5.0 out of 5 stars A fun experience, excellent software
I am not an artist, not computer savvy and used this product with a mouse. And even with all those disclaimers I can tell you it was not easy to use until I read the booklet and watched the tutorial. So I suggest you watch the tutorial videos that come with it first. After a little practice I was able to produce "paintings" from photos as it promised. This lets you upload...
Published on 21 Nov 2007 by M. A. Ramos

1.0 out of 5 stars Download a disaster
Did a trial download of this product today, but brush drawer wouldn't work as it was empty. Corel Chat support told me this was just the trial version, and that online reported problems with Mac OS Lion had been fixed.
Downloaded and paid £39 from Corel site. Enormous frustration as brush drawer still not working. Support said uninstall and gave a link to...
Published on 9 Feb 2012 by Andi

5.0 out of 5 stars Painter Essentials 4, a cleaner way to create Art!!, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Painter Essentials 4 (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
The Painter Essentials 4 is a really great way to create art and have fun with the computer. There are so many styles of art one can reproduce with this software. Watercolours, Oils or drawing with a pencil, pastels or Pen and Ink, to name but a few. Even the Chinese style of painting can be reproduced. You can creat a portrate from a photo in any of the styles of painting or drawing. This software I would recomend to anyone who wants to be creative with their computer. Also a much cleaner way to paint, no dirty brushes to wash afterwards.

4.0 out of 5 stars Computer Art, 29 Mar 2011
This review is from: Painter Essentials 4 (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
Good product but memory hungry. Our laptop is decent spec but couple of years old and this programme is slow and jumpy especially using a graphic tablet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paint like a messy person, WITHOUT THE MESS, 12 May 2010
I LOVE this software!

For a long time I used Photoshop for my digital art, which was quirky and really more designed for photo editing.

I then got a demo of Corel Painter 11, the most recent provessional version (at the time) of this software. I was blown away by how intuitive the interface was, and how versitile the tools and controls could be. Using the software feels just as satisfying as painting in real life. You even get that messy feeling when you splodge paint on the canvas and start blending it and using the very clever brush models. The benefit of course is that you can do it WITHOUT getting paint all over your laptop (and yourself if you're anything like me).

When the demo ran out, I didn't have the £200ish to buy the full professional version of Corel Painter 11, so I got this instead. At first it seemed like a bit of a step back, but once you get the hang of this software, it's just as versitile and satisfying to use as Painter11. It's not as feature rich obviously, but in my oppinion, a lot of the extra bits in Painter11 are not really necessary.

I would deffinately recommend this software to any developing digital artist, or even to schools/parents wanting to get some digital art resources for their children (Mainly for the messy feel).

In my experience, the Corel Painter series is deffinately the best tool on the market for realistic, intuitive digital art.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Art Rendition - Windows upgrade please !, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Painter Essentials 4 (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
With persistence, by loading as a Windows XP SP3 compatible program on my Windows 8 HP laptop, I managed to get Painter Essentials 4 to work, albeit when booting up it is necessary to leave the PC waiting for ten minutes. Just when you think nothing will happen, it loads successfully. I now avoid the delayed boot up by minimising the program when not in use. In spite of multiple attempts I have been unable to load the program on my Mesh PC (Windows 7) and Acer laptop (Windows 7). I have yet to use all the paint options but the jpg to art conversions (watercolour, oil, etc) are superb and make excellent framed artworks when enlarged. The program will get 5.5 stars when Corel bring out a Windows 7 and 8 version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Painter Essentials 4 (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
really high quality photo printing paper, photo printing quality is amazing, just like printed from photo printing press. value for money

