5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally high quality & excellent value
This is a high-end machine, make no mistake about it.

Published on 9 Dec. 2007 by M. Knell

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a start
Hey all. I got tired of the waiting to see how things are going to pan out and bought a HD-DVD player to go with my PS3.
So which of the formats is the best in my opinion? Neither. Both offer the same as far as I can see. Take someone off the street who isn't really interested in the HD war and I suspect that they won't be able to tell the difference between the...
Published on 8 Dec. 2007 by The usual suspect

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally high quality & excellent value, 9 Dec. 2007
M. Knell (GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba HD-EP35 - HD DVD Player - With 1080P Full HD & 7.1 Audio Output - Plus 2 Free HD DVD's (Electronics)
This is a high-end machine, make no mistake about it.

The HD EP35 is fully featured with a range of resolution outputs from standard definition all the way up to HD @ 720p; 1080i; 1080p/60 & 1080p/24, it offers audio from Dolby Digital plus through to the fully 'lossless' Dolby True HD, it has optical and analogue audio outputs and full internet connectivity
(and HD DVD discs offer a growing level of on-line content, extras and movie themed shopping opportunities, some, all or none of which might appeal to the movie fan and their family).

The EP35 also offers 'Deep Colour' which may become a big deal in the HD TV world later on, even if it doesn't mean too much now.
You can connect it up by it's HDMI (1.3) output or component output
(if you really have to there is also a composite connection but this can only allow standard definition, it might be handy for some some of the time).

For such a new technology the UK market the price is very low (who recalls how much 'ordinary' DVD was when it first appeared?).
This is especially so when compared to the Blu-ray offerings
It's actually a bit of a shock to see HD DVD's high-end at less than the level of the Blu-ray entry level
(which, let's face it, is really just a game console format as it revolves almost totally around the Playstation 3).

Thanks to HD DVD being 100% region-free, everytime, HD DVD owners can import HD DVD discs from around the world - that's not something that is hard to do now with the internet (and some on-line shops will even do it for you).
Thanks to this it turns out that HD DVD actually offers over 10% more movie content and over 10% more exclusive movies when compared to Blu-ray.

I bought my HD EP35 with the 7 free disc offer and have nothing but praise for this player.
It upscales regular DVDs very well and it's HD DVD playback is flawless.

I have mine connected to my receiver by the analogue audio outputs (which means you don't need a receiver with a 1.3/1.3a HDMI connection to enjoy the new audio standards).

This is where the HD EP35 really scores over the EP30 and is in my view well worth spending the extra on.
The 5.1 audio is simply stunning, the '300' (which came in the box with 'The Bourne Supremacy) just sounded amazing.
So clear, so crisp and so 'OMG!'.
I've tried a couple of music HD DVDs and all I can say is "Wow!", it's just so impressive.
It was a real noticeable step up from the DTS/Dolby Digital I had been used to before on 'ordinary' DVD. ;)

It's true that these new HD DVD players are a little slower to respond than my regular SD DVD player but it's only a few seconds.
Mine is silent and makes no fan or mechanical noises.

I've updated the firmware, this is easy either on-line or by contacting Toshiba and asking if they will send you out a disc with a new firmware on it, just pop it in the player and press 'ok' and it will do the rest (they will send it to you if you give them your name, address, where you bought the unit and it's serial number).

This would be a great regular DVD player (with a performance the equal of equipment like the Denon regular DVD players and which cost many times the Toshiba HD EP35's price).
The fact that is also offers an excellent HD DVD performance too is just incredible.

This is easily the best DVD player I've ever bought, by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome piece of kit!, 25 Nov. 2007
Scotty (Tyne & Wear) - See all my reviews
Have to agree with the other reviewer that 1080p 24 is amazing with this player, it really gives you the WOW factor and I certainly noticed a difference between this and 1080i Sky HD. Add the value of the 7 free HD DVD's and I don't think you can go wrong. If you have a Toshiba TV with Regza Link even better as you can control all from one remote also. Even the wife who doesen't usually appreciate stuff like this was blown away when I put on a disc to show her. Also have to say that SD DVD's are excellent also when upscalled to 1080p although you have to ensure that you change the resolution down from 1080p 24 to 720p or 1080p in order you don't get judder. It's a bit annoying having to go through set-up every time you do this and a resolution button would have been a useful addition to the remote.

