed glass atop the watch insures an unobstructed view of the beautiful face of the watch. My only worry is that it is the highest point of the watch and may become scratched or damaged if rubbed or bashed into things like walls and door frames. Durability is only established over time, but I haven't read of anyone breaking one yet...

Whilst I have tried to be as honest as I can, picking up all faults where possible, really, there aren't any. They are minor niggles that can be worked around. I bought this watch because it is aesthetically unique and completely different from my usual watches (Casio G-shocks). I bought this watch because I can't think of an occasion or event where it wouldn't be acceptable to wear it; for that reason it represents good value to me at just over 150 (considering what could be spent on a `smart' watch). I bought this watch on the strength of the reviews I have read.

Finally, I treated myself to this watch as I have wanted one for a long time and I am extremely pleased with it.

PS In a half hour lunch break, I got two compliments on the watch - which was nice...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch face, tiny strap., 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
The style of watch is excellent for me. The face is very clear to see/read from with no unnecessary clutter. I would have rated the watch as 5 star however the strap is very small and I am having to get a new strap fitted before I can wear it. My wrist is 8" circumference and to get the watch fastened it is a tight fit on the last hole of the strap. If I wasn't after this particular style of watch I would have sent it back but as I bought it on a lightning deal for less than 100 I can get an official extra long Mondaine strap fit and still save on the normal price. Would be handy if Amazon started to list strap sizes on watches really.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
I've been looking for a clear faced watch that I can read without squinting. I've been boring my friends since I got it by saying "have you seen my new watch!"

4.0 out of 5 stars NO SPECS NEEDED!, 12 April 2010
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
BOUGHT AS A GIFT FOR MY DAD WHO HAD SEEN IT IN A JEWELLERS AND LIKED IT. IT APPEALED TO HIM BECAUSE HE WOULDN'T NEED TO PUT HIS READING SPECS ON TO LOOK AT THE TIME WHEN OUT AND ABOUT! NICELY BOXED WATCH SO MAKES A GREAT GIFT - LOOK AT WATCH DIMENSIONS IN THE INFO TABLE THOUGH TO VISUALISE IT OTHERWISE YOU MAY BE SURPRISED AT THE SIZE!

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
After wearing this watch for a couple of weeks I tried to alter the time after travelling abroad. The whole crown and winding gear pulled out! Very fiddly crown, hard to grip and very small. Google this issue...it has happened before. Excellent service from Amazon who refunded original cost and return postage very promptly. Very disappointed as the watch is a real classic and admired by many of my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Design, 12 Jun 2010
Colin Rose - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
Apart from the 30's/40's design, a period that I love, the watch is made and finnished to the highest quality. Via Amazon I bought my watch from Nigel O'Hara, jewellers, of Portadown, NI.
Their service is beyond criticism as when I received the notification from Amazon that my order had been shipped I already had the watch on my wrist!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Jan 2014
All I wanted in watch
Minimalistic but good size
Easily read
Good contrast - pity hands were not luminous
Nice quality
Excellent time keeper

Nice strap but only just fits my wrist on last hole - Much to my surprise cannot get a genuine Mondaine larger strap - only one standard size made
Will havde to get 3rd part one and will change buckle when time comes to replace strap

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous, 30 Aug 2013
Steve Hayward (Guildford, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mondaine Gents Analogue strap watch (Watch)
Such a classy watch. I can count the amount of people that have complimented me on it, on three fingers - so I'm chuffed to bits.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›