Kenwood Multi-Pro Libra FP950 Food Processor

I chose Kenwood because I have previously had a Kenwood food processor, which lasted at least 25 years and a food mixer that is still going strong after 30 years. This model FP 950 multipro Libra is also recommended by Good Housekeeping.
There are lots of attachments with this model and it seems to do...
Published on 21 Dec 2008 by A. Eaton

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as wonderful as I expected!
This is only my second food processor and I purchased it because it was recommended by Good Housekeeping, was on sale and does indeed look fab on my kitchen counter! I use it mainly to start bread dough, making pesto sauces, chopping herbs, vegetables, grinding nuts and seeds. I have not used the juice extractors. The intergrated scale is a nice bonus.

So...
Published on 8 Nov 2010 by BerlinerPooh

5.0 out of 5 stars Efficient and sturdy -does everything - great for cooking enthusiasts, 21 Dec 2008
A. Eaton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kenwood Multi Pro Libra FP950 Food Processor (Kitchen & Home)
Kenwood Multi-Pro Libra FP950 Food Processor

There are lots of attachments with this model and it seems to do everything. If you do not need all the functions, one of the simpler models would suffice, but if you enjoy doing lots of cooking - this machine is ideal. You will need somewhere to store all the attachments, but the processor itself looks very stylish and I am happy to keep it out on the worktop.
The weighing scales are handy as you can zero it and add further ingredients to the bowl or you can put the weigh plate on and just use the scales.
The rasping disc grates Parmesan really well; I have squeezed oranges, juiced apples, chopped nuts and grated vegetables. There are two sizes of feeder tube, so you can feed one carrot down the smaller tube and it doesn't fall to the side. The mini processor bowl is also useful for smaller quantities. I haven't tried the dough hook or the twin beater geared whisk yet, but I have only had it a few days. The mill and the liquidiser are both thick glass and together with the metal base of the machine, it appears to be a sturdy machine that is built to last.
Amazon delivered the food processor so quickly, even though it was ordered close to Christmas - very good service and good value.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as wonderful as I expected!, 8 Nov 2010

So far, I have found that the bases (which connect to the blender and grinder) are very poorly designed. Firstly, the plastic is smooth and difficult to twist on and off the hefty glass containers; my husband always has to do it for me and he struggles! Secondly, the rubber sealer on one is already slightly damaged because when grinding nuts or coffee, the blade base has to fit over the glass up-side-down and the rubber keeps falling off or getting stuck in the blades. I find it somewhat odd that both bases are exactly the same but not interchangeable (according to other reviewers) so am always having to make sure I don't mix them up or risk breaking the things. The nut chopper / coffee grinder is very tiny and I need to make several batches. My older cheaper Philips model takes almost double the amount and processes in half the time!

The spindle that fits onto the base of the food processor always falls off when removing the bowl and makes a mess all over the place. This happens when soft foods make their way up through the blade attachment and enter the hole at the top and ooze down the middle.

When making bread dough, I have to remove it while it is still soft and sticky otherwise the machine starts wobbling and threatening to jump off the kitchen counter.

On the plus side, I put everything except the blades and motor into the dishwasher and have had no problems at all. This machine does the job and the price is quite reasonable, but don't expect state-of-the-art technology here!

Update 6 January 2012

Since publishing this review I feel the need to deduct another star from my original 3 star rating! Just over a year old this machine is already falling appart : the flimsy click&lock notches of the plastic blender base snapped off and it's now useless, the rubber circle to seal the glass mill when connecting to the base if almost in shreds and the handle of the main bowl keeps coming off! We have glued it back on a few times but the pressure required to lock the bowl into the base means the handle is constantly being pulled back and forth. I am now looking to buy a replacement (anything but Kenwood) foodprocessor and try to sell this one for spares! My advice is to avoid this machine if you are a serious cook and need a reliable piece of equipment, this is not it!!! I cannot believe GH gave this their stamp of approval?!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent buy, 9 May 2010
S. Vavoula - See all my reviews
After doing lots of research on different food processors, I opted for the Multipro 950, as I liked the fact that it has built in weighing scales. I'm really happy with my purchase - it's a great machine. I keep it out on the worktop and have used it every day since I got it. I use it for chopping onions and tomatoes for a quick pasta sauce, I use the dough blade for kneading bread, I do cake and biscuit mixes in it, I whizz up smoothies and soups in the blender attachment and use the centrifugal juice attachment for apple and carrot juices.

The built in scales are a godsend and make it very easy for weighing out cake and bread ingredients etc and saves on the washing up. The blender attachment is a good-sized glass jug and I've now done away with my old scales and liquidizer and have much more room in my kitchen.

The only problem, which I've read in other reviews, is the central spindle, which tends to come off when you lift the main jug, and then goes flying across the kitchen floor. Luckily it hasn't broken.

