5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product
This is the updated version of the Pure battery pack, first available at the start of December 2007. I am using it with a Pure One radio.
Published on 3 Jan 2008 by Mr. N. Mckenzie

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for hot kitchens!
Published on 7 Jan 2009 by Douglas Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 3 Jan 2008
It is a package the same size as 6 C type batteries, with a short cable and connector at one end. You plug the connector into a mating connector inside the battery space at the back of the radio, then fit the battery pack into the battery space. This is easy to do. Once fitted, the radio operates with or without mains power being connected. Whenever power is connected, the battery pack charges up and the radio operates from mains power.
The instructions recommend a 24 hour charge initially, which I did though the indicator suggested it was fully charged long before that.
In use I found it lasted for about 20 hours before the radio died. The indicator sits at 4 bars for most of this time then drops off quickly. From the drained state it took about 10 hours to charge again. However, I find it easier to keep the charger at my bedside and plug the radio in each night, so it does not normally fully discharge. This way, it is fully charged by morning and can be used anywhere in the house during the day for as long as needed, without running out of power.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two minor niggles, I would still but it again........, 9 Jan 2008
After having replaced normal batteries a number of times, I bought this item. I also tried some of those cheap batteries from the £1 shop - lasted less than an hr (don't bother buying)!

I am pleased with the item, however potential buyers might like to know........

1. Once the product starts to loose its charge, it can run flat in a short space of time. I recon from three bars on the radio charge indicator to the radio ceasing to work was about 25mins. This can be a pain, so I now make sure that it is connected to the mains every couple of days...not a great problem, but buyers should be aware that the battery pack can loose its charge quickley, like its smaller re-chargeable battery brothers.

2. (Update April 2009) When coonnected to the mains, the unit only appears to charge when down to "one bar". I had originally thought there was a problem, as connecting to the mains when only partially discharged did not initiate charging. Having used now for over a year, I understand more how the product works.

Would I buy the item again - yes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but expensive, 28 Dec 2007
A customer (Asturias) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Genuine Pure Accessory - ChargePAK E1 Rechargeable Battery Pack for Pure Evoke-1S, Evoke-2S, Evoke Flow, Evoke Mio, One Flow and Sensia Radios (Electronics)
This battery is compatible with the Pure Evoke 1S radio , it is expensive but lasts for a long time ( I had it for 2 weeks and so far no need to re charge ).

You might need to order from the pure evoke company directly as it seems to be a shortage at present.

It is fiddly to fit in but there is no need to remove the battery to charge it , just plug the radio the power supply and will recharge quickly.

I wish the radio had one of these fitted to reduce the price a bit.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for hot kitchens!, 7 Jan 2009
Douglas Taylor (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
Buy carefully if you have a cold house! Got this at Christmas to go with a Pure One. Couldn't get it to charge - it was as though there was a connector problem, the charging icon wouldn't come on except momentarly and by the time you got the battery compartment closed it was off again. So - got a replacement, same problem. Found a blog suggesting that it might be ambient temperature related. The weather has certainly been very cold of late and I'm too mean to turn the heating up. Seems its operating (ie charging) range is 15-45 deg C. Tried a few experiments in a warmer than average room and got it to charge OK.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have for a portable radio!, 20 Dec 2010
A. Pendlebury (UK) - See all my reviews
The Chargepak A1 is specific to the Pure One Mi DAB/FM Radio and works well as a rechargeable battery pack - a necessity in order to make this portable radio portable (which wasn't initially clear to me when I first bought this radio)!

The chargepak is compact and light - adding negligible weight to the radio.

It is advertised as lasting upto 18 hours (depending on use). During first use, on a full charge, it lasted nearly 20 hours on fairly low volume (position 7 or 8) with good signal strength. It was noted as being 'fully charged' because it did stop charging after several hours.

The instructions do state, "When charging your ChargePAK for the first time or after an extended period of inactivity it is recommended that it is charged for around 24 hours to ensure full battery power."

However, on recharging the battery (with the radio plugged into the mains power) it does not seem to stop charging!? After almost two weeks (yes, 2 weeks!) it was still reportedly recharging!? However, in disconnecting the radio from the mains, the battery lasted for well over 19 hours.

