Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now

Format: Vinyl|Change

on 14 February 2012
Eric Clapton's career really covers so many periods that it's not suprising that it all could not be contained on 2 CDs.
The openers from Cream are unstopable, I Feel Free, Sunshine Of Your Love, White Room, Crossroads (live) and Badge.
Presence Of The Lord with Blind Faith is an unexpected plus, I also recommend a version by Texas Band, Liberation Suite, from their 1975 self titled album.
Lots of solo tracks surround Bell Bottom Blues and the show stopping Layla from Derek And The Dominos, if you think the single version is good, well don't settle for that, the album version is here in all it's majesty!
Dylan's Knocking On Heaven's Door is taken in reggae style as is Bob Marley's I Shot The Sheriff, OK stuff, but Cocaine was never going to be my favourite track.
Wonderful Tonight really is another excellent song on CD 1.
On CD 2 look out for Bad Love and from Unplugged, Layla and Running On Faith.
However it's Tears In Heaven which is the totally unmissable gem when Eric really bares his soul.
With 36 tracks in total, all with good production standards, no casual fan need look elsewhere.
on 17 November 2007
For this really to be COMPLETE, it would have to be everything that Eric Clapton has ever recorded, something it obviously isn't. Perhaps the title is wrong, but 'Greatest Hits' is rather hackneyed.

Most of those posting unfavourable reviews are complaining either that it's not complete or that one or two of their favourite tracks are not on it. Dear oh dear. How spoon-fed we seem to have become.

So what IS on it? Precisely what a half-sensible person might expect: many of his best-known tracks, spanning his entire career, including Layla, Wonderful Tonight, Tears in Heaven, Cocaine, Lay Down Sally...I mean, come on! What's the problem? I could get all grouchy that one of my favourites, Hoochie Coochie Man, isn't on it - but it's on other Clapton CDs. I think I can live with that.

This is an excellent introduction for the novice and a great collection for the fan.
11 comment|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2007
My son knowing I am and always will be a huge Clapton fan, bought this for my last birthday (I don't mean my LAST bithday, I am hoping to have many more!) I would not have gone and purchased this myself, as within my CD collection I have all of these tracks and could have made up this compilation myself. Having said that it is a good collection (how many Clapton collections have there been over the years?). The two discs represent a reasonable selection of the mans work, although I would have liked some of his early stuff with John Mayall and even The Yardbirds, perhaps Blind Faith, just to round the collection out. I played it in the car and it is a great driving companion, even though I know all the tracks well, thay are great songs and just remind you once again what a tremendous guitarist and vocalist Eric was and is. "Clapton is God" well in rock music yes he is one of them!
on 18 October 2007
I have to start my review by agreeing with those writers who've stated that this is primarily a greatest hits album, but then find myself asking how exactly do you fit 40 years output onto two compact discs??

The majority of people reading these reviews will ask 'John who?' when asked about John Mayall, and I don't say that to slight my readers in any way at all, honestly!

If you are thinking of getting into Mr. Clapton there is no better way to start than with this double album. The majority of his hits are included here, and if it gives you a taste to search out what is now a huge back catalogue then I would imagine that Eric, his recording company, and those who quite correctly describe this collection as incomplete will all benefit.

Buy it, enjoy it, then buy some of his older stuff - you'll find something to love on every solo and collaborative album. Who knows, maybe some people will become more aware of John Mayall, Bluesbreakers, Cream....
on 1 February 2015
Master-collection. But nonsens to call it 'complete', even with 36 tracks. The old 'guitar-GOD' has an awe-making backlist. The collection sets off with Clapton's Cream-period, so his playtime with The Yardbirds and John Mayall and The Bluesbreakers is not represented which is a crying shame. The same goes for many of his solo-albums (among others No Reason To Cry, Backless, From The Cradle, Reptile). Only one tribute to Robert Johnson. J.J. Cale is better off with three pieces. You probably will have some of the cuttings on the original albums in your collection. So what ... If you are a newcomer to the Clapton-world: roll on.
on 6 September 2010
Im not the type of Clapton fan that knows all his songs. I know his main stream tunes and that is about it. I bought this album for its value and to give me some ideas when creating my own tunes. I think its his best compilation that covers all his eras' of musical genius. Its a great album for people who know his music and people who want to get into his music. Loath him or love him, you simply cannot deny his musical genius and these songs will stay around for many many more years to come. Clapton is a legend and long may he continue to be so!
PLEASE NOTE, Amazon have put my review on more than one CD, so it may not apply, please refer to the title to check the relevance.
TRY THIS B000V6JAWW AS IT IS THE SAME ALBUM BUT CHEAPER, SAME Title too, just a different issue, digitally remastered, perfect.
No point in making many comments, this is about the best 2 CD compilation going, actually the best I found, but as other reviewers state the title "Complete Clapton" is bound to be wrong, however it does cover almost all of his well known tracks, from his very very early days to quite late, I own B000V6JAWW and can thoroughly recommend either version.
More Clapton CD's I recommend are :
*Yardbirds The Best of The Yardbirds - Shapes Of Things [Double CD] B003TO55F4, expect much lower quality mono tracks, as far as I have heard, the master tapes are mainly mono and poor quality, typical of much early 60's stuff.
*B000F4LGDQ with Cream, decent quality stereo.
*Blues breakers John Mayall with Eric Clapton, there are several issues, all the same, choose the cheapest, 17 tracks in mono and then repeated in decent quality stereo.
on 12 April 2013
So, some people think this is not "complete". Well, if you want a complete summary of his career then you would want more than 2 discs. This is a great summary of his career and good for listening to in the car or whatever. Yes, sure, there are tracks I would have deleted (not many) and some I would have included, so what? Just enjoy it for what it is...
on 27 October 2007
Of course, a 2 cd compilation spanning a 40 year careeer can't be complete so, yes, the title is somewhat misleading (as several other reviewers have pointed out). But it serves fine as an introduction to some of E.C.'s more popular tunes (though several gems and hits are missing).
VINE VOICEon 2 November 2007
A great EC sampler but I have to be honest I never got Clapton, I always thought (sometime sidekick) Albert Lee, Beck,Page and especially the mighty Peter Green were all way more interesting players. I love guitar based rock and the blues but Clapton to me was either brilliant or awful and the whole patchy gamut is contained herein.

Being that this was the man who walked out on the "too commercial" Yardbirds he has produced some real pop pap. However when he is good he is very good, the Cream songs are outstanding, three massive egos adding up to the sum of their parts and more. His solo material is a real mixed bag, Layla whilst over familiar still raises the hairs when listened to in full. I still see dead people (Goodfellas) when I hear this - however which is Clapton and which is Greg Allman?.

Lay Down Sally is nice work and fun, Wonderful Tonight is stomach turningly twee in the extreme (although I think perhaps EC agrees), I know the subject matter but I am not fond of Tears in Heaven either. The unplugged version of Layla is excruciating elevator music. But you probably know these already. Other than that there are some fine softish rock tunes, if you are in that kind of mood. I always regarded the missing "Behind the Mask" as a guilty pleasure and think it should have been included with some of his early Bluesbreakers and Yardbirds work.

A nice taster but not in any way complete, but not for me. For all his talking about being a blues purist, this ain't the blues. Robert Johnson must be regretting selling his soul if this is his legacy.

His biography however is great, but that is another story.