5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, quiet and support were really helpful

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but plugging issue is annoying
Published on 23 Feb. 2008 by F Stelluto

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, quiet and support were really helpful, 10 Jan. 2008
W. Nicol "Bill" (UK Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Western Digital My Book Studio Edition 1TB Firewire 400 / 800 & eSata External Hard Drive (Personal Computers)
Bought this for new intel based iMac 24" as an external drive, to store pictures and video files. When first plugged in the iMac did not recognize the myBook. Called the help desk (Europe) and they were very honest saying that there are issue with Leopard OSX 10.5.1. So the button manager does not work. (It will not work with Firewire 800 anyway, as advertised in booklet). Anyway, set it up and if you follow the procedure properly, the iMac eventually recognized it through Firewire 800 and it is indeed REALLY fast. In fact, it seems faster in transfer between iMac and myBook than between folders on the internal HDD! GREAT.....also like the 3 year limited warranty. Finally, looks gorgeous in brushed aluminum. One slight issue at the moment. When I shut down the iMac, the front light pulses every 20-30 seconds as on standby. This issue will be resolved when the firmware updates and Leopard updates in due course (I am told by Euro-help).

5.0 out of 5 stars Performance Data, 10 Jan. 2008
Similar connectivity findings to both previous posts but to help with limited performance data posted anywhere (especially FW800) here are the results of initial tests using a MacBook Pro with Internal 200GB 7200 HDD by copying a 2GB MPEG:

USB 2.0 - 22 MB/s
FW400 - 31 MB/s
FW800 - 50 MB/s
eSata - not tested

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and easy to use., 12 Mar. 2008
Kevin Leah (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Buying this disk was an extremely hard decision. Based on the reviews on Amazon of the various models of MyBooks it was either going to be noisy and unreliable or quiet and easy to use. I'd been bitten before with an Iomega drive that sounded like a vacuum cleaner and reset itself if you put it under any real strain.

My requirements, in order, were:
1, It must be very quiet as it is for home use.
2. It needed to be large - at least 750MB
3. It had to store my data reliably and easily
4. Firewire was desirable

So what are my impressions so far?
It's connected to a MacMini G4 running OS X 10.5.2 (Leopard) via Firewire 400.

Well to start it is incredibly quiet - I have to put my ear up against it before I can hear it.

It's 1TB and that's "Marketing" TB not real TB (Base 10 rather than the Base 2 that computers use). This translates to 932GBs of usable space. No surprise here, hard disks have always been sold in this misleading way, and it is way time the practice was stopped. The difference between marketing and real was trivial when disks were only a couple of MBs, but now we are up at the high GB and TB level it is a bad joke.

Connecting it to Firewire, I experienced the same problem reported by others - You have to power the drive on before you connect the cable or your Mac might not recognise it. Once recognised, it is immediately available to you. It comes with some Mac OS X 10.4+ software to allow the capacity gauge to work and also some trial backup software. This is NOT on a CD, it is stored on the disk. I made the mistake of partitioning the disk before I realised this and therefore lost it. Once you register you can download the software again (which includes the Windows versions).

In the box are a Firewire 400 to 800 cable, Firewire 800 to 800 cable and a USB lead, each a metre in length. The power supply is a fairly small brick, with a generous length of cable coming from each end.

I downloaded and installed a firmware upgrade, which is supposed to improve functionality under OS X 10.5 (Leopard) - I've no idea what difference this may have made. There is also a downloadable replacement for the bundled ButtonManager , called WDDriveManager.

As to reliability - only time will tell - I've only had the drive one day. In that time I have backed up the MacMini and a Macbook (over the network) using TimeMachine. I've also copied all the data off of the noisy Iomega drive. Throughout that process the drive has remained quiet, the case has remained quite cool and there are no vibrations.

Overall.
-------
It's quiet, easy to install and has a good range of connections. It has met all my requirements and exceeded my expectations

My only dislike is the array of white LEDs on the front - they scan back any forth anytime the drive is active and are most distracting - there is no way I can see of disabling them. A single LED would have been completely adequate.

