5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be easier
I was shocked at how small this is! So easy for carrying around just in a pocket!

Published on 18 Aug. 2009 by James Standing

1.0 out of 5 stars !Lacks Sensitivity! Not Fit for Purpose!
Having just purchased my first ukulele. I realised that I needed some means of tuning the Strings without overtightening and possibly breaking them I thought that the Cherub WST-550U electronic tuner would be a good idea....?!Very Big Mistake!? Check out the number of 1 to 4 star reviews!?
Published 18 months ago by SilverBack

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be easier, 18 Aug. 2009
James Standing (london) - See all my reviews

When I first opened it I was a little annoyed as it did not seem to be recognising the strings, or recognising them incorrectly. Having only picked up my first Uke, and therefore my first instrument, a matter of days ago... I did not quite realise about the different ways of tuning. A quick read let me know it had a switch and that was set to D tuning. Using my brain power I changed it to C and BAM... perfect and easy tuning every time. I haven't gone anywhere without it since, you just never know when someone will need their Uke tuning!

5.0 out of 5 stars It works a treat!, 5 Feb. 2008
Big Bry "Big Bry" (Peterborough United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What can you say? It does what it says on the tin. It's ideal for tuning your uke. It clips on the end of the fretboard and works by vibration - you just pick the strings in turn and it knows automatically which string you are picking and then allows you to tune it. Also, because it works on vibration, you can do it in a noisy room. A good little instrument. Doesn't take any learning - dead easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked a treat, 21 Nov. 2009
My uke had been lying around unused as I couldn't tune it correctly with pitch pipes. This gadget was easy to use, and got me tuned up quickly and learning the instrument properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars it's the tuning stupid, 4 Sept. 2009
i am not very good at all at tuning by ear, this lovely little thing is so easy to use...if you are like me you must purchase this, your uke will love you for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 4 May 2011
Peter Lee (Manchester ,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
What a buy! I'm teaching myself to play the ukulele at the moment and this is an invaluable gadget. It is absolutely tiny and works straight from the box. Once switched on you clip the tuner to the top of your ukulele by the tuning pegs and pluck a string. The tuner will light up to show which string you are tuning and it indicates whether you you need to tune up or down, and eventually a green light will show and you move onto the next string.

The tuner cleverly works off vibration rather than sound, so you can use it in noisy environments and it still works perfectly. A battery is supplied, and there is also a switch on the unit to select between C and D tuning.

A must-have for any ukulele player!

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to use, 3 May 2011
a very easy gadget to use. i have only taken up learning to play a musical instrument recently aged 55 and one big problem was tuning the ukuele but this has made it very simple. easy to use and good value

1.0 out of 5 stars !Lacks Sensitivity! Not Fit for Purpose!, 14 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Cherub WST-550U Clip-On Ukulele Tuner (Electronics)
I tried positioning the tuner as indicated in the enclosed instructions and it would only detect One ukulele String on both the C and D mode and refused to recognize the remaining Three strings.?
Conclusions: Apparently of variable quality and lacking in tonal range of sensitiviy(!Almost 25% Failure rate according to total of amazon 1 to 4 star reviews !)Am returning mine for refund and purchasingQwik Tune Snark Ukulele Clip On Tunerinstead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential if you can't tune by ear!, 24 Nov. 2012
K Wren "K Wren" (Wye Valley (England/Wales border)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cherub WST-550U Clip-On Ukulele Tuner (Electronics)
I'm probably pretty much tone deaf but felt it was time I learned to play an instrument so ordered a ukelele and, totally essential, a tuner.

The uke arrived before the tuner so I spent my first day perusing internet sites explaining how to do this and playing correctly tuned strings to demonstrate what they should sound like. Try as I might, I couldn't match them and when I thought each string was 'nearly there', it still didn't sound right. Thankfully, the tuner arrived and my sanity was restored.

On clipping it on, at first it didn't recognise any string which confirms that I am not one of those musically-gifted people able to tune by ear and match pitches or tones played on a website. So, I simply tightened the strings to what seemed like a reasonable tension and, lo and behold, the Cherub tuner now recognised them and identified them. Illuminated LEDs showed whether I needed to tighten or loosen the strings until a green LED showed, at which point it was magically in tune.

So, having spent 3 days frustratedly struggling with internet sites and pitch pipes, this little gadget guided me through the tuning process from scratch in under 10 minutes. Now, because it's used daily and the uke is almost in tune each time I use it, the process takes less than 2 minutes. It really couldn't be easier. It's a wonderful little gadget and I'd still be floundering and playing a painfully out of tune ukelele if I didn't have it.

So, if you're a beginner like me and don't have a particularly musical ear - buy it. You won't regret it and it will save a lot of time and even more frustration!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The simplest, most accurate, best value for money tuner out there, 21 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Cherub WST-550U Clip-On Ukulele Tuner (Electronics)
I'm fairly new to playing the ukulele so I wanted an easy to use tuner. Some tuners just display the note that you are playing, which is alright, if you know which octave you want to tune to and which string should be which! This tuner however knows which string you're playing and then indicates whether the string is too tense with a + sign and a number indicating how much by, and a - with a number if its too loose. It indicates this by using a light to show which string you're playing, and then another to show how in-tune it is. When the light turns green then you're all set.

A few notes: Sometimes it will light up green, then flicker to red as the string you played quietened down. That doesn't mean you're slightly out of tune, it just means that as the vibrations got weaker the tuner was listening to re-verb (sorta like an echo) rather than the actual sound the string made when you played it, so don't worry. It is very sensitive. Also, if your string is wildly out of tune then even if you are playing the 4th string it'll "recognise" it as the 3rd. Just keep messing with your tuning pegs until it begins to get close to how it should sound, and then it'll start recognising it as the 4th string so you can tune it.

And remember folks: it's better to tune UP to the note, than to tune down. So get it so that you are in the - below the green light, then tune up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little gadget, 16 Dec. 2011
Having bought my first ukulele I knew my untrained ears would struggle to tune it properly. I'm not a musician so need all the help I can get. The Ukulele Mate does exactly what it claims to do. It is so easy that tuning my uke takes a minute or less. The red/green light system is simple. The only thing to remember is which way to turn the tuners to bring a red light to green i.e. to tighten or loosen the string.

I suspect experienced musicians frown on such gadgets but for me it is fantastic. Highly recommended.

Cherub WST-550U Clip-On Ukulele Tuner