4.0 out of 5 stars Fatigued to Fantastic
Very informative book but lot to take in with a woolly brain! Arrived in time and condition fine.
Expensive to buy all the suggested vitamins etc. Trying the Ribose but early days yet.
Published 13 months ago by Janey B

3.0 out of 5 stars INITIALLY EXCITING...then frustrating...then...
Bought this book a few weeks ago and I was so excited!
This could be the answer to all my CFS problems, so I delved straight in there and read it from cover to cover, going back to certain chapters and various symptoms in the Index.

Published on 6 Oct 2008 by Shelby Mustang

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars INITIALLY EXCITING...then frustrating...then..., 6 Oct 2008
Bought this book a few weeks ago and I was so excited!

Yes, it IS helpful...you gain a bit more insight into what is going on in your body and why and sometimes HOW but as one part of the book states - most General Practitioners are ignorant of these conditions AND as the book also states the general blood testing techniques are based on averages and rarely show any subtle changes in the body chemistry. A LOT of GP's in the UK are stumped by CFS/M.E./Fibromyalgia

They refer you to specialists/psychiatrists who suggest CFS etc but are either helpless to do anything or the experience leaves you feeling like you are not being listened to and being relegated to Psychiatric Issues Pigeonhole (calm down, there are emotional/Psychiatric foundations to MANY illness it's just that they know what to do with the physical ailments)

You're already feeling dreadful and highly stressed and stuck (and in some ways totally obsessed by the illness so where do you go then?

The part of the book I did find helpful was the section on Natural Remedies, there are some interesting suggestions and it explains how they work in the body - but beware! if you were to buy every single thing listed as being necessary you'd be seriously skint!

As for the Pharmaceutical advice...

A: this is an American book and assumes you have Health Insurance and access to a whole host of specialists.

B: Think about it...you feel horrendous already...what are drugs going to do? COVER SYMPTOMS UP? FILL YOU FULL OF MORE CHEMICALS? (for UK readers: GP's would be unlikely to go down the route of a lot of these treatments apart from some pain relief or a short term sleeping pill or good old anti-depressants.

Don't get me wrong this book IS interesting and a good place to start but it by no means has all of the answers.

Check out: 'Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome' by James L. Wilson this makes FAR more sense.

Go see: a Homeopath (you can get NHS referrals)they can get to the parts regular Dr's may not be able to touch.

Ask your GP about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or other types of
therapy (no you're not nuts and having the right respectful practitioner/Psychologist guide you through issues which may have gotten you to where you are now is a very important foundation to get stable)

Get lots of information.

Then forget half of it because you are fixated by it and can't see the wood for the trees...and start again with a less frantic outlook.

It's a frustrating place to be in, you get good days and you get bad days but just ask yourself "How can I be kinder to myself?"

Good luck. xx

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, 22 Dec 2013
Charis (Belfast, N Ireland) - See all my reviews
The book indicates that Fibromyalgia can be cured by diet and supplements. However there is information near the end of the book about hormonal issues, which is not given much emphasis.

Dr Teitelbaum is now an advisor on a Thyroid Parient Website which states that Fibromyalgia is simply a thyroid condition which is either not diagnosed, or not properly treated.

This book led me to spend a lot of money and waste time on expensive supplements which did no good. Eventually I discovered that my son had a thyroid condition, which was not apparent from blood tests.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous and Possibly Delusional, 28 Aug 2010
About me: I have some background of study in science, am not a medical doctor; but probably most importantly
recently recovered from a four year long bout of CFIDS. Before I got too sick to even read, you can believe
I went looking for some answers. I found "From Fatigued To Fantastic" to be absolutely without merit in both
its attempts at science and in any of the advised treatment regimens (I was unfortunate enough to find a local
physician here in Sacramento who was a Teitelbaum devotee and he hit me with a variety of them.)

Most, if not all of these treatments actually made me sicker, and at the time,I was already pretty miserable.
I finally started to recover a little about two years after I stopped all treatment, probably through either
luck or the grace of god (or maybe both).