** Update 14 June 2008 **
It's been three months and the drive is still excellent - it has two Macs backing up to it using Time Machine with no problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does "exactly" what it says on the box and for a great price, 7 Feb. 2008
D. Thomas (London) - See all my reviews
I had been considering purchasing this drive for a good few months before picking it up from Amazon for a great price. Having already owned an older model My Book for a good while and had no problems with that I was a little concerned to read some less than steller reviews from purchasers of this model (and the similar 500Gb Studio drive).

Basically I shouldn't have worried - if you know what you are doing this drive is fantastic value for the money. As has been said previously below make sure you plug it into the power prior to connecting the Firewire cable and it works first time. Transfer rates are excellent, it is quiet and for the fashion conscious couldn't look more in keeping with my iMac and Macbook Pro.

Forget the comments that suggest you are being robbed of disc space (drive comes with 931 Gb pre-formatted) as any drive will lose space as soon as it is formatted. Also from my own experience of these drives they are as reliable as any other external drives you can currently purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product if...........you upgrade firmware!, 4 Dec. 2008
There has been a lot of bad reviews about WD My Books on Amazon and across the web, predominately regarding their reliability, noise level and sleep function. Well here's my take on it.

Firstly it's imperative if you want your MyBook to work properly to go to the WD web site and download the latest Firmware fixes for your particular hard drive, (Homepage > Support > Downloads > My Book > then pick your model) making sure your HD is connected to your computer using a USB cable. I downloaded the following for my Mac: Firmware Update, WD Drive Manager and Mac Turbo Drivers, and then just follow all the on screen instructions.

Having done this you CAN now successfully daisy chain two 1TB My Books together via the two FireWire800 ports and they are both recognised by my iMac separately, this didn't work before the update i tried it.

The light on the front that tells you how full the hard drives are also works fine.

The whole automatic sleep function also seems fixed, when not in use for about 10mins the MyBook powers itself down into sleep mode (front light glows on and off every 5 secs) and happily comes out of sleep when requested, either through me searching for files or from Time Machine doing a scheduled back up.

I've also heard of people having problems with completely shutting down the My Book. Well with the firmware upgraded you can now do it one of two ways. Firstly you can eject (unmount) it from your computer, this puts it into sleep mode, then simply press the power button on the back of the unit once and it shuts down completely. To power back it back up just press the button again and it will be recognised (mounted) by your computer in a few seconds
OR
Simply hold down the power button for a few seconds and this ejects (unmounts) it from your computer and turns it off in one fowl swoop.

As for noise well it is really quite, maybe slightly louder than my iMac but apart from the occasional grumble here and there it really is silent.

Speed - FireWire 800 is awesome, i have been copying 160GB of data from computer to HD and again onto the daisy chained HD and it is twice as quick as USB, taking just an hour.

Reliability - Well who knows I've just bought 2 so time will tell. However i have still got a 250GB MyBook i bought a few years back (from Amazon) and it is still working fine. I'm also reassured by the 5 year warranty and the fact i bought them through Amazon.

It was a really tough decision for me deciding which hard drives to go for, i looked at all sorts from Lacie to Buffalo but for me the WD My Book Studio was the one i went for because of cost, connections, looks and my past experience with them.
Should you go for one, well that's up to you but it's a lot of 1TB hard drive for the money now it's around the £100 mark and the firmware upgrade fixes (as far as i can see) all the other problems.
As for reliability...watch this space!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but make sure you plug it in correctly., 5 Jan. 2008
Eifion (North Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great drive: fast, and fairly quiet too, but I came close to returning it when it arrived as it appeared not to be working at all when connected via FireWire. It seems that it needs to be connected to the power supply before the FireWire cable or it won't be recognised by your Mac. That small quirk aside there have been no problems at all and it makes a great Time Machine drive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but plugging issue is annoying, 23 Feb. 2008
F Stelluto "gotofritz" (London) - See all my reviews
So far it has done the job fairly well. However, on a Mac you need to make sure you plug the power supply first, then firewire into the hard disk, then the other end of the firewire cable into the Mac. Otherwise it won't work, and you need to unplug it altogether and start again. On their site Western blame it on Apple, but other manufacturers do not seem to have the same problem.

