5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for Nightwish fans, 7 Oct 2004
Erica Anderson (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
I love Nightwish. I have been a fan since I first bought "Wishmaster", my first album by the Finnish metal band. I was completely blown away by the combination of Tarja's operatic voice with power metal. I was addicted right away. That was three years ago, almost four I think. I finally got the opportunity to see the band perform live in late August. One of the highlights for me was their cover of Gary Moore's "Over the Hills and Far Away". The song was very catchy yet aggressive. Tarja sounded absolutely amazing during the song. Unfortunately the album with that song is only available as an import. After doing some comparison shopping, I finally bought the cd "Over the Hills and Far Away". Now I can listen to the song as often as I want to. The other previously unreleased songs "10th Man Down" and "Away" were awesome. Like any of the band's ballads, "Away" simply took my breathe away. The production on these previously unreleased tracks is very in your face and has a big sound. I also enjoyed listening to the live tracks. It brought back memories of when I saw my favorite metal band in concert. I really dug the 2001 remake of "Astral Romance" from the band's first album. I thought this remake was vastly superior. I dug the heavy version of "Sleepwalker" too. I swear Nightwish is getting better and better with every album they put out. I can hear the sheer heaviness that I hear on their new album "Once" on "Over the Hills and Far Away". For diehard Nightwish fans, this is an album worth owning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good enough to make you feel guilty, 28 April 2003
Nightwish are from Finland, and that in itself should tell you all you need to know about their quality, but for those not familiar with Amorphis, HIM, Insomnium et al (in short, those who dont know the impeccable quality of Finnish metal) read on....
Classical genre labelling doesn't work well with Nightwish, gothic metal? Possibly, black metal? Hardly, simply Metal? Not descirptive enough, in fact none of these genres work well here. Nightwish to me are Opera metal, nothing less.
But enough bandying around with names, and onto the music. All the elements of great metal are here-distorted guitar riffs and powerful solos, excellent drumwork (and for once not overdooing the double bass) and speedy bass. But this particular band make more (and better) use of keyboards than most. The best example I think comes in the title track, following the excellent drum-led intro and first verse comes a cracking keyboard interlude that sounds decidedly Irish in nature, and none the worse for that. In fact everything about the opening song reeks of class from the flawlessly heavy opening through to the final guitar solo as the song fades. But as good as this title track is, it's only getting you ready for the real treasure of this CD, the stunning '10th man down' which is truly Nightwish at their opus. Opening with sound of battle before dropping into a low, pulsing first verse, you know you're in for a treat here, and this is confirmed as soon as the chorus kicks in, words fail me. After a repeat of this, suddenly everything changes and the song spirals down to a dark (but heavy) story of a lone soldier. This soldier (the band making good use of male vocals here, as if Tarja's voice wasn't enough on its own) and our heroine swap songs back and forth like a battle for words, before the chorus explodes into our faces again, and suddenly it's over.
'Away' and the beautiful remake of 'Astral romance' help wind us down after this, before the live section offers us 6 classic Nightwish numbers as they should be, live and real. The band are, naturally, on top form with every riff and note lovingly captured, particulary in the guitar solo to the excellent 'walking in the air', definitely one of the underrated classics in the history of all things guitar. The 6 minute epic of 'Beauty and the beast' (again with its brilliant use of male vocals) is the final glory of this album, followed only by a sub-standard performance of 'wishmaster', a song I was never particulary fond of. Still, this small jape aside still leaves us with 9 tracks of pure classic Finnish opera metal, and thats really 9 tracks more than we deserve, this is the kind of music you should have to beg to hear.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for Nightwish fans, 28 Sep 2004
Erica Anderson (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
Nightwish is my favorite hard rock band. My dream came true when I saw them perform live last month. One of my highlights from the show is the Gary Moore cover song "Over the Hills and Far Away". Tarja and the boys did an amazing job. It is both aggressive and melodic. I finally broke down and ordered a cheap import copy of "Over the Hills and Far Away". I recently got the cd yesterday and I was not disappointed in the cd. Most of the cd consists of live tracks but they were awesome. The live tracks were a wonderful reminder how good Nightwish is as a live band. Of course the title track is beyond wonderful. Tarja sounds amazing on this particular song. "10th Man Down" and "Away" are nothing short of amazing. I adore the 2001 remake of "Astral Romance" which sounds ten times better than the original version. I strongly recommend for diehard Nightwish fans to buy this cd solely for the first four tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars What more could you want?, 11 Sep 2002
Nightwish were a band unknown to me when a friend from America introduced me to She is my sin and instantly I was hooked. Over the Hills and Far Away was the first album I bought because it had Over the Hill, an excellent single, and also She is my sin! Before I listened to the album, I believed I would like those songs, maybe a couple of the others and the rest would not live to my expectation but fortunately I was wrong and loved every minute of the album. The best song on the album has to be 10th man down as the words are awe inspiring and the music is so complimentary. The operatic singing suits the music brilliantly, otherwise the songs would probably not sound so majestic or as majestic as goth rock can be. Overall an excellent album and because of it I have just ordered Century Child and I can only hope it is half as good as this one as if it is it would still be well worth the wait

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Nightwish compilation, 1 Feb 2010
Mr. Richard The book boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Over The Hills and Far Away (Audio CD)
Very powerful band and the great voice of Tarja. I like Nightwish very much and have most, if not all, of their CD's now. Perhaps an aquired taste but much better than the music being produced today, or am I just getting older !!!! If you like Nightwish a must have recording.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nightwish EP, 10 Nov 2003
This EP has three new tracks, and one cover. Also included are eight or so live tracks. The live tracks are well worth the listen, especially if you haven't heard much of Nightwish's early stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Rock than heavy - still love it all the same, 22 Oct 2013
P. A. Brandon (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Over The Hills and Far Away (Audio CD)
Bought this as my 4 year old loves 10th Man Down and can't say I was disappointed. This is only the 2nd Nightwish album we've bought and is totally different to Imagenareum.
However Tarja's vocals are immense and the album is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars big fan, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Over The Hills and Far Away (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of nightwish for some time and have been looking for a CD with my fave song (10th man down)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: Over The Hills and Far Away (Audio CD)
Excellent musicianship and the singer Tarja Turunen is majestic. Such a shame the partnership broke up. A must for any symphonic matal fans

5.0 out of 5 stars Finnish rockers go for it .., 2 Sep 2012
K. Todd - See all my reviews
For anyone who has yet to discover the music of Nightwish, this album from 2002 is as good a starting place as there is. Described as Symphonic metallers, Nightwish combine the bombast of U2 ( but without the absurd level of pretentiousness ) with the musicality of the best of the heavy rockers and have created their own unique place. Their music is almost a synthesis of the imagery of The Lord of the Rings and the explosive power of Iron Maiden. The exceptional vocals of singer Tarja Turnunin give a depth and variety to their style that few in their field can come close to. The songs are strong and contain much to enjoy, and the 'live' version of 'walking in the air' (yes, THAT one ) is one that will stay in the memory. Sadly, Tarja has now left the band but their latest album, entitled 'Imaginaerum', shows that they have chosen a positive replacement in Anette Olzon and, with the rest of the line-up still intact, Nightwish look set to build on their ever-growing reputation, as their recent performance at Download suggested.

Over The Hills and Far Away
Over The Hills and Far Away by Nightwish (Audio CD - 2007)