If you are looking for real science, try the Whittemore-Peterson Institute in Reno. And try to remain hopeful,
but skeptical of guys like this. Some people do recover, but my overall impression is that Dr. Teitelbaum isn't
curing anyone. If he were, you'd have heard a lot more about him by now. His "research", and I use the term loosely,
seems based on convincing the subjects to self report improvement as a result of various treatments he throws
at them. There is some question regarding people who do not report improvement vanishing from the study, thus
not being included in the statistical calculations in the final report.

Many of Dr. Teitelbaum's ex-patients seem to report their impression of treatment in his facility was that
of being made significantly poorer financially by their association . Improvement seems sporadic, genuine cure
or remission almost nonexistent. Given that a certain percentage of patients will recover spontaneously
(absent any treatment at all), Dr. Teitelbaum's practice seems less than ideal.

Have hope, but protect yourselves. There is a great deal of questionable medicine practiced on people with this disease.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fatigued to Fantastic, 2 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars From Fatigued to Fantastic, 11 Aug 2010
I'm buying my second copy of this book as I gave my first copy to a friend. This is an excellent book that explains in detail what is happening to the body when suffering from the debilitating symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Fibromyalgia. This book was of great help to me personally. It reminded me to be mindful that the pain fatigue symptoms were warning signs that my body required total rest as & when necessary. I stopped putting myself under so much pressure to fight the symptoms. In the long term this has helped me have a quicker recovery process.

2.0 out of 5 stars fix the real cause, 28 Jun 2014
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Every single symptom listed on the cover of this book, and those inside, is a symptom of low thyroid. To me, it's shocking that almost no mainstream doctors and so few "experts", much less writers of books like this, are aware that these are symptoms of low thyroid (hypothyroid), often adrenal fatigue (linked with sometimes hidden copper toxicity), magnesium deficiency and sometimes also B12 deficiency. Shocking.

There are no lab tests for many causes of low thyroid, so at least 80% of us are mis-diagnosed, because your doctor will only treat lab tests, not you. More than 50% of us have low thyroid yet mainstream medicine claims only 5% of us are hypothyroid.

Of course I don't expect you to believe me, see for yourself with a very simple home self-test: the FREE basal (at rest) temperature self-test is THE gold standard for low thyroid problems and - with your symptoms - means more than any lab test (although most conventional doctors, including endos, won't agree but then they're not trained to understand thyroid problems - thyroiduk[dot]org[dot]uk offers a list of the very few thyroid sympathetic doctors in this country).

"Fibromyalgia" and "ME/CFS" are just names, not diagnoses. A real diagnosis means there is a cure (something that has been brushed away since medicine has so few cures - just synthetic drugs that oppose symptoms, all of which have "side" effects, meaning damage they don't want you to think about). Physicians have little or no way to heal or cure chronic health problems, or to provide adequate pain management. This failure means they are becoming obsolete.

The basal temperature home self-test will pick up conditions that current lab tests don't, such as thyroid resistance. Most digital thermometers are not accurate so find a good basal digital thermometer, the kind used by women to identify their fertile days.

The stopthethyroidmadness (STTM) website has excellent instructions for this self-test, as well as several for adrenal fatigue, which often goes hand-in-hand with low thyroid. The two most common health problems worldwide, they're rarely diagnosed or treated by clueless doctors, including endos. The STTM book puts most doctors to shame.

(I'd always suspected a thyroid problem but it was not until, after 20 years of being told all my lab tests were "normal", that Dr Durrant-Peatfield, the only Broda Barnes trained doctor now in the UK, finally put me on the road to recovery. A year after I insisted my cousin also see this doctor, she said I'd saved her life.)

I also suggest:

- `Hypothyroidism Type 2' by Mark Starr ("type 2" meaning the thyroid problems for which there are no lab tests and therefore they don't get diagnosed) explains how all chronic pain is linked to low thyroid, including those involved with fibromyalgia, diabetes, heart problems, both bleeding & blood clots (including strokes) and some cancers. If you have any kind of chronic pain, you need to know that some are calling low thyroid the silent epidemic (silent because officially denied);

- "Hypothyroidism, Health & Happiness: The Riddle of Illness Revealed" by Steven F. Hotze a good introduction;

- As there is rarely more than a brief mention of the benefits of iodine in thyroid books, I also suggest "Iodine, Why You Need It and Why You Can't Live Without It" by David Brownstein MD. The latest edition is available as an ebook from drbrownstein[dot]directfrompublisher[dot]com

- Platt has some interesting comments and suggestions about fibromyalgia in his book "The Miracle of Bio-identical Hormones: How I Lost My Fatigue, Hot Flashes, ADHD, ADD, Fibromyalgia, PMS, Osteoporosis..."