Anyway - you eventually get used to it, but there's something hackish about the whole setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for Time Machine, 8 Aug. 2008
cjr (East Lothian, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I've found this drive to be quiet and fast and really easy to use with Time Machine. Plugged it into my iMac, was asked whether I wanted to use it with Time Machine and away it went without any further intervention (in fact I was a bit disappointed that there was no tinkering...). A great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent drive and service from Amazon, 18 Nov. 2008
D. Mccourt (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I looked at a lot of reviews for this (on Amazon and elsewhere) and plumped for this drive because of its excellent connectivity. I'm a Mac user and Apple seem to be moving away from Firewire towards USB so I wanted to ensure the best of both Worlds. My G5 Mac has Firewire 400 and 800 and I wanted to try the Firewire 800 speed. It is very fast. I copied 160GB in around 2 hours.

The drive itself is small, neat and very quiet; a few clicks here and there but nothing too noticeable, The lights are a bit distracting if the drive is in use a lot like mine but I put it out of direct view and it is fine. The usage guage is useful but the included software on the drive has a drive capacity monitor built in which is more accurate.

The drive comes with Memeo backup software, which as others have noted is a 30 day trial. When I visited the Memeo site it notes that there is a product key to the software somewhere on the WD printed 'collateral' (as of 18.11.2008). I looked over the info and found it is on the bottom back of the printed quick set-up guide. So the software is fully functioning and free. It works really well, is very simple to use and backs-up files incrementally as soon as they are changed. This means the drive is in constant use and there is no scheduling facility.

If like me, you want to mount the drive from another networked computer to back that computer up you need to buy some other software from Memeo to do that (AutoBackup Premium which is about 35GBP). You can try it out for 30 days for free. This lets you back up to a networked mounted drive.

So I can backup two networked Macs (total of around 200GB of files) for 150GBP which is a great peace of mind if you have valuable work files like me.

I'd also like to comment on Amazon's excellent customer service. The first drive I bought amazingly didn't come with a power adapter (which is set-up as a US plug but takes seconds to change to a UK one) or Firewire cables. It arrived Saturday morning and I followed Amazon's return procedure. By Sunday a new one was on its way to me and Monday morning it arrived and the old one was collected. Absolutely fantastic. This is what customer service should be like and for this peace of mind alone, Amazon should be your first choice. It certainly will be for me from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best external hard-drive on the market, 17 April 2009
Mr. Thomas P. Roberts (Northamptonshire) - See all my reviews
If only this product was a little cheaper, then instead of having 2 of them i'd have 4! Since this product arrived, over a month ago, i've had absolutely no trouble. If you're looking for a dependable and reliable hard-drive vendor then you cant get any better than WD. As mentioned before, the only negative thing i would attribute to this product would be its price, although amazon offers by far the best deal! Be warned however, the eSATA connection offered by WD is not compatible with cheaply manufacturerd eSATA PCI cards, such as those offered on amazon (i talk from experience). USB and firewire connections work to a well enough degree to allow streaming of HD media, and users will notice that WD have erradicated the need for the chunky step down transformer bundled with previous drives. Based on my previous experience of WD, owning a new and larger hard-drive almost every year for 5 years, IF any problems occur within the first 12-months WD will deliver on their product warranty, replacing any faulty product in a timely manner,you need only visit the website. For those of you that complain that WD do not offer a file reclaimation service, if you are looking for someone to blame you need only look in a mirror; not having a secondary back-up for any and all important files in any form or another is a rather moronic thing and some prior thinking/planning is certainly neccessary on your part.