5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning
I too have had a limited edition for a couple of months - i don't think its ever been taken out of the CD player - simply a beautiful album - I loved Feather and Stone but this is by far a much better album. This band should get the recognition that they fully deserve on the basis of this album alone.
Published on 1 Jan. 2008 by HazyPea

2.0 out of 5 stars Careful now....
The first record was much better..with this, in my opinion T.B. has played the safe card and written mostly songs for those of us who are in love,have just met someone and are hoping for the best...so depending where you are ??
If on the other hand you have just broken up with someone..and are feeling a bit down with yourself and life in general then i would suggest...
Published on 12 Jan. 2008 by 33/45

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 1 Jan. 2008
HazyPea (West Midlands) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Skybound (Audio CD)
I have listened to this album so many times now that it is strange to think that it is still so new. I loved Feather and Stone but Skybound is such a treat - you can sink into it - it is wrap around warm and beautiful. I really do recommend this album it is really wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the whole picture, 10 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Skybound (Audio CD)
I came across Mr Baxter in 2004 when I was lucky enough to catch 'don't let go' on a radio station somewhere and bought Feather and Stone on the strength of that. I loved some of the tracks, but the production was a little too smooth and I'm afraid that I eventually shelved the album and noted him in my mind as a good, but second rate Jeff Buckley. Then, in 2007, my partner and I had a civil ceremony. While I was searching for "songs to walk into the room to" I came across a live version of 'Light me up' on YouTube (the last song on Skybound). This was the song we chose for our ceremony, and it re-ignited my long forgotten interest in Tom. So, I bought Skybound. In hindsight, I now know that I was still suffering under the opinion I formed from Feather and Stone, that although he's good, he's not brilliant, so I listened to Skybound a couple of times and again shelved it thinking that it was not bad but nothing special - Oh how cynical we become! Because then, thank God, I went to see him live. And suddenly I realised what a mistake I had made. Watching Tom Baxter live is as far as I'm concerned second only to seeing Sigor Ros. He is phenomenal, as a performer, songwriter, vocalist and a musician. Live, he is just mindblowing, and doesn't deserve to be compared to anyone - he is truly unique. So I listened again to both Feather and Stone and Skybound and realised what a mistake I had made, all based on the oversmooth production of Feather and Stone. Still, his recorded albums don't quite capture the raw emotional power of his songs, and his beautiful vulnerability as a vocalist, but the production of Skybound is better. If you haven't seen him live, please please do. You will not be disappointed - I can only compare the joy of discovering Tom Baxter properly to going back to being 11 years old and finding a den in the Summer months with sunlight everywhere, and me being hidden away in absolute peace and excitement learning how to light fires. The bloke is a genius, and Skybound is a small taste of something amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 12 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Skybound (Audio CD)
Tom Baxter once again providing the perfect soundtrack to modern life, love and loss. A beautiful voice, beautiful music, beautifully expressed, Buy this album, buy feather and stone and go see him live. Those of us who have known Tom Baxters music for years now have the pleasure of watching him get the success and accolades such a talented man and band deserve. It seems the industry and the public have finally discovered one of the UK's best kept secrets

5.0 out of 5 stars Skybound... he better be!, 8 Jan. 2008
M. Bowen (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skybound (Audio CD)
Having owned this album for a couple of months its a joy to finally see it get a mass release. Already picking up huge interest and support from the radio 2 crowd that shouldn't stop anybody who shuns that label taking a listen. From the opening bars Tom captures his audience. The beautifully inspiring title track Skybound lifts your spirits and is an album highlight along with The Last Shot, Icarus Wings and the first release Better. My personal favourite Half a Man first surfaced on his 3 track E.P way back in 2004 as a live track and that's how it needs to be heard to fully appreciate it's jaw-dropping beauty.