On a third recharge I left it charging for just a day (a full 24+ hours) before disconnecting from the mains. It was still reportedly charging. The battery lasted almost 20 hours. So it does appear to charge up OK in the stated time, it's just that it doesn't appear to stop charging or give a true indication as to whether it is charged, except apparently the first time it was charged?! But may be this is an issue with the radio itself and not the battery per se?

A must have for a portable radio and does it's job well - but remember to unplug it when you think it's been charged enough!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy one of these, 15 Sep 2008
I have owned the previous version (C6X) of the chargepak for around 2 years. Currently it gives around 15 minutes of play before it dies. When I called Pure's customer helpline, I explained that the product was out of warranty and that I appreciated that I would not be refunded. However, the lady who answered was quite defensive and explained that, as the product has a one year guarantee, Pure expect it to last only around 12 months. If this is so, then £30 seems a lot to pay for occasional use away from the mains in one year.

My experience of rechargeable batteries is generally far better - mobile phones, digital cameras and multi-purpose rechargeable batteries. I feel that there must be something wrong with the chargepak if Pure have such low expectations regarding its lifetime. I also have a Pure Oasis which has given many years of excellent performance under recharging. Maybe the chargepak unit is unsuitable for the Evoke 3 in which I use it. The lady at Pure would not give me any information as to whether they had any issues with the unit, or whether other customers had cause to complain.

I was informed that Pure have upgraded the C6X to the current C6L unit. When I asked, the lady at Pure said that this unit too was expected to have an approximate life of one year.

I consider the chargepak to be an expensive waste of money and, judging from the above conversation with Pure, a product designed to last only one year.

1.0 out of 5 stars I can confirm the awful battery life, 21 May 2009
I don't usually write reviews but I have to say that I was so unimpressed with the battery life of my first chargepak that I feel compelled to tell everybody else how bad it is. I too phoned the lady at Evoke and she was similarly defensive saying that you should expect a year's worth of life out of it...! That's pretty bad by today's rechargeable technology standards. I actually thought the battery was faulty when it first started 'paking' in (couldn't resist the pun)...

My Evoke 2xt is great, shame about the battery... When technology is this bad you've just got to say something...

1.0 out of 5 stars Charge PAK C6L poor performance, 7 Mar 2009
I feel I must agree with some fellow customers. Despite keepng my Evoke-3 fully software updated (including the Pure update for battery economy) the performance from the Charge PAK is disappointing to say the least. The unit was charged correctly from new but no way will it run the radio for 40 hours ! more like 3-4 from new, now 18 months later 10 - 15 minutes !! so I'll stick with mains and dry cells when I need portable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Battery life very disappointing, 10 Feb 2009
I have owned a Pure One Radio with the Chargepak C6L battery from new for 18 months. The connector plug is at the end of a short cable and it is a fiddly process pushing the plug into the socket at the base of the battery compartment, not an easy task for someone who suffers from arthritis or who is similarly disabled. I have been very pleased with the radio itself and purchased another one for my wife. Quality of reception and ease of channel changing etc very pleasing. However, this report is about the battery pack and it is this with which I take issue. The battery has kept its charge well requiring recharging perhaps every two weeks or so. Then a few days ago the radio went dead and the ChargePak battery refuses to charge. Having checked all possible causes of the problem by using my wife's battery and radio with the charging unit I regret to report that my ChargePak battery is totally dead. I e-mailed Pure Support for advice but have received no reply. In view of the comments of other users I do not expect to receive any sympathy. It seems I was fortunate to have a battery last as long as eighteen months. Pure One's advertising boasts that it is eco friendlier to buy a ChargePak rather than conventional batteries but I am not impressed. At £28 or more a throw I consider this to be very expensive and poor value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars ChargePAK E1, 3 May 2009
M HALL (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Installed into my Evoke Flow in seconds, just make sure you don't force it in - it will only enter the socket one way! Slightly fiddly as the cord is just a tad short.

Do not remove any part of the ChargePAK - it's cased in a white paper like material that looks like its asking to be ripped off, but it's not - don't do it!

Battery charges inside the radio, so you don't need to worry about buying a charger or removing the PAK from the radio.

Thanks for reading.