Anyway, this machine comes highly recommended!

P.S. There is lot's of advice available on the forum sites for those who are looking for set-up hints and tips and firmware issues!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another credit to the HD DVD format, 29 Nov. 2007
D. I. Shipley "David Shipley" (KENT United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
My previous HD DVD player was an EP10 which in my opinion was good enough to sell me completely into the world of HD DVD. Being something of an audiophile, I did, however,wish to take advantage of the HDMI decoding offered by my Onkyo HDMI AV Amp. The EP10 does not have the bitstream ability to send individual sound formats for decoding via HDMI, so while the PCM sound that was coming through my amp was good, I knew that it could be better. The main feature of the EP35 (which is the top of the range model of Toshiba's third generation HD DVD players) is its ability to bitstream the various HD Audio formats to a suitably equipped HDMI AV Amp. The result is superb sound in each Hi Def Audio format.
The other attraction of the EP35 was its Rich Colour function which is not available on the EP10 either.

So having gotten hold of an EP35 what are my thoughts. Well in a word this player is awesome. Individual sound formats being decoded in their own right are simply better than in PCM. Dolby TruHD and DTS-HD Master are absolutely stunning to listen too and have their own distinct signature.
The rich colour function does improve the picture and films like 2001 look simpy incredible on the EP35.
The EP35 player (also like other HD DVD players) has an ethernet port for obtaining updates and downloading internet extras that are available via various HD DVD discs
A tip if you want to enjoy the individual sound formats via HDMI to a suitable HDMI AV Receiver:
Go into Setup - Audio - then set the Digital Out SPDIF to Bitstream. Follow that with setting the Digital Out HDMI to Auto. Then set the Digital Direct Audio mode to On.

To sum up, I love this player and now look forward to adding too my collection of HD DVD discs. Oh and by the way, the 7 free HD DVDs accompanying this player are a very pleasant addition, indeed. Thank you very much. While Blu-ray remains an overpriced and still incomplete format (although 1.1 is at last imminent) HD DVD remains its equal in picture and sound but for a lower cost. That is the format's strength over its rival.

5.0 out of 5 stars first impressions, 16 Jan. 2008
Mr. E. Meaney "nogeek" (scotland) - See all my reviews
I got this player for xmas and I think its a great deal . I had a wharfdale player that only played standard dvd's . I have a sony 40 w2000 1080p tv and was thinking of an upscaling dvd player ,avoiding the 'format war ' for the time being , I saw Denon getting good reviews of theirs but they were pretty expensive . Then I saw this , if I went to Asda and got the included 7 films it would cost around 140 quid , so your getting a really good upscalling player for 130 , the fact that it's also hd in any way I consider a brilliant bonus .
I went for this dearer deck because it has "deep colour" , I phoned Sony and they said this was compatible with their "live colour creation " and after reading about it I thought this would give even better picture performance .It also has more audio outputs so,after watching and hearing the 300 disc , I'm thinking about a surround system now , onkyo have some receivers that handle the audio via hdmi that get good reviews, maybe someday.
The performance of the deck on my tv is brilliant , in the scene of New York near the end of the Bourne film you can count the windows in every skyscraper, it's sharp as a tack . The latest Ghost in the shell movie and Appleseed Manga's look brilliant upscaled, as do ordinary films.
As to which format is the best ,my son has a 60gb ps3 and he reckons , after watching spiderman 3 on blu-ray and some hd-dvd , the Toshiba has a better picture

5.0 out of 5 stars EP35 - WOW, 31 Jan. 2008
D. Edwards (Cambs. UK) - See all my reviews
Could not believe my eyes or ears, a perfect player and for £190 you can't go wrong. I would suggest buying a better HDMI lead as the supplied one is OK but not great. I noticed another reviewer mention that he updated his firmware, well I hooked mine up to the internet and my firmware was the latest one going.... Well done Amazon.
I don't know which way the Blu-ray/HDDVD war is going to go but even if Blu-ray wins this is still a great near-1080P upscaler + there are loads of HDDVD films already produced to keep me happy for a long time yet......