Perhaps, like his debut, it takes some time for all tracks to find a place in your heart but when they do, they'll be there for some time to come. Not a bad track on there 10/10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Baxter back in fine form!, 13 Oct. 2007
Allan Quigley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skybound (Audio CD)
after a 3 year hiatus owing to record company problems and that dificult 2nd album syndrome Tom Baxter's new opus is finally with us.The album opens with a solid, double-bass laden track "On a night like this" which confirms the Baxter voice retains all it's wonders,next up is the title track "Skybound" which features some very fine instrumentation and orchestration but never quite lights the touch paper for me,third in is "Better" a beautifully simple lovesong which should be gracing the airwaves for many months and will have them singing along at the concerts,"Tell her today" picks up the pace starting out as an up tempo love song again featuring some exquisite Spanish Guitar (a constant motif throughout) before careering into a Desperate Housewives influenced headlong finish,"Miracle" is another splendidly crafted lovesong not as immediately rewarding as "Better" but more captivating after repeated listening,to these ears "The last shot" is the low point of the album,the over repetitive chorus is responsible for the only disappointment on the entire album and a long one it is at over 6mins 30 secs,"Tragic" gets us back on track a song similar in style and sentiment to Deacon Blue's finest moment and nicely sets us up for the zenith of this album,"Half a man" is the finest song Tom has performed to this date starting out as a haunting reminiscence of a tempestuous affair which has left him almost emasculated before we realise that he desires the humiliation to continue and we share the madness before the song finishes up like a sick lullaby,a magnificent song,the folowing track "Icarus Wings" is just as good, a stunning vocal in unison with that guitar guide us to a Spanish Flamenco finale which will have you stamping your heels and clapping your hands,i am loath to introduce the Buckley comparisons however they are pretty valid on these two songs and that is no bad thing,"You light me up" brings the album to a close on what sounds like a positive personal note for Tom but i find it a weak song,i can almost hear Will Young or someone of his ilk performing it and selling millions but unfortunately not for me,all told "Skybound" is a worthy successor to the excellent "Feather and Stone" and in the two stand out tracks Tom's writing has reached previously unattained heights,i've recently been to Tom's gig in Dublin and the live arena certainly adds another dimension to these songs so i would advise you to get along to a show to really experience the brilliance of Tom Baxter
p.s. love to Vashti

5.0 out of 5 stars If he aint the next big thing...........?, 22 Jan. 2008
Bryan G. Mcvey (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skybound (Audio CD)
I've given this album a 5 star rating but would suggest that Feather and Stone, Tom's first album, is even better. I first heard Tom Baxter as a support act on a Jamie Cullum tour - what a voice! The combination of his voice, memorable melodies and heartfelt lyrics are at the heart of his work. The kick start for Tom's star rising recently was the track "Better" which, ironically, is possibly the weakest track on the album. It's a little lovey dovey.Check out "On a night like This", "Icarus Wings" and "Half a Man" for more typical Baxter high points. If you get the chance catch him live in the next couple of months. He is able to display his full vocal and emotional range in an intimate live concert better than on a CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the signs of a classic album, 29 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Skybound (Audio CD)
I have never listened to an album this much ever. Most albums only suit a certain mood, but Skybound seems to fit them all. I find myself reaching for it again and again, and that is a rare thing for a music junky addicted to finding the next musical high! When i first got my hands on Skybound back in September ,i loved the way it sounded immediately, before i even got to know the songs. That's the sign of a great album to me. Now that i know every detail of every second of the album, it's become one of my precious belongings. Everyone will have to be happy with a christmas card this year, with a little note telling them that as soon as Skybound is released on Jan 5th, it will be posted throught their door!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant..., 21 Jan. 2008
Mr. N. M. Roberts "nate_jones_uk" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skybound (Audio CD)
Really love this album. Bought it on the basis of a newspaper review and have been blown away... 'Better' is one of the best simple love songs I have ever heard. Would be great to hear it on the airwaves but sadly don't think it'll happen; which is a shame, so I'm doing my bit to promote this album!

Nte

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad for a Suffolk Lad, 11 April 2008
Mr. Peter Steward "petersteward" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skybound (Audio CD)
The more you get into this album the more you realise that it has been exquisitely put together with songs about love and hope.

My only reservation about Baxter is his rather high pitched falsetto voice but there is no denying the poetical feel to the lyrics. This is rock music for the intelligent set. I have an interest in Baxter's work as he comes from Bungay in Suffolk - a town I covered as a young newspaper reporter back in the 1970s.

There is a jazz feel to many of the songs and there will be obvious comparisons with the voice of Jeff Buckley. Baxter doesn't quite have the tonal range of his American counterpart but he always writes literate songs within his vocal range. I have seen him live and he produces a much rockier sound.

That doesn't detract, however, from the atmospheric feel of this album which was Record of the Week on Radio Two. Baxter is a good singer-songwriter in the James Blunt mould. My record of the year in 2007 was Jack Savoretti's Between the Minds and this reminds me of that album. There's latino, folk and many other mixes here. Perfect for a relaxing evening with a chill out glass of wine. Lyrically it's very strong with the title track being a superb example. I think as we look back in a few years time, this will be remembered as Baxter's best work, appealing to a variety of ages and certainly both sexes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Skybound
Skybound by Tom Baxter (Audio CD - 2008)