All in all, however, an excellent addition to my kitchen and I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great food processor, 19 Dec 2008
I love this food processor. I spent quite a lot of time exploring the alternatives before making a purchase and am really happy with the decision I made. The blades are really sharp and care is certainly needed while washing them. I find this quite easy to clean. There are so many attachments and accessories that they are bulky to store and don't all fit neatly inside the machine when it is not in use. Initially I had a problem with the liquidiser goblet leaking and I exchanged it for another one. I have read that others have had this problem too, so it is worth checking when the package first arrives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood Multi Pro Libra FP950 Food Processor, 20 Jan 2010
R. A. Warren "RW" (England) - See all my reviews
This food processor does everything I want and more, I love it, I've made pasta, cakes, juice, pastry, cut vegetables, and only had it 4 weeks! There is one annoying thing though, every time I lift the jug off the base the piece that goes up the middle to turn the blade around goes flying across the kitchen, I am concerned that eventually it's going to break.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does everything!!!, 11 July 2008
B. Shepherd "tissa plan" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I needed a food processor fast as my old one had broken and the need to make baby food was approaching and so bought this one very quickly without knowing anything about it. It was definitely the right decision. It does everything I need and some things that I may never need but are quite useful to know they are there. I now use it on a daily basis to chop up all the veg for dinner (which I used to hate), making pastry in minutes, making baby food in the mini bowl, grating cheese, weighing ingredients, blending smoothies etc etc. I have not yet used any of the juicing functionality but all the rest seems to work brilliantly.

On the down side there are an awful lot of bits and pieces to store so you'll definitely need a spare shelf in a kitchen cupboard (it took me nearly half an hour to unpack and wash everything when I first got it). Also the processor can wobble a bit when it is on a high setting or there is something heavy in it but it is easily steadied. I've also heard that the whisks can be a little fragile but I haven't had a problem if I start it on a low setting first and build up.

Otherwise, I am yet to have a problem. This is a fantastic bit of kit and great for anyone who likes cooking or baking and exploring new recipes etc. as the Kenwood can cope with most things and takes away the mundane side of food prep. However, if you're limited for storage or will only use a few of the attachments then you're probably better off with something with a lower spec.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality machine and potentially dangerous, 18 May 2010
N. Rana (UK) - See all my reviews
I trawled through many reviews online while searching for a new food processor for my mother. The majority of the reviews for this machine were glowing and although a few negative comments were bugging me, my mum had always used Kenwood so I opted for this machine.

The machine comes with many attachments - however the quality of these attachments is abysmal. Most of the attachments require a separate plastic spindle to connect with the motor. Other than the fact this spindle falls in to the bowl when removing the attachment, the poor design means that connecting parts of the spindle and the attachment are seldom aligned, resulting in the cheap plastic becoming distorted.

On most occasions this is simply inconvenient because the attachments get stuck, however, when using the blade attachment this can cause serious injury because it becomes so difficult to remove - which is exactly what happened to my mother who is an experienced cook.

Kenwood have attempted to overcome this serious design flaw by including ridiculous limitations to what the machine can be used for and how it must be cleaned. For example the instructions say the whisk attachment must not be "immersed" in water and simply wiped down. I don't know if Kenwood have ever tried whisking anything but food residue gets everywhere and it is almost impossible to clean without immersing in water. The options then are: food poisoning from all the food left on the attachment or invalidating the warranty by washing it.

There are many other ridiculous "exclusions" and warnings about how to use the machine which means it is unsuitable (and dangerous) for anything but very basic and occasional use - completely contradicting the marketing which positions it as a "professional quality, high end machine".

The idea's are great (like the inbuilt weighing scales) but it's let down by very poor build quality and even poorer customer service who start quoting paragraphs from the manual and then refer you to their legal team!

Very disappointing and the majority of the reviews seem to be from marketing staff pretending to be customers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Processor is fine, parts are rubbish, 16 Sep 2010
I have had this processor for over a year, and we use it daily. The parts are clearly not meant for everyday use, so if you are a heavy user avoid, or make sure you take up the warranty offered. I have had to change the main bowl twice, as it has broken (through normal, careful use), and now the juicer attachment is also failing. I took up a warranty offer, luckily, otherwise I would have spent the same amount on spare parts as on the processor within a year. When we use the grater attachment, we end up with large pieces that are not being grated (there is too large a gap in the bowl).

It looks good, but is very disappointing to find that the parts are so bad. However, for very light and occasional use, it is fine.

I thought I would find the weighing option very useful, but as it turns out have not used it once.

I also find the spindle that keeps falling out annoying.

There is very little storage, and you will need space in your cupboard for juicing attachments, small bowl etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood Multi-Pro Libra FP950 Food Processor, 6 Feb 2009
This is a great bit of kit, it has every thing you will ever need in a food processor. have had mine 2 weeks and still not used all the bits. payed £128.19 for mine(not from amazon). the scales are a fab idea. the whole thing feels well made. if you love cooking you will love this, it saves you so much time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the scales, 6 Aug 2009
I bought this because my previous Kenwood food processor had served me well for nearly 20 years and I wanted something almost identical.I went for this model because I wanted a neater base unit and I love the idea of built in scales.

The scales are a brilliant idea and I will always love it for that. Bear in mind though that they are quite sensitive and if you nudge it too hard or run the food processor, the weight reading will change. You can't add ingredients while it is running and get an accurate weight.

The most annoying feature is the central spindle which just sits in place without locking in firmly which means that every time you take off the bowl you are likely to nudge the spindle enough to topple it onto the floor. Luckily it seems to be quite a strong nylon type of plastic.

This has a larger capacity than my old machine but I can't make any more cake mix or soup than I used to. Obviously I must have routinely overloaded my old machine. If you fill over the line on this one, it will leak over the top in the centre where the blade fits. So, no overloading allowed now. Best to liquidize soup in the pan with a little whizzer thing anyway.

I'm very happy with mine, it works about as well as my old one and has the brilliant scales. I just need to work ot how to store all those gadgets, they really do take up loads of space.

Kenwood Multi Pro Libra FP950 Food Processor