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a HD-DVD Player., 14 Jan. 2008
MR R. (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this player for just over a week and have to say this is a quality player. I'm an AV addict who has never posted a review before but felt that the EP35 deserved my comments.

The High Def picture quality from HD-DVD discs is outstanding, as is the audio playback. If connected to your broadband connection you get access to the film studios own server to view even more content of the movie you are watching (great for movie buffs). Put in a standard DVD and this machine upscales the picture beautifully, as good or if not better than a Standard DVD player of the same price.

In addition to this the player comes with 2 free HD-DVD's in the box + return a downloadable voucher and get another 5 absolutely free.

My verdict: A quality HD-DVD player + superior upscaling SD-DVD player + 7 free HD-DVD's. It's a no brainer.... buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars HP-E35, 23 Nov. 2007
Paul Mills-khan "PJM" (UK) - See all my reviews
Superb picture & build quality, significantly improved over the 1st & 2nd generation Toshiba HD-DVD players. 1080p 24fps output is awesome on a 1080p screen. Good disc loading times and all firmware in place. Use HDMI for 7.1 sound - you wont believe your ears!!! Standard DVD upscale results very impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIFE OF TOSHIBA HD-EP35, 26 Mar. 2008
Robert Dyet "22bad4u" (West Lothian, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Received HD-EP35 on Tues 25 Mar 08. Was a little miffed to see the box had been punctured on the underside of the box. Now I could have swore an made a very rude phone call an got upset over it, However all appeared well albeit couriers need to take it easy with peeps goods.

The unit is a sleek design in piano black finish. The instructions were easy to follow, it took less than 5 minutes register online and check for updates, a further 5 mins to hook up and be on my network for firmware updates there were 2 tho 1 only was required. Once completed an setup finished I finally unwrapped Transformers, I had been waiting a long time to see this in HD, the machine exploded into life with sound (from Pioneer VSX-908RDS THX) an picture (from Samsung LE37M87BDX LCD) and was awsome, it has played flawlessly so far. Standard DVD's on this are absolutely fine upscalng is impressive at 1080p/24. In my opinion this is a nice piece of kit at a very reasonable price (£119 from amazon).

On Thurs I will be adding a Pioneer VSX-1017 (Home Cinema Choice's Best Buy May 2008 issue) which will give me True HD sound. This will complete my HD Setup.

I am fully aware that BluRay v HD DVD war has been settled, I had been getting HD DVDs for nearly 9 months as this IMHO is the better format. I also own a Playstation 3 & 8 BluRay films, I will enjoy comparing both formats.

5.0 out of 5 stars NICE'N'EASY, 12 Feb. 2008
David Penhaligon "West Country Man" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
I received my EP35 on Saturday before 1pm as promised. Very quick & easy to setup, once unpacked & the instructions studied it took less than 5 minutes to hook it all up and be on my network checking for firmware updates - of which there were none at present. I bought this so I could watch the original Star Trek Season 1 HD DVD release, which the machine has played flawlessly so far with both picture & sound being superb. I have also watched standard DVD's on this and have had absolutely no problems at all and the upscalng is impressive. I am neither an audiophile nor videophile (if there is such a word), but in my opinion this is a nice piece of kit at a reasonable price.
As far as Blu-Ray vs HD DVD goes there is little or no difference in what the average viewer is going to experience, I also own a Playstation 3 & a few Blu-Ray films, but price wise HD DVD is at present very good value. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba HD-EP35 - HD DVD Player, 30 Mar. 2008
Bought this back in february and have had to wait while i sort out a new flatscreen to pair it with. Eventually chose a new Panasonic 37 inch plasma, the th37px80. when playing Planet Earth on HD, the picture is amazingly clear considering the set is not 1080p. the processor in the Panasonic accepts 1080p signal and also 24p playback. normal upscaling is also very good. It's very quiet in operation and basically a very good buy at £139 with two HD titles.