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy, product is un supported, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Painter Essentials 4 (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
My mother purchased this product for me as a christmas present, I have a Mac, operating on Mountain lion. The product that is delivered is only for earlier operating systems and a patch needs to be downloaded from Corel to run on Mountain Lion. The problem is is that because the software cannot be loaded the patch is of no use. I contacted Corel to discuss this and it appears that because they have not sold thew product directly themselves, that it is not possible to register the product code on their site and because this is not possible they will not support the product and will not provide any advice to the consumer, all they say is return the product to the supplier and then buy directly from them, so my advice don't buy it at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great Product after download fix, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Painter Essentials 4 (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
The product itself was as expected in it's functionality as I had seen a demonstration previously hence my desire to purchase. However, I was disappointed to find that when I downloaded it it would not operate on Windows 7 but, after consulting Google I downloaded a patch from Corel which fixed the problem. A reference to this should be made at point of purchase as others may not realise how easy it is to fix. At the price it is great value for a top product in its field.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - Once I got it to work, 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: Painter Essentials 4 (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
Problems with installation and then running this program - the suggested procedure is below, but once I did get it to run it works well and produces good and fun images.

How I got it to work on a PC running Win7 32 bit (with help from Corel and an online forum) :

Installation -

Copy all files to a folder on the desktop
Close all other applications and in task manager Click onto the Processes tab and look for PSIService.exe*.
Highlight PSIService.exe and click the End Process button. Say yes to the prompt. (If you do not see PSIService.exe, check the box near the bottom of the Task Manager window that says "Show processes from all users", then look again.) . From the desktop folder click on Autorun and run as an adminstrator.

Running:
Open compatibility troubleshooting for this program and run it as Windows XP SP1 compatibility. Save settings.

Only after doing all this would the program run.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another disaster, 15 Jan 2013
Mrs. P. A. Porter (Felixstowe, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Painter Essentials 4 (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
Having just bought a high-end Wacom graphics tablet, wanted a decent but not too expensive graphics programme to try it out on. Corel being a well known brand which I love for photo managing, thought this would be worth trying. What a performance - it refused to install properly, just going far enough to give me more or less half of the introductory page. Delving further, found one or two comments about incompatabilities with Google Chrome - so temporarily deleted that (and shut down my AVG virus checker and firewall, as usual when installing a new programme) Still the same result - the registration screen came up - again with a large chunk missing - the "Submit" button, for instance. Have sat at my desk until 2 a.m. trying everything I could think of - clearing unneccessary junk, system restore - you name it - I tried it. Same result!

Thinking I might have missed something through sheer exhaustion I tried again this morning - still no luck. Now this is a pretty new specially built computer which has given me absolutely no problem at all and I`ve installed a number of programmes on it over the time I`ve had it, and I`ve had computers since the old ZX ones! I don`t claim to be a techy, but I`m no beginner. It`s repacked and going back - TODAY! It may, of course, just be an unluckily faulty disk, but there are enough grumbles about the programme to put me off bothering with trying a replacement. I only gave it one star because you can`t do a review with zero stars! I may have to bite the bullet and buy a high end graphics programme to match the Wacom.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hopelessly bugged, 8 Mar 2011
This review is from: Painter Essentials 4 (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
This is the most troublesome piece of software I have ever installed on any computer. Although my computer is far more powerful than the minimum specification require it takes an age to launch and is extremely slow (I usually leave it running overnight). Handling files, saving and loading, is so slow it is sometimes difficult to tell if it is still running or has crashed. It only seems to work with very low resolution files and instead of throwing up error messages or advising you to create a lo-resolution version, it simply freezes. When it freezes the result is spectacular. It locks up the whole computer. Sometimes the only way of restarting is to pull the plug. It also does not like multi-tasking so you can't do something else while it is running. I have updated it via the corel website to the latest version, but it has not made a great difference. This is quite an old piece of software now so maybe it just doesn't work well with more modern operating systems. Having said that when it does work the results are spectacular and I love the programme, which is why I persevere with it. But be warned .. it runs so badly and is so tempremental it is more like a student programming project than a professional piece of software.

Painter Essentials 4 (PC/Mac)
Used & New from: £15.99