- "Could it be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses" by Pacholok and Stuart. Also, many with health problems also have high homocysteine levels in the body (a sign of high toxicity - but the NHS apparently will only test for homocysteine after a heart attack!) and one of the best supplements for that is HomocysteX Plus, which includes high doses of both B9 and B12 in the right forms(B9 and B12 must be supplemented together as they are partners and supplementing just one can mask a deficiency of the other, creating further problems). B12 lab tests are inaccurate and the best way to identify a deficiency is to take high dose B12 and B9 for a month.

- Why Am I Always So Tired by Gittleman: the many reasons most of us have too much copper in our bodies and how this causes adrenal burnout and fatigue.

- "The Calcium Lie II" is an intriguing book claiming to explain the root cause of most illnesses.

- any book by Sircus, including "Transdermal Magnesium Therapy" which explains that everyone with a chronic health problem has a magnesium deficiency.

Also, those with fibromyalgia type symptoms experience a significant reduction in their symptoms when taking a melatonin supplement and melatonin can reduce some symptoms of IBS, such as abdominal pain. Melatonin increases the conversion of precursor thyroid hormone T4 to the active T3 form. It can reactivate the important but much-ignored thymus gland, which degenerates almost completely over the years. It also improves zinc absorption, which in turn boosts several immune functions. Melatonin therapy also helps spleen recovery, another immune-system component which declines with age. Its ability to improve sleep and dreaming is a tremendous boon to memory. It is one of the most powerful antioxidants made by the body. Melatonin has been made illegal to sell in this country (only!) and NHS doctors are only allowed to prescribe a maximum of 2mg because it's been made so expensive (just like T3). Yet it is freely sold everywhere else in the EU and also in the US (try Amazon.com although there will be a customs charge when it arrives here).

5.0 out of 5 stars From Fatigued To Fantastic, 22 April 2008
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
If I have learned nothing else from my experiences with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, I have come to understand the need to educate myself about my health issues. Often health care professionals simply don't have the knowledge of how to help my symptoms. Unless they specialize in these conditions, they simply can't keep up with the bulk of current research. Therefore, the onus is on me, as someone dedicated to my good health, to be part of the solution.

For those individuals wanting to educate themselves on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, From Fatigued to Fantastic is a very good resource. It begins with those fundamental questions that we all ask. What are these conditions? What causes them? Why did I get them?

The author then takes the reader deeper into his or her own concerns. Each section lays out particular symptoms, the root of these problems, and what can be done to alleviate these specific issues. I really like that the author sets out a variety of different alternatives. Some involve diet and exercise modification while others involve herbal supplements and/or prescription medication.

5.0 out of 5 stars My path to recovery, 10 Feb 2009
After 11 years of M.E ,I read this - it gave a medical approach to diagnosis & treatment.Teitlebaum is the Guru of ME & FMS knowledge in the US. He himself had the disease as a medical student & has dedicated his work to diagnosis & recovery of these diseases
It is not a book easily read from start to finish for those who do not have a reasonable knowledge of medical problems. However it divided into sections for each problem - so it is only necessary to read the topics or symptoms relevant to each individual case , the methods of diagnosis & the many appendices are a good reference guide.
Full of helpful information about medical tests, which ones to have - & sometimes why they are not effective & how to overcome their limitations.
I used the book to gain recovery ,identifying the relevant tests, treatments & supplements(very important).There is also a web-site to back up the book & provide assistance with the recovery process.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for Sister in Law, 27 May 2014
In the UK there doesn't seem to be much to read about CFS or ME so I bought this book for my sister in law who has just been diagnosed. It is being very helpful and some of the recommendations are already working.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for ME CFS sufferers, 25 Feb 2014
Goes into much more detail but in a language you can understand other than many other books I have read on the subject. Helped to give me more hope to cope with my condition would recommend this for anyone in the same boat.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›