5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be easier
I was shocked at how small this is! So easy for carrying around just in a pocket!

Published on 18 Aug. 2009 by James Standing

Published 3 months ago by Livvy M

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be easier, 18 Aug. 2009
James Standing (london) - See all my reviews

When I first opened it I was a little annoyed as it did not seem to be recognising the strings, or recognising them incorrectly. Having only picked up my first Uke, and therefore my first instrument, a matter of days ago... I did not quite realise about the different ways of tuning. A quick read let me know it had a switch and that was set to D tuning. Using my brain power I changed it to C and BAM... perfect and easy tuning every time. I haven't gone anywhere without it since, you just never know when someone will need their Uke tuning!

5.0 out of 5 stars It works a treat!, 5 Feb. 2008
Big Bry "Big Bry" (Peterborough United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What can you say? It does what it says on the tin. It's ideal for tuning your uke. It clips on the end of the fretboard and works by vibration - you just pick the strings in turn and it knows automatically which string you are picking and then allows you to tune it. Also, because it works on vibration, you can do it in a noisy room. A good little instrument. Doesn't take any learning - dead easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked a treat, 21 Nov. 2009
My uke had been lying around unused as I couldn't tune it correctly with pitch pipes. This gadget was easy to use, and got me tuned up quickly and learning the instrument properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product., 4 Mar. 2010
An ideal way to tune your ukulele, especially in a noisey environment. You simply clip it on to the head of the ukulele, make sure it is set to the correct key (either C or D), turn on and you are ready to go. The easy to read LED display clearly indicates if the string is in tune, too tight or too loose. It even has a power saving feature that turns the unit off after 5 minutes of no input. The unit is compact (only slightly larger than a small box of matches) and fits easily in your pocket or Uke bag. Much easier to use than pitch pipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought it!, 21 Feb. 2011
I will not repeat what has already been said by others. For me, a guy new to any string instrument, this little wizard has been a life saver. To sit in a Ukulele Group for the first time and be able to tune your Uke in a flash, makes one feel good. As you will discover with a Ukulele, it needs a lot of tuning until it settles in. I tune it regularly anyway and then immediately hear the improved sound.

It works!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars it's the tuning stupid, 4 Sept. 2009
i am not very good at all at tuning by ear, this lovely little thing is so easy to use...if you are like me you must purchase this, your uke will love you for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 4 May 2011
Peter Lee (Manchester ,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
What a buy! I'm teaching myself to play the ukulele at the moment and this is an invaluable gadget. It is absolutely tiny and works straight from the box. Once switched on you clip the tuner to the top of your ukulele by the tuning pegs and pluck a string. The tuner will light up to show which string you are tuning and it indicates whether you you need to tune up or down, and eventually a green light will show and you move onto the next string.

The tuner cleverly works off vibration rather than sound, so you can use it in noisy environments and it still works perfectly. A battery is supplied, and there is also a switch on the unit to select between C and D tuning.

A must-have for any ukulele player!

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to use, 3 May 2011
a very easy gadget to use. i have only taken up learning to play a musical instrument recently aged 55 and one big problem was tuning the ukuele but this has made it very simple. easy to use and good value

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware! No instructions. You have to work out for yourself how to use it., 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Cherub WST-550U Clip-On Ukulele Tuner (Electronics)
I was given a ukelele as a present along with this tuner. The tuner came with NO INSTRUCTIONS so I had to work out by trial and error what to do with it. It wasn't even clear to a dummy like me where to clip it on to. I spent an afternoon getting the uke tuned, but was still having problems. I decided to look up the internet and only then did I find a user's manual which revealed that there were two key settings, C and D. This is not obvious as the switch is hidden by a swivelling clip which I hadn't realised swivelled! Anyway, I found out that it was set to D by default and I wanted C, so back to square one. I could have saved HOURS if only it had come with instructions. VERY ANNOYING and not user-friendly!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential if you can't tune by ear!, 24 Nov. 2012
KWren "KWren" (Wye Valley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cherub WST-550U Clip-On Ukulele Tuner (Electronics)
I'm probably pretty much tone deaf but felt it was time I learned to play an instrument so ordered a ukelele and, totally essential, a tuner.

The uke arrived before the tuner so I spent my first day perusing internet sites explaining how to do this and playing correctly tuned strings to demonstrate what they should sound like. Try as I might, I couldn't match them and when I thought each string was 'nearly there', it still didn't sound right. Thankfully, the tuner arrived and my sanity was restored.

On clipping it on, at first it didn't recognise any string which confirms that I am not one of those musically-gifted people able to tune by ear and match pitches or tones played on a website. So, I simply tightened the strings to what seemed like a reasonable tension and, lo and behold, the Cherub tuner now recognised them and identified them. Illuminated LEDs showed whether I needed to tighten or loosen the strings until a green LED showed, at which point it was magically in tune.

So, having spent 3 days frustratedly struggling with internet sites and pitch pipes, this little gadget guided me through the tuning process from scratch in under 10 minutes. Now, because it's used daily and the uke is almost in tune each time I use it, the process takes less than 2 minutes. It really couldn't be easier. It's a wonderful little gadget and I'd still be floundering and playing a painfully out of tune ukelele if I didn't have it.

So, if you're a beginner like me and don't have a particularly musical ear - buy it. You won't regret it and it will save a lot of time and even more frustration!!

Cherub WST-550U Clip-On Ukulele Tuner