4.0 out of 5 stars Roots
Published on 17 Aug 2010 by David Rowland

3.0 out of 5 stars Roots
This was good although I thought that there was a episode missing as cd number six was not what it said it was. Not to happy
Published 19 months ago by Sophie Hickmot

4.0 out of 5 stars Roots, 17 Aug 2010
David Rowland - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Complete Roots Collection: Original Series (30th Anniversary Edition) [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I watched the complete Roots story right through last weekend and found it gripping, powerful and a vivid portrayal of the journey of one family through history from the mid 1770s to the present day. It starts with Kunte Kinte, a young man of the Mandinka tribe living in Gambia being captured by slave traders, transported in appaling conditions in the hold of a slave ship to America and his descendants facing the horrors of race murder, exploitation, hostility, prejudice and discrimination. It tells of one of the greatest crimes one race of humanity has inflicted upon another to the discrimination faced by black people in the southern states of America. The story is unfinished as slavery still exists today in certain countries, many people in the third world are disadvantaged by globalisation that has been imposed by the west and works to their advantage, black people still face discrimination in America and elsewhere and do not enjoy equality of opportunity and their place in the sun.

The story finishes where it starts in Gambia as the author, Alex Haley, journeys to the scene of Kunter Kinte's capture and Haley is welcomed by the Mandinka tribe like a returning son.

Haley claims that all the events in his family's history actually happened and although some have questioned this claim it does not negate the essential truth told in Roots that despite all the odds stacked against them black people can overcome them and find success.

On a more mundane level I found the very small writing on the discs difficult to read and the double sided discs could be confusing at times when you forget which side you have watched when you take a break but this is a minor inconvenience and should not put anyone off watching such an oustanding and memorable drama.

David Rowland

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking TV - an absolute must see, 16 Nov 2007
I felt compelled to write a review after my mother offered me this DVD boxset. What an incredible piece of work! 30 years on and it has stood the test of time.

The story is so moving, the acting powerful. Maya Angelou just took my breath away! I am now reading all her books.

I had never seen this show before and am so glad I have now. They just don't make TV this powerful anymore.

I do feel I need to say something about Mr Norbert D Machado's review: it is a shame that the packaging has any importance to you. Surely the show is what you should be reviewing. As for Amazon customer services, I too have had to contact them in the past. But I had a great experience, they were understanding and very efficient.

This is a great present for anyone who like powerful drama. I'm certain you will be receiving major brownie points if you offer this :)

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT BOX SET WITH A HIDDEN SURPRISE!, 17 Sep 2010
andy13bt (Scotland. UK) - See all my reviews
ROOTS 30th ANNIVERSARY BOX SET

"ROOTS 30th ANNIVERSARY BOX SET": I find it hard to believe that 30 years has passed since is saw the tv series & due to me staying with my Step-Mum at the time, i was never allowed to miss an episode & i dare not speak while it was on or she would roar at me like a lion saying 'be quiet' (well, that was me told) I was pleased & surprised to see it on "Amazon" & cheaper than anywhere else, this is what i call "a must have item". I was in my late teens/early 20's when i first saw it. Roots made me aware of slavery & how people were bought & sold which really shocked me, i know it started over one or two centuries but it opened my eyes as to what went on, they never mentioned much about it at School. All i can remember is the terrible sale of Africans in to the life of slavery. and through the magic of tv i saw the entire miniseries, i am now 56yrs old & live alone. Explanation: I am disabled, housebound & have to take medication daily which in turn causes short term memory loss(no! i ain't looking for sympathy, far from it) i wanted you to know i am disabled because it makes sense when i say, 'i know that i am going to enjoy watching the "Roots 30th Anniversary box set' what with my bad memory & 30yrs on i've probally forgotten a lot about Roots & i'm really looking forward to watching it again & there's more! Included in the box set is Roots - The next Generation(new to dvd) the 12 hour miniseries continues the saga from the post-Civil war era to Alex Haley's ancestral discovery, & for the icing on the cake you get "Roots: The Gift (new to dvd) 'The Heartwarming Holiday Movie' & here i was just expecting to get "The Roots 30th Anniversary Box Set" but boy was i wrong!, but i was blown away & pleasantly surprised to receive two box sets & a movie. You get all this for 8.79 plus Amazon delivers this Colletion free of charge. I would recommend this box set to anyone & am not sure if this box set is on offer or not as there is up to 70% of dvd'a just now, so for the sake of 8.79 you would be buying a gripping & powerful drama series, well acted plus you get two miniseries & a film too. Nice one Amazon *****

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best TV Drama EVER !, 20 Nov 2007
I have just got this & I have to say I am absolutely delighted this has finally been released. Everyone knows the original series which is basically groundbreaking drama. The big deal for me though is the release of the TV Special - Roots The Gift, & the Next Generation series. These are wonderful sequels to the original show & brings the story right up to the present day. This really is wonderful, compelling, heart rending, powerful TV drama at its very best. I am delighted to recommend this DVD set.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE COMPLETE ROOTS COLLECTION, 6 May 2009
C. Day (Rotherham, South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I bought this collection as I had always been a big fan of the Roots series and I was not disappointed. The only thing I did not like was the fact that the discs are double sided and I always seem to get them mixed up. This apart, it's a great value product

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it the first time, 1 Sep 2010
Great to be able to watch the whole story at once
cried to fill a river

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I remembered, 8 Sep 2009
C. Worrall (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Have only watched the original series so far but it was worth every penny. It was very addictive and I couldn't wait to watch each episode even though I'd seen it when it was first televised. For anyone who hasn't seen it, I'd thoroughly recommend it. Looking forward to watching the rest of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Service, 29 Jan 2009
Fast turnaround, Item exactly as descibed and has brought my Mum hours of entertainment, Thank You...

5.0 out of 5 stars Television that Stands the Test of Time, 8 Feb 2011
Eugene Onegin (Lincoln England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
If you are wondering whether it is worth spending your money and over 1300 minutes of your time on something made over 30 years ago and which has been awarded the dubious label 'a landmark in television', then fear not-for once the hype is justified. The reason Roots is so special lies in the fact that it has an utterly compelling story to tell and it manages to tell it without ever having any sections where the action flags or where you lose concentration. The acting has real conviction and the series achieves that rare alchemy of having real human interest meshed with actual events so that you have a personal view of history as it was lived and experienced by 7 generations of the Haley family. Along the way you will be introduced to many of the big issues of the African American heritage from the unspeakable wickedness of slavery to the equally evil system of discrimination known as 'Jim Crow' up to the tumultuous Civil Rights struggles of the 1960's. This is not however documentary history, but a families' struggle for survival and a better life and it makes for truly inspiring and moving viewing. I first saw Roots as a child of 11 and could remember some of its scenes over 30 years later-they angered me then as they anger me now. The worst mistake we could make watching this splendid series is to think the evils it portrays are ancient history. They are with us still-remember Nelson Mandela had 13 more years to serve when Roots was made. One of the supreme bargains of the DVD catalogue with good vision and sound for the period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roots did it again!, 4 April 2009
Sarah Richson - See all my reviews
Words can't describe how amazing it is, just get yourself the collection and watch it!!!